Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Questions regarding LS376/525hp

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding LS376/525hp

Hello,

As you can see new here to the forum and soon will have a LS376/525hp in my Saturn Sky Redline. I'm here simply to learn more about the LS3. I'll be honest and say that I've been doing the 4 cylinder turbo game for a while now and with this platform I would like to go with the LS conversion. Now, I've been doing some research around and couldn't find anyone that has put bolt-on's onto a LS3 525hp crate engine. I was wanting to get a FAST 102 intake manifold. Good choice? Pro's, Con's? This engine will be mated to a TR6060(six speed). Do the heads in this crate version flow well and not need to put aftermarket heads? My goal is to make about 500whp. Doable? What are the limits of this engine for making power? Please teach me, I'm all ears. Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Stock ls3 heads are pretty decent as is but there are gains in getting them ported for sure. Lots odf cnc programs out there for them. They peak out out hp wise at just over 6000 rpm with the stock cam so gains from a FAST 102 will be less than if it was setup for more rpm. The pistons are Hyper so whatever you do don't detonate. It will yard sale on ya. My .02
Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM

What about running E85? Do I need to replace seals? Viton? What are Hyper Pistons?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

FAST 102 does not work very well on rectangle port heads.

We are currently using crate LS3 with cam upgrade only.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dyno Junkie
FAST 102 does not work very well on rectangle port heads.

We are currently using crate LS3 with cam upgrade only.
So no Bolt-on should be considered?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

You may have taken my comment too literally

Our LS3 is a standard crate engine with cam, springs, pushrods and timing chain upgrades internally.
Externally it has RCR AirRam manifold, 90mm throttle body, RamJet OTRCAI and 1 7/8" extractors.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

Wow ok there is alot involved here. Im no expert and by no means know everything youll need to do for this swap. That said i can help with what i know. You are gona need a new engine harness with this swap. Second, why buy a factory crate already put together to just tear it apart again In your sky, you are gona fly with the stock hp alone. If you are speaking of the crate im thinkin about, that cam in that car has an aggressive lope. A FAST 102 isnt really going to help much w/o swapping the cam to match those LS3 heads. ALOT to be learned here. Honestly id concentrate on just doing the swap and getting everything running smooth before trying to add hp on top of what your already going to get. Once its running, its no different than any other LS3 in another platform..ie. headers, exhaust, intake, etc.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by SStheBest
Wow ok there is alot involved here. Im no expert and by no means know everything youll need to do for this swap. That said i can help with what i know. You are gona need a new engine harness with this swap. Second, why buy a factory crate already put together to just tear it apart again In your sky, you are gona fly with the stock hp alone. If you are speaking of the crate im thinkin about, that cam in that car has an aggressive lope. A FAST 102 isnt really going to help much w/o swapping the cam to match those LS3 heads. ALOT to be learned here. Honestly id concentrate on just doing the swap and getting everything running smooth before trying to add hp on top of what your already going to get. Once its running, its no different than any other LS3 in another platform..ie. headers, exhaust, intake, etc.

Thank you for your reply, you guys have no idea how much it's appreciated. For the conversion, the shop doing it has experience and from what I've learned they take the stock harness and add what they need to facilitate the V8 but also keeping the stock electronics of the car still working. I know that the Sky is going to be fast out of the box with that HP, you are right. I just wanted to see what could be done if in the future I could benefit from bolt on's. I would just like 500whp but I'm sure I will be happy with what I will have and it will be plenty of power. The conversion comes with and intake system, exhaust and tune. The ecu is tuned via LS2edit. Is that good software? I have been using HP Tuners so that is all I know. Any of you guys have experience with LS2edit? Shouldn't I get a license for it to have on hand if I need to have adjustments made to it? What about stock internals? Pistons, Rods? What are those good for power wise? Again, thank you.

Last edited by 40rty; 09-21-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bottom is good 4 what your asking... your 500rwhp also can be attained with a good Cnc head/cam/ & headers package. From the jump you will have 400rwhp.
Just let it breathe more and BOOM, 500rwhp. Also I pray you have a min. of a 285 rear tire 305 would be better just try 2 keep it in between the ditches... Don't ask me how I KNOW.
89 308ci LX fox-body. bent uni-body frame from a ditch. Not enough tire. You have a very short wheel base. Look up the article Hot Rod mag. LS7 Pontiac Solice it has some nice meat under that thing, sounds just like yours they just use a LS7 500hp crate engine.
The cars are the same.

