Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stupid oil pickup tube and pump. Figured out why, but have new problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Stupid oil pickup tube and pump. Figured out why, but have new problem.

I installed a Melling 10296 in my LS3, which is still in the car. There is a gap now where the pickup tube goes into the pump that wasn't there before. I know this because I took a picture of the stock setup before I removed the factory oil pump. It is about the thickness of the o-ring and I felt it and noticed the o-ring bunching up and not going into the pump. I used the green O-ring because visually it seemed the same size as the factory red one.

After seeing the gap, I put the factory pump back on and it has the gap too. No amount of tightening closed the gap. I tried the factory o-ring too and had the same results.

Any advice?

UPDATE:
Well... I figured out why it wasn't going in. I cannot believe I didn't see it until now. The mouth of the pickup is out of round. I put 2+2 together when I put an oil pump tube girdle on it and it still wouldn't go together as easily as it should. I took the pump back off (broke my 10mm ratchet wrench in the process). I looked inside the pump and saw a piece of metal that was being shaved off. I glanced at the pickup tube and then noticed it was out of round. I guess I boogered it up when I removed it.

Engine builders out there... can I make it round again with a pair of channel locks or something and go from there or do I have to get a new pickup tube? I hope I can make it round, at least round enough to go in correctly. The part where the o-ring rides is still round. I am not looking forward to it if I have to take the engine out. I will probably cut the cross member out that is under the pan and install it that way. I can then either make the cross member bolt in or have it welded back in.

Last edited by blake b; 07-13-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use assembly lube on the o ring? It sounds stupid but could make all the difference.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

No, I used engine oil. I am going to get some assembly lube tomorrow and try it again. I don't think the oil is good enough at staying in place.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On rubber o-rings I always use transmission assembly lube or vasoline engine oil is too thin.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Those are great ideas. I will try them in the morning when I get up. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Still a no-go. I even bought a new o-ring at the dealer today. I tried vaseline and channel locks...not working.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you running a double roller timing chain? If so the oil pump needs to be spaced out with provided spacers.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Are you centering the pump? You have to spin the crank four times to align the pump,then line up the angle on the tube,then snug the pump bolts and check it again.

-Alex
Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

I am running a C5R chain.

I spun the engine over a few times before each attempt to tighten up the bolt. The tube is tilting towards the bolt side when tightening down.

I ordered one of the pickup tube girdles so it will evenly close the gap hopefully if I give each bolt a couple turns and go back and forth between them.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Update in original post

Quick Reply: Stupid oil pickup tube and pump. Figured out why, but have new problem.