Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Forged LS2 403 road racing project with Virginia Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010 | 08:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm waiting on confirmation from Shawn and Ed for this Friday. They have a list of things to complete. I called the shop on Thursday and spoke to George. He said Ed would send me an email or post an update.....
  • Forged LS2 motor and tune
  • Canton Racing 3-quart Accusump system
  • RPS Street Twin Carbon clutch and flywheel kit
  • DeWitts Performance Aluminum Radiator
  • PFADT Polyurethane Motor Mounts
  • Updated F55 [suspension software] removal

Last edited by AlohaC5; 09-27-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2010 | 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
we're right on schedule for the 24th Mike
Hey Shawn, I'm flexible on the pickup date since I'm running my Mustang at my last two road course events at VIR this year. Since the other 5 tasks can't be completed without the new LS2 engine, which I *think* has moved to the right on your schedule for completion, I think you and Ed are going to need more time. Can you give me a revised estimate? Are we looking at the end of October? Thanks. Mike
Old 09-27-2010 | 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In the future do you plan on going 1-7/8 headers, FAST 102/102, and afr 230cc heads if the numbers aren't that much higher than the ls6 383 numbers? Did they let you in on the cam specs they picked yet also or are you throwing in the same 239 cam?
Old 09-27-2010 | 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camz28arro
In the future do you plan on going 1-7/8 headers, FAST 102/102, and afr 230cc heads if the numbers aren't that much higher than the ls6 383 numbers? Did they let you in on the cam specs they picked yet also or are you throwing in the same 239 cam?
I had Shawn spec the cam for this new LS2 engine since he's responsible for squeezing every bit of horsepower and torque out of this new setup for road racing. Believe me, if I had the budget $$ I would go for the larger headers, intake manifold and heads, but I don't. However, I think the numbers will be very strong with the current performance parts. I have no patience, so the wait is killing me, but I know they won't release my vette until its 100% done and done right!
Old 09-27-2010 | 08:54 PM
FormerVendor

We're at 582 hp and climbing.We will do the final engine dyno pulls tomorrow.I expect to be in the 600hp range.Not too bad for a lower compression mild cam 402.The tq curve is really nice and should drive extemely nice at the track.
Old 09-27-2010 | 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
We're at 582 hp and climbing.We will do the final engine dyno pulls tomorrow.I expect to be in the 600hp range.Not too bad for a lower compression mild cam 402.The tq curve is really nice and should drive extemely nice at the track.
Thanks Shawn! I know you're building me one very reliable beast for the road courses. I can't wait to see the power under the curve once it's optimized on your dyno. My plan is to take the new setup to the Virginia International Raceway (VIR) for two days of road course fun with Chin Motorsports during the first part of November. I'll provide a full report and some in car video at the end of the two days!
Old 10-02-2010 | 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Traveled with MikeZ06402 and WKMCD to Virginia Speed today and spoke with Shawn and Ed. Lots of progress made on my project! The new LS2 engine is in the C5, RPS clutch and flywheel installed, new bushings installed on the torque tube, oil and transmission coolers relocated, DeWitts performance radiator installed, Canton Racing 3 quart accusump system installed, PFADT polyurethane motor mounts on the way (Monday) and the tech is checking everything twice to include cleaning the wiring harness.

I believe Shawn said the final engine dyno horsepower was 597 with a nice high and flat torque curve - perfect for road racing. The plan is to get it on the dyno to begin tuning next Wednesday. We may be able to pickup the vette and convoy it back with Kevin's "Gentlemen's Cruiser" along with the rest of the Corvette gang from NOVA. Just in time for an event at VIR in a few weeks. Mike, good meeting you today. I appreciate sharing the ride with you guys to the shop! I was experiencing serious withdrawl symptoms for not having my "beast" at home and on the track.

I might have my "NASCAR" door bars removed so I can enjoy my Corvette on the street vs. making it a dedicated road course car. That new LS2 engine is too sweet to just run on the track!

Last edited by AlohaC5; 10-02-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2010 | 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Great Day Mike and Mike,

Usually my car winters down at VA Beach - VA Speed.

This time it's just a short visit to get the slave replaced.. (that just doesn't sound right)

Can't wait to go back to pick up my car and see the look on your face when you get back from your first test drive with the new build. It's going to be: : rock:
Old 10-03-2010 | 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Great Day Mike and Mike,

Usually my car winters down at VA Beach - VA Speed.

This time it's just a short visit to get the slave replaced.. (that just doesn't sound right)

Can't wait to go back to pick up my car and see the look on your face when you get back from your first test drive with the new build. It's going to be: : rock:
It's not winter yet.

As for the slave comment........
Old 10-03-2010 | 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by McLeod
It's not winter yet.

