Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSA-block based engine build

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default LSA-block based engine build

I'm a newbie on the forum so I'm posting this as kind of an introduction. I'm building an E-Force supercharged LSA-block based motor for a '66 Chevelle. Here's a link to a blog of my progress to date. If I get any thumbs-up, I'll post updates.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by pannetron
I'm a newbie on the forum so I'm posting this as kind of an introduction. I'm building an E-Force supercharged LSA-block based motor for a '66 Chevelle. Here's a link to a blog of my progress to date. If I get any thumbs-up, I'll post updates.
Looks like a nice build.

Just a heads up though, the skirts of the pistons may need some clearancing to clear the oil squirters. I used Wiseco pistons and that's what I had to do. When I moved them away from hitting the pistons, they wouldn't clear the rods. Aluminum is like 2.8 grams per cc, so you can remove some material before affecting the balance of the crank if you do run into the same problem with your CP pistons.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KCS
Looks like a nice build.

Just a heads up though, the skirts of the pistons may need some clearancing to clear the oil squirters. I used Wiseco pistons and that's what I had to do. When I moved them away from hitting the pistons, they wouldn't clear the rods. Aluminum is like 2.8 grams per cc, so you can remove some material before affecting the balance of the crank if you do run into the same problem with your CP pistons.
Thanks for the heads-up! When I test fitted my pistons and rods the piston skirts were short enough that they cleared the squirters without issue. One reason I ended up staying with the stock 3.622" stroke was to avoid skirt and rod clearance issues with the squirters. But the pin bosses on the CP pistons are closer together than stock pistons and were*really* close laterally to the oil squirters. I was able to slightly bend the squirters to get some clearance so I avoided piston mods. I'll take and post pictures of my clearance issue once I get the pistons back from the machine shop. Finalizing the squirter clearance is my first task once the pistons return.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't touch the pistons, not wise. Modify the oil nozzle for clearance - trim it.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default Bending the oil squirters worked

Fortunately the oil squirter tubes are bendable, not brittle. I was able to bend them to clear the pin boss with very little effort. I completely agree about not wanting to touch the pistons!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Post up some pics and build thread. There is a conversions section on here for that!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:55 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by schnellttz06
You shouldn't touch the pistons, not wise. Modify the oil nozzle for clearance - trim it.
How would you trim the squirters? They weren't too long, there just wasn't room for them between the skirt at BDC and the connecting rod from the adjacent cylinder.

The LSA I had to notch the skirts in ended up making over 750whp on pump gas and has seen several TX Mile as well as SCCA autocross events over the last two years. Notching the piston hasn't seemed to have had any noticeable effect on the power or integrity of the engine.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Default Moving my build thread...

I'm posting my build progress on this thread now: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post18537457

Quick Reply: LSA-block based engine build