Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Any 402,403, or 408 guys use this size cam with LS3 heads before?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
don't be hating for us not putting up cam specs.It wouldn't be fair to our customers to give away what they had to pay for.
Man get off that tired *** line. Most sponsors here put up their cam specs and are not afraid to do so knowing that is how you sell product, you show its specs and give a general description of what it can do. Sponsors sell their cams knowing they are selling to enthusiasts like me who will in turn speak of the place they did business with who gave them a good understanding and description of what they bought before they bought it. I could care less if my competition bought the same cam I did, he better hope he did his research and got an intake,heads and shortblock to complement that cam.

If someone asked me about a Virginia Speed cam, there is nothing I know of it except its mid 230's like you always post. So I in turn have to direct them to a sponsor willing to show their cam specs so I can explain to them what that cam will do in their 346,383,402,418 or whatever. Would you buy a fuel pump on the internet and all the description said to you was that it flowed gas and its 12v electric without knowing other specs?

If you were building a setup for a race team I could understand the propriety of cam specs to give that person the edge over the rest, but c'mon 98% of this site are ENTHUSIASTS like me. I know I am wasting my breath and time typing this but you need to get off that " its not fair to the guy who bought it" line.

Last edited by 87silverbullet; 08-12-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thedak
2xx/2xx 6xx 1xx LSA

GTFO
Originally Posted by WKMCD
Hey, that's the same cam I'm running... rootbeer
Do either of you street race or are you on a race team? If not whats the secrecy about?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 20 years of racing on tracks but I don't "street" race.

I do respect the time and talents of the people who work on my car. Let's look at the dollars for a minute. The markup on cams is about $50 per cam - not a lot. I know VA Speed has some very expensive cam/lobe design software that they use to spec a cam. Some of that $50 goes to paying for the software. Some of it goes for other R&D they do. Not all of which is on the customers dime. You need to sell a lot of cams just to pay your investment costs to say nothing of years invested in learning their craft. This is going to be the same for every successful shop.

I give out the specs - how many customers do they loose who now call Comp and have the cam ground.

Shops sell there expertise - same as a doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. You can make the argument that the doctor and lawyers services should be free because it didn't cost them anything to render an opinion.

There's an old joke about a technician charging a customer $100 to what ended up being nothing more than turning a screw. Then the customer said "$100 and all you did was turn a screw." The tech replied "turning the screw was only $5. Knowing what screw to turn is $95.."

All that being said, I would never put a cam in my car without personally knowing the specs - which I do. I also honor the request that I not discuss the specs.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 25x-27x was spec'd by VA speed
Old 08-12-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I have 20 years of racing on tracks but I don't "street" race.

I do respect the time and talents of the people who work on my car. Let's look at the dollars for a minute. The markup on cams is about $50 per cam - not a lot. I know VA Speed has some very expensive cam/lobe design software that they use to spec a cam. Some of that $50 goes to paying for the software. Some of it goes for other R&D they do. Not all of which is on the customers dime. You need to sell a lot of cams just to pay your investment costs to say nothing of years invested in learning their craft. This is going to be the same for every successful shop.

I give out the specs - how many customers do they loose who now call Comp and have the cam ground.

Shops sell there expertise - same as a doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. You can make the argument that the doctor and lawyers services should be free because it didn't cost them anything to render an opinion.

There's an old joke about a technician charging a customer $100 to what ended up being nothing more than turning a screw. Then the customer said "$100 and all you did was turn a screw." The tech replied "turning the screw was only $5. Knowing what screw to turn is $95.."

All that being said, I would never put a cam in my car without personally knowing the specs - which I do. I also honor the request that I not discuss the specs.
Ok lets speak about the dollars. If you were to buy a truck, would you go to the person who just tells you "I got a truck to sell" or would you go to the person who gives you a full description of the truck he is selling? If you go the person who is willing to tell you about the truck then he will sell more trucks and cars, thus make more money. You can see in these Gen III and IV engine sections there are Tr224 and TSP 228 and Tsp Giants and Vindicators running rampant all over. Why? Because people know the specs and are given the description of what it will do.

When I ask for the cam specs on this site I don't expect to know eveything about the cam. Just give the dur. and lift. Without knowing the sep. angle and what lobes I most likely cannot produce the same cam. Geoff at EPS shows his specs and his cams are really catching on, his lobes (EPS lobes) are proprietary though. He has years of expertise of being formally with Thunder Racing and created the TR224 and Trex. He didn't hide none of the specs but the lobes.

