Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need advice on Cam-Only LS3 Vette I'm Looking at...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice on Cam-Only LS3 Vette I'm Looking at...

I am in the market for an LS3 Vette. I've found one that I like, but it is already fairly modded, and I'm a bit worried about the drivability with the cam that is in the car. I'd like to get opinions on how a car with the following cam (and supporting mods) might be as far as in-town driving manners, and also how bad of a hit fuel economy will take (yes, I know, its a performance car....got it). Here are the mods:

Cam specs are .612/.610, 244/242
Comp springs
Kooks headers and X-pipe
Callaway intake
Underdrive pulley
Ported throttle body
Ram clutch with Fidenza aluminum flywheel
Engine made ~490 RWHP and ~430 lb/ft.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very familiar with LSx cams, but this one sure seems to be rather large for something that I want to drive around town a lot. Hope I'm wrong!

Thanks!
Bob
Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as the tune is good, it shouldn't be a problem to DD. It's a bit bigger than mine, and I get 200 mile per tank. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Test drive it.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ what he said

and before that too. Its a big cam, but not too big to be 'drivable' tuned well. if you like the curve itll be a blast, 430 torque is sure to be something you can feel, even if being a large cam makes it more top-end-happy, but itll be all about how you diggit
Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

I appreciate the input so far. The main reason I'm trying to get comments/opinions is because the car is NOT local, and thus I cannot take it for a test drive.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Cosby; 11-21-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I appreciate the input so far. The main reason I'm trying to get comments/opinions is because the car is NOT local, and thus I cannot take it for a test drive.

Bob
With that being the case I would try to find out who performed all of the mods on the car and possibly contact the shop directly. If everything was installed by the present owner your just going to have to take his word on it.

If you do deceide to purchase it I would definately have it gone through by a reputable shop. They can check the caliber of the work as far as the install of the parts and the tune uploaded to the car. I would look up Virginia Speed , they are in your area and have an excellent rep here on the forum.

Buying an already modded car can be a double edged sword. On one hand you can save quite a bit of money if your were planning on moding the car, on the the other your gambling on what was really done to the car and how it was treated.

Either way good luck with your purchase.

Joe
Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Teching In

I am in the market for an LS3 Vette. I've found one that I like, but it is already fairly modded, and I'm a bit worried about the drivability with the cam that is in the car. I'd like to get opinions on how a car with the following cam (and supporting mods) might be as far as in-town driving manners, and also how bad of a hit fuel economy will take (yes, I know, its a performance car....got it). Here are the mods:

Cam specs are .612/.610, 244/242
Comp springs
Kooks headers and X-pipe
Callaway intake
Underdrive pulley
Ported throttle body
Ram clutch with Fidenza aluminum flywheel
Engine made ~490 RWHP and ~430 lb/ft.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very familiar with LSx cams, but this one sure seems to be rather large for something that I want to drive around town a lot. Hope I'm wrong!

Thanks!
Bob
I have a 242/254 .650/.650 113 +2 in my LS7 which was difficult to tune and it does buck a little down low but it pulls up to 7400 and lays down 565 on a DynoJet. It has a real nasty chop to it at idle which warns off most ricers at lights. LOL
Old 11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Run with it and you'll never look back

Vettes are the Bomb ride, And will more than satisfy you on the street, and carving through canyons

Bon
Old 11-21-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks again for the input. Forgot to add that the cam has a 112 lobe sep. Here's a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zC3nEyOslk

Pretty sure this post is about the car I'm looking at: https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-...y-results.html
Old 11-21-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can install a smaller EPS cam to your liking.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

The ptv in a ls3 with a cam on a 244 intake has to tight. Way beyond the safe zone. Unless they flycutt. I personally would check on that. Also intrestesting that they are runnning a reverse split cam in a ls3.

