Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Paging people with ERL Main Girdles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paging people with ERL Main Girdles.

Hi everyone, I just got my new ERL shortblock and it has their girdle plate installed. I know I was told that I wouldn’t be able to run a windage tray but now I don’t see how the heck I am going to bolt the oil pickup tube down. Has anyone else run into this or am I the only one. I will post up some pic’s later tonight but I am kind of lost. I am almost thinking about getting custom length outside main studs that if done right would let me bolt the pickup tube and maybe even a windage tray in place. I know I will need to check the pickup tube to pan clearance with clay but I am still deciding on which pan and thus pickup tube I will need to modify for this. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, I am going to try calling them again and see what they recommend as I don’t want to run my pickup tube lose.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you looking at it or is it assembled? I have used that combo and don't remember a problem other than modify the bracket that holds the tube.

Kurt
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

It is all assembled by them but there isn't enough stud or any extra bolt holes to attach anything to the bottom end. I wish I had my darn camera here at work I would post up the pic's for you to see.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Ok finally got time to get the pic's up. Not a single stud or bolt hole for the pickup tube and definitely not a windage tray. Any ideas on how to approach this?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Dry sump. Don't see any way a stock p/u tube will work with that kit...
Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Yah I know but they said this girdle was for a wet sump, otherwise I would have gotten the girdle for the LS7 dry sump which I am now wishing I had because they could have modified the crank for the pump too. I plan on keeping AC in the car so the ARE dry sump kit won't work for me since the pump mounts in the AC compressor location. I am half tempted to drill and tap a hole in the dam thing or pop the studs and order a set of outside studs from arp that are longer but knowing my luck I would tweak something and spin a main bearing out of it. I will try calling ERL again today and hopefully figure out something.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

That can be made to work if you modify the pick up bracket. You could make a bridge across two studs to hold the pick up tube, will need a little welding to get it right.
The windage tray is tougher, would need the girdle off for that mod....

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails Paging people with ERL Main Girdles.-dscf3446.jpg  
Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

A bridge across two studs? Is there enough threads left to bolt it to or attach anything safely?

I wonder if I could tig weld the screen windage tray into the moroso oil pan instead as long as I leave a spot for the pickup tube to pass through once I figure out how to mount it.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I have drilled and tapped the end of the ARP studs to use for attaching things in the past with good results.
The windage tray will be less effective as it moves away from the crank.

Kurt
Old 11-06-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I didn't see room in that front "slot" for a P/U tube, but Kurt's pic cleared that up...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427
I have drilled and tapped the end of the ARP studs to use for attaching things in the past with good results.
The windage tray will be less effective as it moves away from the crank.

Kurt
Dam I take it you didn't use a hand drill and standard bits to drill them. LOL ERL got a hold of me and has taken care of me; they are sending me two new ARP studs that are longer so I can make my custom bracket for my pickup tube. I will have to see what I can do on the windage tray. I would like to try and keep it close but I may have to fudge that a little by putting it in the pan. It would still be better then no windage try I think but I will work something out. I have seen some other pans that do already have one built in to it so I may see if anyone has use them and if so how they have worked.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I didn't see room in that front "slot" for a P/U tube, but Kurt's pic cleared that up...
Yup there is room on this girdle for it but it is tight. They have another version for the LS7 dry sump which I almost wish I would have used but this is going to be a %99 street car so I opted not to get it.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

I spin the stud in a lathe when drilling and tapping them. Not sure what drills as I have my machinist do it, I know it's real easy for me as I just say " ***** make these threaded on the end" and they just come back ready!!

Kurt
Originally Posted by WARPNOVA
Dam I take it you didn't use a hand drill and standard bits to drill them. LOL ERL got a hold of me and has taken care of me; they are sending me two new ARP studs that are longer so I can make my custom bracket for my pickup tube. I will have to see what I can do on the windage tray. I would like to try and keep it close but I may have to fudge that a little by putting it in the pan. It would still be better then no windage try I think but I will work something out. I have seen some other pans that do already have one built in to it so I may see if anyone has use them and if so how they have worked.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427
I spin the stud in a lathe when drilling and tapping them. Not sure what drills as I have my machinist do it, I know it's real easy for me as I just say " ***** make these threaded on the end" and they just come back ready!!

Kurt
LOL dam, tell ***** to come on down and visit, I have some work he could do for me. LOL Feel free to visit yourself Kurt I have plenty of beer and a strip club right down the street we can all go to. Just need some custom loven on this motor and car then it's party time.

Quick Reply: Paging people with ERL Main Girdles.