Yes I know about selling expertise, I worked at a GM dealer Yes accountants and lawyers sell their expertise but they do advertise what they do and what they can help you with. Then they show you what they are going to use to help you.

As far as not letting out the specs of your cam I understand that, it is not your job to do that, you didnt create it.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't be hating for us not putting up cam specs.It wouldn't be fair to our customers to give away what they had to pay for.
definetly the most rediculous thing i've ever heard. if you are wondering why no one in the true competitive racing classes considers your company, this is why. camshaft companies have been around for decades and decades and everyone not only gives out camshaft specs, but they give out a cam card. this is essential information when building an engine for serious duty. period. you should consider yourself lucky that 17 year olds from ls1tech carry your company by buying into your marketing ploys.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to run Texas Speed 251/259 Camshaft, but on a 114+3.

My motor is a 408ish (+) size motor, 12:1 compression , ported/valve job/milled L92 heads, Vic Jr intake. I plan on spraying atleast a 175, maybe a 225 down the road on it.

Going into a 2800lb mustang with a TH350 with a converter that should flash around 4500.

TBH, I don't know how it's going to run, I called Texas Speed. Told them I was running a 408, with L92 heads with a single plane, and this was the only cam that they really offered me.

I originally was going to spec out something like a 234/240 .600/.620 (or some sort of LSL/LSR lobe) 114+3, but the guy from TSP, plus my engine builder told me it would that cam would be "eaten up" by the CI of the motor.

I hope the car runs well, but if it doesn't I'll just go with something like the cam specc'd above. Any advice?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by IHEARTLS1
definetly the most rediculous thing i've ever heard. if you are wondering why no one in the true competitive racing classes considers your company, this is why. camshaft companies have been around for decades and decades and everyone not only gives out camshaft specs, but they give out a cam card. this is essential information when building an engine for serious duty. period. you should consider yourself lucky that 17 year olds from ls1tech carry your company by buying into your marketing ploys.
Hold on dude, I might be ripping Shawn a little bit here, but Virginia Speed has a hand in building the fastest drag radial car in the country. Vir. Spd. will give you a cam card IF you buy their cam but before hand you will know nothing. They are a good shop to deal with as far as their skills on building fast *** cars, but you are kept in the dark if you are on the outside looking in.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

really-you might and try to educate yourself before you type.
FYI-i'm not sure how many 17 years old buy $30,000.00 engines-it must be alot be cause we sure do have alot of them rolling out the door.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You sir, are clueless...........
Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Hold on dude, I might be ripping Shawn a little bit here, but Virginia Speed has a hand in building the fastest drag radial car in the country. Vir. Spd. will give you a cam card IF you buy their cam but before hand you will know nothing. They are a good shop to deal with as far as their skills on building fast *** cars, but you are kept in the dark if you are on the outside looking in.
the thing is-we're not a cam company.We do sell cams to people who are looking for good quality parts that work and are willing to pay for it.We build engines and cars,to be with the guys at the top of the heap you have to have an edge,that edge has to be kept secret.I think you will find this with most serious engine builders.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

I don't care to get into secret cam debates, on why specs don't' need to be posted.

Sometimes I've said lobes that aren't even the real cam specs.
I've doctored competitors cams sometimes they do same thing

look at engine masters, tell me everyone is running the cams specs they say?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AES Racing
I don't care to get into secret cam debates, on why specs don't' need to be posted.

Sometimes I've said lobes that aren't even the real cam specs.
I've doctored competitors cams sometimes they do same thing
Lie to your customers and they won't be true to you.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

Lie to your customers and they won't be true to you.
never said I did that, Customer wants to know the intake centerline i'll be sure to inform them, I know a shop that won't even give that out.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

the thing is-we're not a cam company.We do sell cams to people who are looking for good quality parts that work and are willing to pay for it.We build engines and cars,to be with the guys at the top of the heap you have to have an edge,that edge has to be kept secret.I think you will find this with most serious engine builders.
So, you will tell LG Motorsports and Katech you have an edge on them? There are customers like me who don't believe in this secrecy you got going on. Its somewhat of a selling game with this secrecy that you have the magical setup to make the power of a motor come out. I don't buy it one bit.