Edit- i see its a hpe megadeath cam. I would be concerned about ptv clearence with this one in a ls3 for sure. Wrong cam for a ls3. There are ls3's with much smaller cams making those same numbers. Also the 1 7/8 headers are not helping the torque. Whenever you cam a ls3 you should have 1 3/4 headers. When camed the ls3 likes a little back pressure.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again for the input. Forgot to add that the cam has a 112 lobe sep. Here's a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zC3nEyOslk

Pretty sure this post is about the car I'm looking at: https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-...y-results.html
HA HA HA as I sit here laughing.... bro I don't know where you live or where the car is but that is definitley not a beginner ride and def a ticket getter, just on the sound alone.... You will never be able to sneak up on anyone, sneak home late, or anywhere, everybody will know when you come and go for sure... So if you are a player, don't expect to do much creeping.....And I would not take off by any police....... Everybody will know when you have arrived or been by... If you are a stalker, your girl will know if you've been riding by......lol just kidding.....

It almost sounds like it does not even have muffs...

But at any rate good luck, I bet its a mean ride.......ha ha ha

Bozz

Last edited by bozzhawg; 11-21-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by redsap05
The ptv in a ls3 with a cam on a 244 intake has to tight. Way beyond the safe zone. Unless they flycutt. I personally would check on that. Also intrestesting that they are runnning a reverse split cam in a ls3.

Edit- i see its a hpe megadeath cam. I would be concerned about ptv clearence with this one in a ls3 for sure. Wrong cam for a ls3. There are ls3's with much smaller cams making those same numbers. Also the 1 7/8 headers are not helping the torque. Whenever you cam a ls3 you should have 1 3/4 headers. When camed the ls3 likes a little back pressure.
I agree wrong cam for an LS3, but where in the hell did you get the BS about the headers. 1 7/8 is standard issue has been proven to not lose any low end tq on the dyno. Internet myth my friend, even us heavy truck guys see better rsults with the bigger primaries.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

redsap05....many thanks for the insight!

Uh....Bozz. I appreciate your concern. However, I"m hardly a "beginner" and have no interest in "creeping", or "sneaking", or being worried about the police. But again, thanks for your concern.

"ha ha ha"

Bob
Old 11-22-2010, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I agree wrong cam for an LS3, but where in the hell did you get the BS about the headers. 1 7/8 is standard issue has been proven to not lose any low end tq on the dyno. Internet myth my friend, even us heavy truck guys see better rsults with the bigger primaries.
On a ls3 whit the stock cam the 1 7/8 headers are ok. However when you cam the ls3 the 1 3/4 will get you better torque. Many of the corvette guys can vouch for this with the ls3 on the vette forums. Heres a great thread about it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gen-5-cam...hp-451-tq.html
Old 11-22-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The specs on that ls3 cam are weird....But that ************ sounds huge and nasty(pardon the french)...But as for me i would never buy a cammed or heavily moded car unless it was built by a reputable shop or i got a damn good deal on it...just my opinion........
Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Teching In

I have a 08 ls3 vette bolt on's with the LG G6X3 cam. It's specs are pretty close to that cam. There is some low rpm bucking at low speeds but its not bad even with the RPS street twin lite clutch and flywheel. Are you the Bob Cosby that ran factory stock with the 99 cobra in nmra?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:15 AM
TECH Resident

Once again, many thanks for the continued input - I'm taking it all in!

1sickC6....yes.

Bob
Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

EPS cam
Old 11-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by redsap05
On a ls3 whit the stock cam the 1 7/8 headers are ok. However when you cam the ls3 the 1 3/4 will get you better torque. Many of the corvette guys can vouch for this with the ls3 on the vette forums. Heres a great thread about it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gen-5-cam...hp-451-tq.html
WTF does that thread prove other than the dyno he ran on wasnt using the right correction factor? Apparently you didnt read that thread too well.

A buddy of mine picked up 40rwhp by going from pacesetters to kooks 1 7/8-2 headers on a h/c ls1. Youre talking about a motor with more cubes and heads damn near what his ported cheapo heads flowed. I realize the intake to exhaust ratio is different on LS3 heads but that only goes to show it needs the exhaust to be evacuated better. Why do you think ALL of the big number LS3s are running 1 7/8 headers?

You need to get off the internet and out into the real world more often, or at the very least take a reading comprehension class.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Cam-Only LS3 Vette I'm Looking at...