Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help with ls3 Jesel Sportsmans roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ls3 Jesel Sportsmans roller rockers

Guys, this is not my first time setting up rockers, but this is my first set of Jesels. Anyone else run into this problem? I'm trying to make sure I have the right pushrod length, but it appears that the intake rocker (even with no pushrod)won't move at all because rocker is resting against the head. I know these long pivot jesels have tighter clearances, but I can't even get a .001 feeler gauge on the backside. Stands machined incorrectly? Part numbers say they're for a ls3.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would notch the valve cover rail for clearance. should be ok after that
Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Launching!

It appears in some pictures that's what some guys have done. I just wish I knew prior to installing the heads. I'd like to think for the price of Jesels for a stock head setup, other than setting up geometry they would be bolt on and go. I know speedtigger had to grind his rails to fit his head.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Just finished a 408 with AFR 230s and installed Jessels - get out your die grinder.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sick_eg
It appears in some pictures that's what some guys have done. I just wish I knew prior to installing the heads. I'd like to think for the price of Jesels for a stock head setup, other than setting up geometry they would be bolt on and go. I know speedtigger had to grind his rails to fit his head.
Race engines are not "bolt-together" engines. No sense in sacrificing the integrity of the rocker arm for a little bit of valve cover rail grinding. No big deal, just pull them off and grind till you have .030"-.060".
Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
Race engines are not "bolt-together" engines. No sense in sacrificing the integrity of the rocker arm for a little bit of valve cover rail grinding. No big deal, just pull them off and grind till you have .030"-.060".
I understand that. I've just seen multiple people use the ls3 rails and have no issues. I was expecting a bolt on setup. The pain in the *** factor is multiplied x 10 having to grind the rails after I installed the heads. Partially my fault for not checking prior to install, but I got the heads prior to the rest of the parts. You would think that for the price of Jesels they would at least mention it, but there isn't even a pdf for the ls3 setup from what I searched.

So I guess this thread is just more of a heads up for people buying the Jesels. Be prepared to grind out the rail for each rocker. Not a huge issue, just takes time.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Forgot to mention I had to grind the head of all of the bolts for the rocker stand because it was digging into the rockers. The Jesels are nice no doubt. There are just a few things that should be addressed/made known.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Mark on the rocker

the stamping on the bolt needs to be grinded down

Quick fix. Doesn't take long, just be aware of this.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1sick_eg
I understand that. I've just seen multiple people use the ls3 rails and have no issues. I was expecting a bolt on setup. The pain in the *** factor is multiplied x 10 having to grind the rails after I installed the heads. Partially my fault for not checking prior to install, but I got the heads prior to the rest of the parts. You would think that for the price of Jesels they would at least mention it, but there isn't even a pdf for the ls3 setup from what I searched.

So I guess this thread is just more of a heads up for people buying the Jesels. Be prepared to grind out the rail for each rocker. Not a huge issue, just takes time.
They will get blasted tomorrow morning. With full color pictures. That's a little much👎
Old 03-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
They will get blasted tomorrow morning. With full color pictures. That's a little much👎
Thanks for all of the help Kip. True customer service checking on everything this weekend. I think if people know about having to grind the rails, I don't think it would bother people. It's just a pain doing it over the fender and under the cowl.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Launching!

I can now properly check lash

Well guys, it took some work, but I got em in there. It was worth the effort, but for those looking to run the jesels, if you have your heads off, bolt them up and torque them to spec while the heads are off. It'll save you a lot of trash bags, tape, worry, and time to do it out of the car. Overall though, I'm happy with them. Wipe pattern was dead on right out of the box.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Looks great. It's just too bad that you still had to grind the heads to fit those expensive shaftmounted rockers.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOLO
Looks great. It's just too bad that you still had to grind the heads to fit those expensive shaftmounted rockers.
Thanks, and I agree. Overall I'm happy with them. We'll see how well they perform this year. I have high expectations for them.

How's the build coming along? I've been trying to keep up with it.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Grinding of the rails for each rocker??
Old 03-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Grinding of the rails for each rocker??
Yes where the valve cover gasket would sit. I had to grind out a small section for each rocker. Not much mind you, but it had to be done.

This thread was never about bashing Jesel. I think they make a nice product. There are just a few improvements that could be made. One being an install sheet or a simple warning that you may have to notch the rail for proper rocker clearance. If I had known ahead of time, I would've waited to install the heads making it a little easier.

Quick Reply: Help with ls3 Jesel Sportsmans roller rockers