I asked you to show me some of the engines you have built and to post cam specs but I got neither, all I got was some secrecy about the cam specs.
Your object here would be to win me over and prove to me that you are the company I want to go to with and talk about to my colleagues. I might not have the money to spend with you but I have colleagues that do and there is nothing I can tell them about you. Bottom line, I need something concrete not these falsehoods of what you did or what you built and nothing to back it up. I can't show them 2xx/2xx 6xx/6xx/1xx. That doesn't fly with them. Once again I am wasting my breath and time. I dont expect the real response that is needed from this.

Don't tell me it raining and all you're doing is pissing on my head.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 PM
FormerVendor

So, you will tell LG Motorsports and Katech you have an edge on them? There are customers like me who don't believe in this secrecy you got going on. Its somewhat of a selling game with this secrecy that you have the magical setup to make the power of a motor come out. I don't buy it one bit.

I asked you to show me some of the engines you have built and to post cam specs but I got neither, all I got was some secrecy about the cam specs.
Your object here would be to win me over and prove to me that you are the company I want to go to with and talk about to my colleagues. I might not have the money to spend with you but I have colleagues that do and there is nothing I can tell them about you. Bottom line, I need something concrete not these falsehoods of what you did or what you built and nothing to back it up. I can't show them 2xx/2xx 6xx/6xx/1xx. That doesn't fly with them. Once again I am wasting my breath and time. I dont expect the real response that is needed from this.

Don't tell me it raining and all you're doing is pissing on my head.
Why is it wrong for us to keep our cam specs to ourself?I do more to help out the people on this forum than most-but this just isn't good enough for you.You just want somebody to give you what other worked hard for.Why don't you call up a nascar team and ask them for their cam specs or a pro stock engine builder and ask the same.After they stop laughing at you and will simpy tell you no.There are no games-this is business,it's easier for people to copy than figure it out on their own.That's why we have patents-to stop the lazy people from stealing other peoples ideas.Same premise here,it's just that you want somebody to give you all the info on a silver platter for free,but i won't so you are throwing a fit.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...z-l92-gto.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...m-521rwhp.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...s-508rwhp.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-l92-fast.html
Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 PM
FormerVendor

BTW.how come it is ok for LG to have cams with no specs?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Why is it wrong for us to keep our cam specs to ourself?I do more to help out the people on this forum than most-but this just isn't good enough for you.You just want somebody to give you what other worked hard for.Why don't you call up a nascar team and ask them for their cam specs or a pro stock engine builder and ask the same.After they stop laughing at you and will simpy tell you no.There are no games-this is business,it's easier for people to copy than figure it out on their own.That's why we have patents-to stop the lazy people from stealing other peoples ideas.Same premise here,it's just that you want somebody to give you all the info on a silver platter for free,but i won't so you are throwing a fit.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...z-l92-gto.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...m-521rwhp.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...s-508rwhp.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-l92-fast.html
See, just like I expected. Shawn I am not asking you to give me 100% of the cam specs, just 10% of the specs. just that 10% of knowledge will open doors for you.

As I posted earlier, if you are building it for a race team I understand keeping the specs secret, but it is not for a race team. We all know you can't call any Nascar team and get any cam specs from them. I can go to most sponsors here and get what I want from them. Tell me Shawn yes or no, could I copy the cam from you if all you gave me was duration and lift? I never asked for all the info, you just don't give any of the info.

I have followed and read all those threads Shawn and they don't tell anything. I can't bring that to nobody. I'll just keep referring people to TSP, Speed Inc, and Thunder Racing for their go fast needs.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

BTW.how come it is ok for LG to have cams with no specs?
Never said it was ok. You are the company in question at this point, not them.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM
FormerVendor

See, just like I expected. Shawn I am not asking you to give me 100% of the cam specs, just 10% of the specs. just that 10% of knowledge will open doors for you.

As I posted earlier, if you are building it for a race team I understand keeping the specs secret, but it is not for a race team. We all know you can't call any Nascar team and get any cam specs from them. I can go to most sponsors here and get what I want from them. Tell me Shawn yes or no, could I copy the cam from you if all you gave me was duration and lift? I never asked for all the info, you just don't give any of the info.

I have followed and read all those threads Shawn and they don't tell anything. I can't bring that to nobody. I'll just keep referring people to TSP, Speed Inc, and Thunder Racing for their go fast needs.
so why is it ok for a race team to have secrect specs but not an engine builder?

Quick Reply: Any 402,403, or 408 guys use this size cam with LS3 heads before?