Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

VVT Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spilling the beans

Okay, I was going to wait until I got my chassis dyno numbers back, but here goes.

I placed several calls to Mast and talked to them about their new LY6 ss cam. I talked to the comp cams tech department a few times about their cams. I called TSP but did not get a call back. Bottom line: Mast and Comp produce excellent hardware, but do not support tuning unless, in the case of mast, you buy their ecm. The mast ecm, however, will not run my 2009 4L80e. Mast even tells me to find a reputable tuner in my area by checking out the forums. This leaves a crucial peice of the puzzle missing when purchasing vvt hardware. Also mail order tunes leave something to be desired over a custom chassis dyno tune.

Well, I live in Smyrna, GA on the north side of Atlanta and I take Mast's advice and search. Many users on here rave about Vengeance racing. I contact them, speak with Ron, and set up an appointment. So, I go in and sit down with Ron and we review the dyno charts from Mast's new 509hp ss ly6 cam and the chart from the L92 comp cam swap vvt magazine article where they dyno over 500hp. I expressed that I liked the benifits of vvt and that I wanted to keep this feature. After some further discussion, Ron said that he could beat the curve down low, build more bottom end torque and beat the curve all the way to the top with their cam and tune. Of course, Vengeance would have to tune the car. This is the package I was looking for. By the way, Vengeance has used some autokraft pans with great results, so we ordered one of those as well.

So I ended up ditching the vvt. I really like vvt. I have it in my Tundra 5.7 with a 6 speed auto and this truck is faster than a lot of sports cars. The new 5.0L mustang has it. But here's the thing. These engines have dual overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, and can independantly alter the valve timing on the intake and exhaust. I talked with Ron about this and it seems that these engines benefit more from vvt. The gm single cam push rod vvt, apparently was designed to enhance fuel economy more than engine output and because we comprimise by not independantly changing intake and exhasut valve timing, one of the issues we come up with is piston/valve clearance. So now we have to comprimise our cam. This is why I believe that for the sake of performance, in the case of gen 4 vvt, it may be better to do without. The proof will be in the pudding. Win or loose, I'm going to post my dyno results.

Another note. Alot of people on here confuse vvt with other systems that Toyota, Honda, BMW and Porsche use. Some of their systems change the valve lift and duration in different ways. This is a whole other benefit and does not compare to vvt. This is why some of these cars can scream to 8500 rpm and be street driven and get good fuel economy.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Ron said that he could beat the curve down low, build more bottom end torque and beat the curve all the way to the top with their cam and tune.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I emailed Mast about the LY6 SS cam and this is what they sent me:

We already have this cam available. Please see the specs below. The cam
made 509 hp on an otherwise stock LY6!

P/N 914-201 VVT 337R220 346R234 337 346 114 ATDC 118
BTDC 1.7 572.9 588.2

Thank You,
Chris Durrett
If I'm reading that correctly, the specs are 220/234 @ 050 .573/.588 lift and no LSA given.

When I searched that part number on their site, I came up with this, which shows an LSA of 116:
http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...ew.php?cat=VVT Cams&id=225

This seemed pretty mild for a 509hp engine. Maybe he just sent me the wrong specs.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From just what I've read for l92 headed 6.0's that duration seems about right for what recommended but that lsa seems off. Maybe its a vvt thing?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I emailed Mast about the LY6 SS cam and this is what they sent me:

If I'm reading that correctly, the specs are 220/234 @ 050 .573/.588 lift and no LSA given.

When I searched that part number on their site, I came up with this, which shows an LSA of 116:
http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...ew.php?cat=VVT Cams&id=225

This seemed pretty mild for a 509hp engine. Maybe he just sent me the wrong specs.
I have the following specs for the Mast cams:

Stage 0 - PN 914-201
Duration @ .050 218/230
Lift 564/578
LSA 116

Stage 1 - PN 914-202
Duration @ .050 220/234
Lift 573/588
LSA 116

Stage 2 - PN 914-102
Duration @ .050 224/238
Lift 578/593
LSA 115

Stage 3 - PN 914-103
Duration @ .050 230/237
Lift 588/607
LSA 111

The specs may have changed since I got the info though. The same PN has different specs depending on what part of their web page you look at.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Im looking for a SD, the wife has an SUV so no need for two in the family. I want AWD because I cant keep anything stock and 2wd just wont suffice in the traction department. I plan on putting a small circle D tripple disc converter in it(mainly for WOT lockup ability), with a 76mm turbo and a baby turbo cam. Ive done blowers, strokers and nitrous, time to try something different

