Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. GM made the clutch to hold up to a 505HP motor. Not 700
Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok the diff and tire mod will be in my best interest... So I can atleast drag the car a few times before the clutch go.. If I got the nitrous : ( clutch wouldn't hold up and I would be spending a lot more.. And the Maggie kit would melt the clutch
Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, like I said earlier in the thread the LS7 clutch was a bad idea. The gear and sticky tire combo wont make that clutch happy either. You should plan on replacing it and set some money aside now. Next time do the clutch yourself too, It may seem overwhelming at first, but its really not that bad if you have any mechanical ability. The money saved can get you a ram rst or rxt clutch that will hold serious power.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:19 PM
8 Second Club

Wow, I just happened to find this thread.
First RPM will stand behind their work and always works hard to make the customer is happy.

So I remember this car when it came in.
The clutch line was indeed burnt in half with a repair done to get it on the trailer.
We were able to get new Tick system installed. Keep in mind we do have to drop the cradle and remove the entire torque tube and tranny/diff. Not a terribly hard job, but one that does take several hours.
A used LS7 clutch and new Hinson tranny mounts went on.
The OBX exhaust on this car did need some help to get it from leaking, something very important to the tuning process.

The passenger rear outer axle boot was leaking. We were able to get a genuine GM kit and replace just the outer boot, without touching the inner. I have seen more then a couple of these C6 Vettes coming through with leaking axle boots. Going to be quite common as mileage adds up.

Now, I was able to get a base tune loaded up, but right away it was setting Cam sensor code. Cam sensor is vital to the sequential portion of the fuel injection. Engine will start and run ok, but isn't operating fully.
After talking with the OP on the phone, I explained the issue and the timing set came up. He sent me picture, same one few pages back. I took the time to do some research, and even though the label shows LS2 on the package. You have to dig deeper. The part number crosses to an LS1 set made by JP. If you look in the pics, I cant see any cam senor pick up lobes on the timing gear. But in some tear down photos from the OP, you can see the stock timing set which clearly has the sensor pick up lobes. No lobes, no cam sensor function. I really just wanted to get the car fixed correctly, and unfortunately it looks like it would have to be torn down. It sucks, but once that's fixed you should be good to go to get it wrapped up.

I just wanted to make sure everyone is on the same page.

We never want anyone to feel like they aren't getting their moneys worth, and we truly are here to help you guys out.
I was really looking forward to getting this car on the dyno to see what it will do.
Again we are here to help!

Chris
RPM Motorsports

Last edited by veee8; 04-07-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Ouch. When you gonna change the timing sey??
Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by veee8
Wow, I just happened to find this thread.
First RPM will stand behind their work and always works hard to make the customer is happy.

So I remember this car when it came in.
The clutch line was indeed burnt in half with a repair done to get it on the trailer.
We were able to get new Tick system installed. Keep in mind we do have to drop the cradle and remove the entire torque tube and tranny/diff. Not a terribly hard job, but one that does take several hours.
A used LS7 clutch and new Hinson tranny mounts went on.
The OBX exhaust on this car did need some help to get it from leaking, something very important to the tuning process.

The passenger rear outer axle boot was leaking. We were able to get a genuine GM kit and replace just the outer boot, without touching the inner. I have seen more then a couple of these C6 Vettes coming through with leaking axle boots. Going to be quite common as mileage adds up.

Now, I was able to get a base tune loaded up, but right away it was setting Cam sensor code. Cam sensor is vital to the sequential portion of the fuel injection. Engine will start and run ok, but isn't operating fully.
After talking with the OP on the phone, I explained the issue and the timing set came up. He sent me picture, same one few pages back. I took the time to do some research, and even though the label shows LS2 on the package. You have to dig deeper. The part number crosses to an LS1 set made by JP. If you look in the pics, I cant see any cam senor pick up lobes on the timing gear. But in some tear down photos from the OP, you can see the stock timing set which clearly has the sensor pick up lobes. No lobes, no cam sensor function. I really just wanted to get the car fixed correctly, and unfortunately it looks like it would have to be torn down. It sucks, but once that's fixed you should be good to go to get it wrapped up.

I just wanted to make sure everyone is on the same page.

We never want anyone to feel like they aren't getting their moneys worth, and we truly are here to help you guys out.
I was really looking forward to getting this car on the dyno to see what it will do.
Again we are here to help!

Chris
RPM Motorsports
Damn looks like he is going to need a new timing chain set. Until then he is planning on gearing and spraying it. I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm trying to work with SLP atm so I can just buy the ls2 c6 corvette cam gear..If I don't get a hole of them tommorow then i'll just buy a different set and sell this set with 400 miles at a steal.. It does suck because this will be the 3rd time I replaced all the gaskets in the front end.. everytime I tore this car apart I replace every gasket.. either case the diff will be in next week. I'm going to replace the axle boot myself while I'm at it. I am very excited to finish this build and move on to the next level.. Here's some pictures of the axle boot and the one that was replaced..

