Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help. How Do I Clearance My LS3 Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. How Do I Clearance My LS3 Valve Covers

So i put a pair of stock LS3 valve covers on my 408 that has LSA heads and stock rockers and i have rocker tap. So my question is whats the best way to clearance them. I was thinking of using a ball peen hammer to make indentations to give it its clearance but i want to know what all of u guys do. This is my first stroker build so i have never had to deal with this issue before. Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. Got some clearance with a hammer but then had the issue again after a cam change. This time I used yella terra thick valve cover gaskets. They worked perfectly and give 1/8 inch extra clearance.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

So i should be able to get the clearance i need for my stock parts with just a hammer but if i need more ill have to change to a thicker gasket?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

With stock rockers I'm surprised they hit at all. A little grinding would probably take care of it. You sure they are hitting the covers?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Its the only thing i can think of. The car ran perfectly before i swaped to the stock valve covers. My cam has a 0.650"lift if that explains it. What else could it be?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess .650 lift might do it. If there was no noise with higher covers, it has to be that. If you hadnt said it was quiet with other covers I would say possible pushrod length was off. When my rockers were hitting I could see the marks on the rocker, and the cover. Take them off and look very closely and you should see them.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sinister_Z28
Its the only thing i can think of. The car ran perfectly before i swaped to the stock valve covers. My cam has a 0.650"lift if that explains it. What else could it be?
Did you look or see any where marks under the covers?If you don't,maybe you need to ck your lifter preload.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

I havent pulled em yet but i will pull em tonight after work. The covers before were extremly tall and the engine ran perfect cause i listened very carefully for any noise and there wasnt anything out of the ordinary.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its just the thin metal shield inside they're hitting, then yes, you can just ping it with a small hammer , or use a blunt Phillips screwdriver and hit that to be more accurate.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Well the rockers arnt touching the valve covers at all. So i puled the valve covers and fired it and its ticking a little bit and squeeling. WHAT IN THE HELL COULD IT BE? The rockers look fine and are working properly so i have no clue now.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Well the rockers arnt touching the valve covers at all. So i puled the valve covers and fired it and its ticking a little bit and squeeling. WHAT IN THE HELL COULD IT BE? The rockers look fine and are working properly so i have no clue now.
Ticking maybe not enough lifter preload?Squeeling if not belts may be to tight rod bearing?Just my guess.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Ok well ill call the short block builder tommorow and see what he thinks. Just out of curiousity how do u fix a squeeling belt?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Ok well ill call the short block builder tommorow and see what he thinks. Just out of curiousity how do u fix a squeeling belt?
Squeeling belts not a big deal.Take them of and if squeeling is still there,I would drop pan and ck oil for metal.I've seen/heard when bearings are tight make a squeeling noise.Not sure if that is the case with what your hearing but just making a suggestion.Hope it's just belt squeeling your hearing.Good luck
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sandragnx
Squeeling belts not a big deal.Take them of and if squeeling is still there,I would drop pan and ck oil for metal.I've seen/heard when bearings are tight make a squeeling noise.Not sure if that is the case with what your hearing but just making a suggestion.Hope it's just belt squeeling your hearing.Good luck
Well thank god it was only a squeeling AC belt so its all good now. So i was out for a little late night disturbing the peace and after a little while ill noticed a immediate loss of power and then a check engine light. I got home and checked my codes and i had two. They were, P01317 and P0151. My code reader said "02 circuit low voltage bank one" and the other one said " 02 circuit low voltage bank 2". What does this mean. With the loss of power id asume a plug wire came lose but idk.

Quick Reply: Help. How Do I Clearance My LS3 Valve Covers