Last edited by lil john; 09-21-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by lil john
The bottom is good 4 what your asking... your 500rwhp also can be attained with a good Cnc head/cam/ & headers package. From the jump you will have 400rwhp.
Just let it breathe more and BOOM, 500rwhp. Also I pray you have a min. of a 285 rear tire 305 would be better just try 2 keep it in between the ditches... Don't ask me how I KNOW.
89 308ci LX fox-body. bent uni-body frame from a ditch. Not enough tire. You have a very short wheel base. Look up the article Hot Rod mag. LS7 Pontiac Solice it has some nice meat under that thing, sounds just like yours they just use a LS7 500hp crate engine.
The cars are the same.
I actually went to Forgestar and had them measure for new wheels. I can do as large as 11" in the rear. The front the max is 8.5" . So I put that on order.

Any input on the cam that comes with the crate? Valve lift is .525 intake .525 exhaust. What would that be considered? Mild?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 40rty
I actually went to Forgestar and had them measure for new wheels. I can do as large as 11" in the rear. The front the max is 8.5" . So I put that on order.

Any input on the cam that comes with the crate? Valve lift is .525 intake .525 exhaust. What would that be considered? Mild?
that is a very mild cam. its lsa is agressive at 110. it will definetly have a chop
Old 09-22-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 40rty
The crate motor you are buying is a stock LS3 with the GM Hotcam. It is bigger than the stock cam, but it isn't extreme by any stretch of the imagination. However, I think you are underestimating the power of this mild crate engine, because it isn't just about the peak numbers. That motor is going to make a ton of power under the curve. I would suggest learning to drive the car as-is before trying to attain that magical number of 500 RWHP.

Without even cracking the motor open, adding headers will make a difference. Don't waste money on the Fast intake. Instead, just have the stock one ported down the line for pennies in comparison. Again, I would get used to the powerband of the 6.2 before adding more power, especially if you are used to turbo 4 cylinders.

That car's lighter weight and short wheelbase will make it a handful when the gas is on the floor. Practice your feathering techniques!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Launching!

heere is a dyno sheet of a ct525 with a carb.
Attached Thumbnails Questions regarding LS376/525hp-scan0003_962.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually people opt for the 376/525 because they are happy with that power level and want to have a warranty on the crate engine.

If you're planning on modifying the engine right away, you might as well start off with a plain old 376/430 (or whatever the cheapest LS3 crate is) and get a custom cam with valve springs,ect. You'll likely end up close to (or even over) your 500WHP goal and it will cost you about the same in the end.

Unless you're desperate for those last few HP, save your money on the intake. Invest in some good long tube headers.

A 275 or 285 rear tire will be more than enough for you as long as you don't skimp on tires. Mine will hook in 2nd gear on the street with only 225's. A decent suspension setup goes a long ways.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Teching In

I can speak from experience as I actually have the LS3 525 motor in my 71 Corvette.

The motor is pretty tame as far as cams go. Even with the 110 LSA it isn't at all what I would call aggressive, although I do have a 496 cu.in. big block Chevelle so my perception could be skewed. With a big power hungry 4L80E and the corvette independent rear, my car made 437hp. I have seen a stock crate LS3 in a 56 Chevy BelAir wagon (although with a 4L60 connect & cruise trans) make 407 on the same dyno so keep that in mind.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:59 AM

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I actually searched on YouTube and saw your video. Thank you for sharing. As for power all that I know is that the shop doing the build did a LS376 Hot cam 480hp and with exhaust, Intake and a tune it made 460whp. I'm expecting 470-490 whp(very short driveshaft).

Last edited by 40rty; 10-01-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fleming23
I can speak from experience as I actually have the LS3 525 motor in my 71 Corvette.

The motor is pretty tame as far as cams go. Even with the 110 LSA it isn't at all what I would call aggressive, although I do have a 496 cu.in. big block Chevelle so my perception could be skewed. With a big power hungry 4L80E and the corvette independent rear, my car made 437hp. I have seen a stock crate LS3 in a 56 Chevy BelAir wagon (although with a 4L60 connect & cruise trans) make 407 on the same dyno so keep that in mind.

1971 Corvette LS3 525 GMPP crate motor - YouTube
NICE Vette!
Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Stab the motor and trans in there and get it driving before you start changing things. The LS3 intake is a fantastic intake for a factory piece, so you should only need some good headers to get you started. You will probably be plenty happy with the performance as is, but when you decide to change the cam, call Martin Smallwood and have him spec you something specifically for your combination and goals.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Stab the motor and trans in there and get it driving before you start changing things. The LS3 intake is a fantastic intake for a factory piece, so you should only need some good headers to get you started. You will probably be plenty happy with the performance as is, but when you decide to change the cam, call Martin Smallwood and have him spec you something specifically for your combination and goals.

Sounds like some good advice Dave! I just purchased a GMPP 376/525 Connect & Cruise manual package for my Cobra Kit Car. I'm going to leave it as is with 125 hp fogger shot of NOS! This is for the street with a trip now and then to the 1/4!

Al
Old 03-31-2016, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

18 month-old thread...............

KW

Quick Reply: Questions regarding LS376/525hp