As for the slave comment........
Hey Damon,

Are you in when we go done to pickup two cars this time? Should be in two weeks.
Old 10-03-2010 | 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Sure. Let me know. I need to talk to the guys about valve springs.
Old 10-03-2010 | 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by McLeod
Sure. Let me know. I need to talk to the guys about valve springs.
You could talk with them in advance about having it done while we're there.
Old 10-03-2010 | 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweeeet.

Im sure that cage is a PITA, but id say do swingouts, cause it looks good
Old 10-03-2010 | 09:12 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice car you have.....all business! Your attention to detail is awesome. Very nice interior shots.

The engine numbers indicate you will have trouble with your retina's & eyelids...possible caving of the chest as well.

My update today stated the engine is under way & the heart will be removed this week. I did the 416 utilizing my Mamofied 205's & Fast 90/90. RPS Lite, RPM stage III diff on & on.

I'm excited to see your final rw tune numbers, especially the torque, that will be the big one.
Old 10-04-2010 | 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! I've been to a few LSx tuners before I met Ed Hutchings and I can say with 100% confidence that his dyno and street tuning is simply the best in every possible measure. I've had an opportunity to see varying degrees of tuning skills and knowledge, and with Ed you know its done right so you'll have confidence that your engine - often a huge investment - will have a safe tune that maximizes both performance and drivability. The numbers will be what they are, which I'm sure will be impressive, but its more important that I know the timing, A/F ratio, and other mappings and settings are optimized for reliable performance that allows me to run hard and never worry about it on the road course - allowing me to focus on driving hard.
Old 10-05-2010 | 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

AlohaC5, I don't want to derail your thread but do you have any more details on how your Mustang has been prepared? Even if you just steer me to another forum.
Old 10-05-2010 | 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
I might have my "NASCAR" door bars removed so I can enjoy my Corvette on the street vs. making it a dedicated road course car. That new LS2 engine is too sweet to just run on the track!
I have Saws-All I can accommodate

Looking forward to the convoy down; this time I won't have my truck to **** folks off just a red blurrrrrrrr, proceeded by a white flash (aka Gentleman Cruiser) although in all honesty I might be bringing up the rear with all the power you and Kevin are making. Just remember me when you are famous
Old 10-05-2010 | 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by anthony soprano
AlohaC5, I don't want to derail your thread but do you have any more details on how your Mustang has been prepared? Even if you just steer me to another forum.
No problem - happy to help.
  • Vogtland 1.2" Sport Springs
  • Prothane Front Control Arm Polyurethane Bushings
  • Cervini Type III Chin Spoiler Textured Black
  • Bassani Stainless Steel 2.5" Race Exhaust
  • Steeda Sport Sway Bars
  • C&L Street / Racer CAI
  • Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable Front /Rear Struts & Shocks
  • 18X9.5 GT500 Wheels
  • 275/35-18 Hoosier [Koni] Racing Slicks
  • Steeda X5 Ball Joint & Bumpsteer Kit
  • Ford Racing Gears 3.55
  • Spydershaft 4.0” Aluminum Driveshaft
  • Steeda Under drive Pulley Set
  • Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator
  • Steeda Lightweight Radiator Support
  • CHE A-arm brace w/ torque limiters
  • Moroso Steel High Capacity Oil Pan
  • BMR Lower Control Arms with poly bushings
  • Steeda Adjustable Upper Comp/Street Kit w/ HD Mount
  • Agent 47 High Flow Lower Grill
  • Agent 47 Cooling Kit
  • MGW Shifter 3650 and Roush Billet Shift **** w/ Grips
  • Carbotech Brake Pads XP12 – Front XP10 - Rear
  • Fays2 F2S Watts Link
  • Moroso Radiator Expansion tank
  • S.O.S. Triple Pillar Pod
  • 3 Auto Meter Gauges
  • Raptor Shift Light (Black with Red LED)
  • FRPP “Hot Rod” NSR Cams
  • Ford Racing Rear Differential Cover
  • American Racing 1 5/8" LT Headers with Hi-flow Catalytic Converter and X-pipe
  • Eaton 8.8" 31 Spline LSD
  • Griggs Racing Power Steering Cooler
  • Wilwood Superlite Front (SL6) and Rear (SL4) BBK with Wilwood Brake Flexline Kits
  • APR GTC-200 Adjustable Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler
  • Moroso Hardened Wheel Studs
  • Steeda Camber Shims for Negative Front Camber (-1.7)
Old 10-06-2010 | 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

OHHHH NNOOOOO not a SLOWSTANG
Old 10-06-2010 | 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
No problem - happy to help.
Thanks a lot! Do you ever have difficulty deciding which one to take to the track? That's a quality problem I'd like to have!

Quick Reply: Forged LS2 403 road racing project with Virginia Speed