Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Forged LS2 403 road racing project with Virginia Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Forged LS2 403 road racing project with Virginia Speed

The Virginia Speed team, led by Shawn Miller and Ed Hutchings, are building me a new forged LS2 403 engine for my 2004 Corvette C5 Coupe after my LS6 based 383 decided to call it quits after 5 years of excellent service last weekend at the Virginia International Raceway (VIR)!

The new GM short block will be CNC machined, blue printed, and use forged Callies Compstar crank and rods, and forged Wiseco pistons. The target CR is approx. 11.4:1 for 93 octane gas. I am looking forward to receiving progress reports from Shawn and Ed here to share with everyone.

The build includes: ARP head bolts, hardened push rods, ATI balancer, Comp Cam 921 dual valve springs, and a custom spec cam optimized for road racing since my C5 is basically a dedicated track car with some daily driving to work.

Fortunately, when the LS6 bottom end gave way, it didn’t damage many of the performance items that can now be transferred to the new LS2 engine, which includes the following:
  • AFR 205 heads (machined, valve job, ported and polished)
  • FAST 90 Intake Manifold and GM LS2 Throttle Body (ported by Vengeance Racing)
  • American Racing Headers 1 ¾” long tube headers with high flow catalytic converters.
  • Yella Terra Ultralight 1.7 Roller Rockers
  • Katech Adjustable Belt Tensioner
  • 42# SVO flow matched Fuel Injectors
  • Lingenfelter Oil Cooler with Canton Racing Oil Thermostat
The build project will include the installation of a new RPS Street Twin Carbon clutch and flywheel kit, DeWitts Performance Aluminum Radiator, RPM Torque Tube Polyurethane Couplers, Canton Racing 3 quart Accusump System and updated F55 [suspension software] removal. Other performance components already on the C5 include:
  • Callaway Honker Cold Air Intake (CAI)
  • GM T1 Transmission Cooler
  • GM Z06 Power Steering Cooler
  • AMW Oil Catch Can
  • Elite Engineering tunnel brace
  • RPM Transmission “Level V” MN6 Transmission
  • DTE Stage 2 Micro-polished 3.42 gear set with 300M HD Output Shaft
  • LG GT2 Adjustable Coilovers
  • GHL Bullet SS Exhaust
  • PFADT Camber and Control Arm Bushing Kit - Poly/Aluminum Sleeves
  • LG G-Stop Wilwood 6-piston front calipers with Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
  • MGW short shifter
  • Piper Motorsports Full SCCA Roll Cage with Fire Suppression System
  • Sparco EVO 2 Plus Race Seats with Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
  • CCW C14 18” wheels
<Click on photo for video of Grand East Course at VIR>

Last edited by AlohaC5; 10-08-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a nice build and Im sure that they will build a very reliable motore for you. They know there stuff. Good luck with it all and keep us updated
Old 08-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you are building a beast and you seem to have the car very well sorted. Who do you roadrace with? I ran with NASA for several years but finances have limited that fun of late.

I also understand you live right down the road from me. I live off Falling Creek Dr; off of the 234 bypass. If you get to jonesing for your vette come over you can borrow mine

Good luck and let me know if you need anything.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Mike. I also run with NASA and participate in events with Chin Motorsports, Track Daze, Mazda Drivers, SVT Cobra Mustang Club (SCMC) and THSCC. Jumping into Time Trails in 2011 with this new setup. I hope to get the car back in time to put some street miles on it before going to VIR the first weekend of November (if possible). I dropped off my vette 4 weeks ago and hope to get a status soon from the VA Speed team. Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

killer setup. Did you have the AFRs opened up for the 403?

Are the z06 ducts functional? (this might be one of the small percentage of cars here which would benefit from brake ducting)
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irish350
killer setup. Did you have the AFRs opened up for the 403?

Are the z06 ducts functional? (this might be one of the small percentage of cars here which would benefit from brake ducting)
Shawn will be machining my AFR heads to port match the FAST 90 intake manifold and open the chambers for the 403. The Z06 brake cooling ducts are functional and definitely help with the hard braking. Also running front brake ducts. Should definitely be a killer setup on the road courses!

