Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

is it common for LS2's to have a slight ticking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it common for LS2's to have a slight ticking noise?

Im noticing a very slight ticking noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear mostly, the engine pulls really strong but i did get into it with one of those nissan 370z on the highway and have been hearing it ever since. any other LS2 owners have this slight tick
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like ya bent some push rods some how (possibly when you down shifted)
Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

what years the engine? does it have a stock cam? we had some 08-09 trucks in our shop lately with around 40k on them and the cams and lifters were gone on them, causing a ticking noise.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

yea the engine is bone stock. I didnt down shift, but i did rev it to 6k and stayed in the gear at 6k because there was a car in front of me. think it will be ok for the time being though?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it sound like a sowing machine? If so, then it's just your lifters, the valvetrain on these motors are notoriously loud. I wouldn't worry about it until you do a cam swap, and check lifter preload to give you the correct length pushrod so you're valvetrain won't be so noisy.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by family-man
yea the engine is bone stock. I didnt down shift, but i did rev it to 6k and stayed in the gear at 6k because there was a car in front of me. think it will be ok for the time being though?
I would say so, my Dad has an LS2 C6 that's pretty much stock and it has sounded like a sewing machine ever since it was new. What you may be hearing is just the normal valvetrain noise that the LS motors tend to make, but I would think you may have noticed it before. Is it an overbearing, constant tick? Or like the guy above me said, does it just sound like a sewing machine?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Hey guys, Im new to the GM world.. as i have switched from the Tuner scene haha.. I recently purchased a 2006 GTO with 60k miles, has mild cam, headers, hurst shifter etc. As far as i know it is un-tuned.. and i myself also have a slight ticking noise from engine. Could it be that Im un-tuned with a cam??

Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's the fact that you have a cam with higher ramp rates than stock and the fact that you have thin walled headers that allow for more valvetrain noise to be heard.

Perfectly normal, tuning has nothing to do with it. Although there are some things you can do to help with that noise.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by redtan
It's the fact that you have a cam with higher ramp rates than stock and the fact that you have thin walled headers that allow for more valvetrain noise to be heard.

Perfectly normal, tuning has nothing to do with it. Although there are some things you can do to help with that noise.
Ok that makes sense haha.
What would you suggest i try to tone down the noise?
Ive tried changing the oil to 10-30 mobil 1 with Lucas stabilizer and it did not help much. A buddy told me to remove the valve cover and check the torque on the rockers. I wouldnt be surprised if the previous owner had any head work done to it, ill find out soon though.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cyclone-Goat
Hey guys, Im new to the GM world.. as i have switched from the Tuner scene haha.. I recently purchased a 2006 GTO with 60k miles, has mild cam, headers, hurst shifter etc. As far as i know it is un-tuned.. and i myself also have a slight ticking noise from engine. Could it be that Im un-tuned with a cam??

Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearance fit with uncaged needle bearings on oem rockers are sloppy but served the purpose well!

After making trunion upgrade, first thing you will notice is the common sewing machine valve train sound is gone!

Above applies to normal functioning LS2s only!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 AM

I pulled my valve covers off yesterday, and found my heads have upgraded push-rods, titanium retainers and dual springs. But has the stock GM rockers.. i was told because it has zero back-lash and because the springs are stiffer for the cam swap that the ticking is just the rockers clicking. would you suggest i upgrade the rockers to rollers?? or would stock rockers be ok a little longer?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM

And to be honest i dont know what cam is in my gto, i bought the car as is.. and the previous owner was running nitrous at one point.

i know i really need a tune though!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cyclone-Goat
And to be honest i dont know what cam is in my gto, i bought the car as is.. and the previous owner was running nitrous at one point.

i know i really need a tune though!
Check your spark plugs. If previous owner was spraying, plugs could be shot due to not changing them regularly. Could be the culprit of you thinking it should be tuned. Pull a few out and post pics...but on a different thread lol.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the stock rockers are actually pretty nice pieces and are good for mild to wild builds so youre ok there. the only thing i would suggest if doing the trunion bearing upgrade on them, its not necessary but its cheap and good insurance. but ya man get a good tune you'll be amazed at how much more power it has and how well it drives
Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i was told because it has zero back-lash and because the springs are stiffer for the cam swap that the ticking is just the rockers clicking. would you suggest i upgrade the rockers to rollers?? or would stock rockers be ok a little longer?
That sort of valvetrain will be louder no matter what, especially through headers. Now you can do the trunion upgrade on the stock rockers that will help, but you might still hear it even after that.

Don't bother with upgrading the rockers, the stock ones are just fine.

Also, what makes you say you need a tune? How do you know the car wasn't tuned before?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 AM

I had 2 lose spark plugs causing a constant ticking sound even sounded internal,
My kooks long tubes also amplified it. Remember to torque to 11lbs/ft gm torque specification. My 2005 GTO 6.0 now sounds and performs beautifully

Quick Reply: is it common for LS2's to have a slight ticking noise?