Noticed no sign of axle grease.. That's wd-40 after I installed the shocks...

here's another shot of the upper A-arm close to the "leakin boot" noticed no sign of leaked but brake dust build up

here leaking axle boot... that went unoticed

Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where did you purchase the built rear? Who built it? Ratio?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm buying B.E.R level 1 3.90 diff..He's giving me a fair price on it so I'm not going to pass it up
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1badeagle
Yea, like I said earlier in the thread the LS7 clutch was a bad idea. The gear and sticky tire combo wont make that clutch happy either. You should plan on replacing it and set some money aside now. Next time do the clutch yourself too, It may seem overwhelming at first, but its really not that bad if you have any mechanical ability. The money saved can get you a ram rst or rxt clutch that will hold serious power.
I would of done everything myself if I had any doubt they couldn't fix that clutch line.. When I looked at aps clutch line fix method it didn't seem that bad and looked like an easy fix.. The time frame is what screwed me. After I finished the build I drove it to the gas station and on the way back the line burst.. So happens I already had the u Hual trailer at my house and my truck.. When I hauled the car to rpm there tech said they done this before and can be replaced.. When I got home my wife and I got and a heated battle so packed all her stuff and sent her back to Ohio in my truck.. 2 days later I get a call from rpm saying there going to have to replace the line.. I looked for a truck and I couldn't find no one with a decent truck down here and ready. So I just told them to replace it with ticks. Since they already had to remove the clutch and bleed it, I just told them to swap the ls2 for the ls7.. Didn't think that would tack on another 300$...that's in detail of everything that went down..
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Imstock2
I'm buying B.E.R level 1 3.90 diff..He's giving me a fair price on it so I'm not going to pass it up
Have you received yours yet? He just emailed me and said the 3.90s are on backorder and it's looking like I likely won't have them in time for the swap on April 21st.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

He's still working on everything for me.. I gave him a list of everything I want.. I don't want a separate bill.. Just 1 big fat one.. If that's the case I'll just go with rpm
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

That's the problem. The 3.90s are on backorder for everyone. He's waiting for RPM to get back to him regarding timeline. RPM diff is essentially the same as the BER. Same parts, same process etc, just less expensive. I'm hopeful that the ring and pinions show up in time for diff to arrive by the end of next week.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn... That's going to suck.... Looks like I'm going to be down longer then expected.. I guess it gives me more time to add to the car.. I still need to install my wide band anyhow.. I would really like to do meth but some new rocker arms would be nice as well.. They both seem like great options. Meth is hitting the spot more for when I eventually spray. Also found a great price on a dewitt radiator for the z06 but If I'm right the z51 uses the oil cooler lines.. From reading spins meth thread it just makes me addicted to it..

Last edited by Imstock2; 04-10-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM
8 Second Club

Sounds like you're going to have one heck of a beast. Salvaged title aside, you have one of the baddest cars out there. I was told it can really hug a guard rail nicely... Has LS1 Tech asked you to bring it the shootout this year to put it on display?

RPM is a great shop, I know Chris fairly well, I really think they'll help you out. I'd just recommend you stop racing it and trying to spray it until you actually get it tuned.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I know this... I only had 1 legit race and that's it.. I didn't power shift and shifted about 6k rpms.. I'm wasn't even going to try to push it hard with just a start up tune.. As of now the car is on jacks and waiting for some parts to come in.. I have her torn apart.. When the timing set comes in, it will be installed in the same day. Then going to have to wait on the diff..
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Get an actual tune before you race it, or even drive it actually if the sensor is bad. I wouldnt try to run meth and spray, its gonna be a cluster eff under your hood. Didnt realize car was a salvage car....
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

You also realize that you need to change the tail shaft housing on the tranny to make the 06+ diff fit correct?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Imstock2
Yea I know this... I only had 1 legit race and that's it.. I didn't power shift and shifted about 6k rpms.. I'm wasn't even going to try to push it hard with just a start up tune.. As of now the car is on jacks and waiting for some parts to come in.. I have her torn apart.. When the timing set comes in, it will be installed in the same day. Then going to have to wait on the diff..
Did you forgot the "Stands" part in there, Or are you one of those guys who just uses a couple of jacks to work under his car?

I
Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1badeagle
Get an actual tune before you race it, or even drive it actually if the sensor is bad. I wouldnt try to run meth and spray, its gonna be a cluster eff under your hood. Didnt realize car was a salvage car....
Yes I know this lol... I'm not going to run it until I get it tuned... I thought I stated that a few times... Useally someone claims my daddy bought my car then I have to tell them a little story.. This is a poor mans Vette... After the diff and tires I might pass the 20k$ total invested.. Think I would do this much work to a warrenteed car that I was still making 480$ month just car payment? I piad 6k for the car after I wrecked it.. Fix it myself for another 3k and that's including the cf hood and painted..9k$ for an 06z51 c6? Yes please. I'm in the marines bub.. I really don't make that much.. - the title there is nothing sweeter then having a paid off c6 that you could do w/e to. Limiter the car is a 06... Cookie I you haven't read some of the thread and noticed why I'm going the diff/tire mod route... It's mainly for drag/dig purpose... If I wanted to cont to roll race I would of just got meth and nitrous and soon replace the clutch

Last edited by Imstock2; 04-12-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Quick Reply: my ls3 h/c combo added twin turbo on my ls2 c6 z51 vette build list