Last edited by AlohaC5; 08-30-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet build! What are your plans for keeping oil in the motor? I'm sure you're aware of the LS2/3/7 oil issues on track
Old 08-30-2010, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Sweet build! What are your plans for keeping oil in the motor? I'm sure you're aware of the LS2/3/7 oil issues on track
I'm having them install a Canton Racing 3-quart Accusump system, which should address any potential issues. This project also includes the following items in addition to the new forged LS2 motor and tune:
  • RPS Street Twin Carbon clutch and flywheel kit
  • DeWitts Performance Aluminum Radiator
  • RPM Torque Tube Polyurethane Couplers
  • Updated F55 [suspension software] removal
Can't wait to get it back to VIR!!

Last edited by AlohaC5; 08-31-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

I concur that your car will definately be a beast on the roadrace circuit.

I was the NASA TT Director for the state of Texas for a couple of years and I can say that group can get a little wild but really good guys for the most part.

One question; Are you running a diff cooler? I went with one on my car because I was putting in the trans cooler anyway. I have mine in the back brake duct area so it defeats the rear brake duct cooling. Although I never had issues with the back brakes getting too hot but I have cracked far more front rotors than I care to count.

I would assume you are pretty close to TTU with the mods you are running maybe even TTR if the HP to Weight is up there. What tires do you run?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Mike, Thanks. I'm running a GM T1 transmission cooler, but no differential cooler (yet). However, I change the fluid in the diff often to keep it fresh. No cracked rear rotors (knock on wood), but am definitely stressing the front brakes. I use the blank rotors - no drilled or slotted. I run Hoosier R6 335/30-18 and 315/30-18 tires.

I spoke to George at VA Speed yesterday. They said my car should be ready in mid-September - probably ready for pick up on 24th! Ed and Shawn said they expect to post some pics this Friday or early next week of the build progress. Mike

Originally Posted by MikeZ06402
I concur that your car will definately be a beast on the roadrace circuit.

I was the NASA TT Director for the state of Texas for a couple of years and I can say that group can get a little wild but really good guys for the most part.

One question; Are you running a diff cooler? I went with one on my car because I was putting in the trans cooler anyway. I have mine in the back brake duct area so it defeats the rear brake duct cooling. Although I never had issues with the back brakes getting too hot but I have cracked far more front rotors than I care to count.

I would assume you are pretty close to TTU with the mods you are running maybe even TTR if the HP to Weight is up there. What tires do you run?

Last edited by AlohaC5; 09-02-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it's going to be a long couple of weeks - waiting.

I know the feeling. Hang in there. I'm sure you're going to be crazy happy when it's done.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 PM
FormerVendor

A C6 oil pan makes sense for many reasons.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a road trip in the works

I am sure you have the appropriate trailer rig but I have one as well if you need it (F250 Diesel with 18' Sloan Kwikload tiltbed) and I am itching to get down to Va Beach, awesome croaker fishing in the bay.

BTW, is that a picture of you at Summit Point? Looks vaguely familiar
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Mike - I appreciate the offer. Yup, I also have a F250 Super Duty Diesel with a Aluminum Trailex trailer that I plan to bring down when its time. I still like the idea of a road trip to VA Speed! There are a few of us that usually go down when we pick up a vette that's been "upgraded" at their shop. I'll post the date once I get it from Shawn and Ed - probably on a Friday.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wanted to come
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Thanks Mike - I appreciate the offer. Yup, I also have a F250 Super Duty Diesel with a Aluminum Trailex trailer that I plan to bring down when its time. I still like the idea of a road trip to VA Speed! There are a few of us that usually go down when we pick up a vette that's been "upgraded" at their shop. I'll post the date once I get it from Shawn and Ed - probably on a Friday.
Road trip!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I'm up for a road trip.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 PM

REFERING TO SIKO2SS, WHAT ISSUES DO THE LS2 HAVE WITH OIL IN THE ENGINE? HI CORNERING Gs ?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Smile

WOOOT a roadtrip......and I might stay down for some fishing. Since I got the motorcycle my poor Vette has been neglected so it is time to take her on a trip.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

SO, just wonderin, as a lowely camaro driver, but what fun is a road trip if ur all riding in trucks and trailoring the sweet rides? isnt that kinda the point of rolling deep? Anyway, just some chevy to chevy ribbing, ur car must be a bad motha on some corners! One day id love to have ed and shawn build me a motor, they did my cam and rear and im freakin stoked, badass tune, cant wait to get back from afgan so i can hit some deep 11s cam only!!! NIce car OP!!

Quick Reply: Forged LS2 403 road racing project with Virginia Speed