Even though I havent been able to find any info on people who have pulled the front shaft on the new tcases that are in the GMT900 denalis, the old NVG149 didnt care too much for not having the front shaft in it and puked shortly there-after if any decent amount of power was put through it. Im in the middle of trying research if the NVG149 can be retrofitted into the GMT900 as the borg warner tcase that comes standard apparently depends on the braking system to bias power and I dont like that at all. Ill modulate the power with my right foot not the left
Never had an issue with the front shaft, but I have twisted the rear shaft yoke in two... 24's might've had something to do with that. Power is 48% front and 62% rear. The distribution % is not adjustable, but that is what the traction control button is for. Wheelhop can and is an issue when launching hard off the brakes....I have been beating on my Denali for 2 years now and only had the one yoke failure in the first year. I am looking at the VVT cams from Mast, since they are down the road.

Last edited by midevil1; 12-17-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by midevil1
Never had an issue with the front shaft, but I have twisted the rear shaft yoke in two... 24's might've had something to do with that. Power is 48% front and 62% rear. The distribution % is not adjustable, but that is what the traction control button is for. Wheelhop can and is an issue when launching hard off the brakes....I have been beating on my Denali for 2 years now and only had the one yoke failure in the first year. I am looking at the VVT cams from Mast, since they are down the road.
Yeah wheelhop is not going to be a good thing. Not that Im going to put down that much power but Id like to get it up neart he 600rwhp mark with a small turbo. I cant see that being good. We'll see what happens though, right now there arent any high mileage cheaper denalis like what I want. I refuse to spend a bunch of money on a truck Im going to tear apart.

I wonder why the Mast cams are so exhaust biased compared to other VVT offerings?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah wheelhop is not going to be a good thing. Not that Im going to put down that much power but Id like to get it up neart he 600rwhp mark with a small turbo. I cant see that being good. We'll see what happens though, right now there arent any high mileage cheaper denalis like what I want. I refuse to spend a bunch of money on a truck Im going to tear apart.

I wonder why the Mast cams are so exhaust biased compared to other VVT offerings?
L92/LS3 heads require more lift and exhaust duration than the intake due to major difference in flow. At least, this is what they have told me. A small turbo for a 6.2 is going to have to be atleast 70mm. I have seen several 90,000 to 100,000 mile Denali's in Houston area for 17,000 dollars. I dont know what cheapy is in your book...
Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by midevil1
L92/LS3 heads require more lift and exhaust duration than the intake due to major difference in flow. At least, this is what they have told me. A small turbo for a 6.2 is going to have to be atleast 70mm. I have seen several 90,000 to 100,000 mile Denali's in Houston area for 17,000 dollars. I dont know what cheapy is in your book...
Yeah but those cams have 12, 14, and 14 degrees exhaust biased, thats quite a bit even for an L92 head. I could understand if you were spraying a large shot, or blown possibly having the 12* but 14 seems to me like its getting on out there. I dont claim to be a cam guru but I know a little and Ive also watched closely what Pat G specs and they arent 14* degrees biased and they still run awesome. He has even said his VVT cams are much closer splits in the 4-6* range.

Im going to run a 76mm to keep it right in the efficiency range and not have problems with IATs starting to creep up. A 70 is going to be gasping for air at 600rwhp. Ive found a few Denalis in the high teens but theyre 2wd and dont have rear dvd, nav and sunroof. Ive atleast got to have the nav(for backup camera) and rear dvd for my son. Im fine with waiting a little while longer, it will only give more time for the VVT stuff to be perfected.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah but those cams have 12, 14, and 14 degrees exhaust biased, thats quite a bit even for an L92 head. I could understand if you were spraying a large shot, or blown possibly having the 12* but 14 seems to me like its getting on out there. I dont claim to be a cam guru but I know a little and Ive also watched closely what Pat G specs and they arent 14* degrees biased and they still run awesome. He has even said his VVT cams are much closer splits in the 4-6* range.

Im going to run a 76mm to keep it right in the efficiency range and not have problems with IATs starting to creep up. A 70 is going to be gasping for air at 600rwhp. Ive found a few Denalis in the high teens but theyre 2wd and dont have rear dvd, nav and sunroof. Ive atleast got to have the nav(for backup camera) and rear dvd for my son. Im fine with waiting a little while longer, it will only give more time for the VVT stuff to be perfected.
It took me a year to find my Denali and I had to drive to Denton to get it. Every available option they offered and I got it for 45,000.00. 62,000.00 sticker but GM was in bankruptcy AGAIN in 08, so deals were in abundance. Escalade's were the only thing around Houston that had all the options I wanted and I wasn't driving a caddy... Profiling....

6.2L is a no brainer. Motor is a monster and comes alive at the littliest of mods. MPG's aren't bad either. on the 24's I get 17.2 on the hwy and on the 20's I get 20.7 on the highway. I have the LS Hot cam right now, but have been interested in putting the VVT back on and see what I could get...
Old 12-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default Vvt

This progress that TSP has made recently is what i've been waiting for. Almost time to drag my L92 out of the corner and start sending for parts. Nobody wanted to touch on the vvt topic a while ago, and how many hundreds were turfed to swap to an conventional cam out of fear of the unknown?

As a BMW tech, i've seen the benefits of vvt in an angine that makes 500+ hp, idles dead steady and almost silent (for those that are into that) and makes virtually no emissions. Most every manufacturer is using a version of this for both power and economy.

This is some awesome and very involved R+D, and using the phase tables are the only way to install a vvt cam, unlike stabbing a bigger cam in and running the phase as is.

Nice work dudes!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Comp cant offer tunes, but they definitely could offer phaser tables as can MAST, if they dont TSP will continue to captalize on that niche market. I have a feeling as this stuff gets out there more and more it wont be a niche market anymore.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM VVT is not the same as others VVT they only adjust ICL so overlap stays the same, meaning emissions probably wont change much. Intake and exhaust lobes are fixed, the cam is just advanced or retarded.
Basically at lower rpm you can advance cam for more cranking pressure and at higher rpm retard it to take advantage of intake and exhaust tuning to increase VE.
Not sure why you need phaser tables, you should only be letting someone who knows how to tune near your ECU anyway. In which case, they are nice, but will need checking and tweaking for your combo in the same way that timing tables, maf tables etc are just a baseline.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

you should only be letting someone who knows how to tune near your ECU anyway.
LOL well... that would be me possibly. I bought a full version of HPtuners last year as I have three vehicles with VVT now but I just cant seem to find the time or patience to get into tuning yet. I have a local friend whos a great tuner although thus far he has yet to tune VVT ( mostly boost, nitrous builds ) so I dont know what Im talking about yet hence the dumbass posts and questions that I keep throwing out there.

Anyways bumping for results? Anyone? Bueler...
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

I have read that the phasers are capable of advancing and retarding the cam, but the tunes seem to only show retard. And per HPTuners range, you cannot put a negative number to advance the cam timing.

Also, does anyone know the specs on the stock L92 cam? Everything: Lift, Duration, LSA, and ground in advance...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

if they dont TSP will continue to captalize on that niche market.
First they have to start capitalizing on the market.

Waiting patiently...

I asked Mast if they could provide a phaser table for their cam based on their turnkey crate engine's tune, but they declined.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

the real potential of these VVT motors has yet to be realized, I believe. Just from my mail-order tune I noticed a MASSIVE difference in the way the car behaves.

I have no dyno numbers to show it, there are no dyno shops within 60 miles of me, so whatever dyno numbers I eventually get will be with all the mods I've added (which is every bolt on imaginable).
Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

I personally wouldn't let a 60 trip to the tuner derail me from getting my car tuned. The closest tuner is about 60-63 miles. I just don't really have that much faith in him. His website doesn't show much of a difference (IMHO) in the tuned car. Maybe I am expecting too much, I don't know.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default Pulled the trigger

I went to mast and talked to the folks there and the impression that I got was that. If your not runnung their ecm, which I will not comment one where that actually comes from. They really made me feel like they didnt have time to give any support or time to what I was doing..... So I called matt at texas speed and purchased thier cam springs cam phase limiter and I am very pleased with the customer service and pricing. MAST was 250$ higher and said that they couldnt sell me the phase limiter because it was a comp product?? Like they are grinding thier own cams ??? Any way i'm not here to bash anyone just not happy about making a two hour drive to be turned away with the feeling that my checkbook doesnt work here. I will have this setup running in the next two weeks, dyno numbers will follow. By the way cam specs came with the cam, but I will not share them since the guys at mast helped me out and I will be doing more business with these people. I went with thier vvt-2 cam and I am building an ly-6. Hope to shed some light soon!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So You got a tsp vvt-2 cam for a ly6? Didnt think those were out yet.

Quick Reply: VVT Cams