Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help, water in the oil of my new RHS 435ci build

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 03:58 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help, water in the oil of my new RHS 435ci build

Ran my brand new RHS block 435ci engine in on an engine dyno, including calibrating the Motec ECU to suit, after several hours of tuning the engine produced 685BHP at 7,000 RPM and 554 Ftlb's of torque at 6,000RPM the engine ran faultlessly.

We installed it in the chassis, see attached photo, and after some running we noticed vapour coming from the catch tank, we did 3 installation laps out on the circuit, and then checked systems, fluid levels etc, and discovered very creamy coloured engine oil in the reservoir, with typical scum under the cap etc.

The engine is normally aspirated, and we used a .040" Cometic head gasket on the 4.165" bore of the RHS block, and the new LSX cylinder heads with the extra bolts etc. We have not taken the engine out of the car yet but we do know from the data that all the pressures and temperatures of the water system were all well in spec, so there is no possibility that any combustion pressure has spiked the water pressure which rules out a blown head gasket.

Logically the only way water can get into the oil is by a gasket leak, or up through a head bolt.

Does any body have any experience with Cometic head gaskets not sealing properly on large bore RHS engine blocks?

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Ran my brand new RHS block 435ci engine in on an engine dyno, including calibrating the Motec ECU to suit, after several hours of tuning the engine produced 685BHP at 7,000 RPM and 554 Ftlb's of torque at 6,000RPM the engine ran faultlessly.

We installed it in the chassis, see attached photo, and after some running we noticed vapour coming from the catch tank, we did 3 installation laps out on the circuit, and then checked systems, fluid levels etc, and discovered very creamy coloured engine oil in the reservoir, with typical scum under the cap etc.

The engine is normally aspirated, and we used a .040" Cometic head gasket on the 4.165" bore of the RHS block, and the new LSX cylinder heads with the extra bolts etc. We have not taken the engine out of the car yet but we do know from the data that all the pressures and temperatures of the water system were all well in spec, so there is no possibility that any combustion pressure has spiked the water pressure which rules out a blown head gasket.

Logically the only way water can get into the oil is by a gasket leak, or up through a head bolt.

Does any body have any experience with Cometic head gaskets not sealing properly on large bore RHS engine blocks?

Cheers,

Mark.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

aren't the rhs blocks known for cracking, lots of issues with poor casting?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that sucks man, especially that its new. The only way a head gaskets leaks is through over heating or not installed correctly, sealer on the bolts or studs,torque sequence, etc,. As mentioned, maybe cracks in the block. Hopefully you find the culprit.GL
Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

They are know for cracking even brand new, most were boosted guys but some nitrous guys cracked them also. Think it was around head bolt holes. OP you can search RHS LS block cracking and you will find some. Hopfully not your problem.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Banned

Yeah I've seen a few post about that and never bothered reading the post. As if I were doing a larger engine I'd just resleeve my own block there is a weight penalty (chasing down or spending the 500 extra bucks just pay the extra to bore out the iron block with Steve). That's why most guys still use Steve @ RED or ERL when using aluminum blocks. May be the head gasket hopefully so.
Here some links:
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=626120
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...php?p=29977098
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=802978

The Dart block maybe a good choice as STEVE @ RED designed that block adds up to. It may be the best as he's the Resleeve King.
Nothing beats the factory 80% of the time.

Call Comp Cams or RHS and ask for a Manager and get a.... REFUND . Don't let him off the phone with out sending you a new block or your money back.Real talk brother. Cuz, I don't believe they would want to see a as Ignorant person as me @ there doorstep about my $ talkin 4800 U. S. American Dollars.

Sorry to hear that Kiwi

Last edited by lil john; 05-30-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

What cylinder heads is on the motor ?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned

LS7's
Old 05-30-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Man I tell ya..... it's a shame that a aftermarket company would release a product that cost a large amount of money and they have problems like this then they do nothing at the faculty to try to address the issue.
Really is devastating.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Man I tell ya..... it's a shame that a aftermarket company would release a product that cost a large amount of money and they have problems like this then they do nothing at the faculty to try to address the issue.
Really is devastating.
Hi Tusky and all who have read and commented on my post,

I just need to clarify one point, my RHS block is the cars original engine block, and never gave a problem with many hours of hard out racing. I had the engine rebuilt with new LSX heads and a cam from Kip, etc and had it bored to 4.165" [from 4.130" which RHS states the block can be safely bored to] and assembled by my regular engine builder.

Logically, I don t believe the bore can not be cracked because you would see a rapid increase in water pressure, and as we log evert thing in the MOTEC ECU we can see that the water pressure and temperature is absolutely stable. So until we strip the engine down, next Tuesday, we wont know the real reason water ended up in the oil, my pick is the head gasket between the bore's is not sealing effectively.

As we never had a problem on the engine dyno I am picking the gasket is probably doing the job when there is no water pressure, but when the engine is in the car obviously it is going to build pressure.

I am also thinking that we might have created our own problem, by pressure testing [30 psi] the whole cooling system when the engine was dead cold and at around 10º C [50º F]

Finally, I have heard that some Ls engine racers leave the pressure cap of the system until the engine has warmed up, and that sounds like a good start up practice because we know that alloy block's and head's expand significantly when they are at operating temperature [80ºC]

Thanks to all of you have posted helpful thoughts on this thread, its most appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any exhaust ports gray water contaminated?if so you might have pinhole in head casting and opend up after pressuring the coolant system

Cracks can form behind the sleeves and get into oil that way
Old 05-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Hi Tusky and all who have read and commented on my post,

I just need to clarify one point, my RHS block is the cars original engine block, and never gave a problem with many hours of hard out racing. I had the engine rebuilt with new LSX heads and a cam from Kip, etc and had it bored to 4.165" [from 4.130" which RHS states the block can be safely bored to] and assembled by my regular engine builder.

Logically, I don t believe the bore can not be cracked because you would see a rapid increase in water pressure, and as we log evert thing in the MOTEC ECU we can see that the water pressure and temperature is absolutely stable. So until we strip the engine down, next Tuesday, we wont know the real reason water ended up in the oil, my pick is the head gasket between the bore's is not sealing effectively.

As we never had a problem on the engine dyno I am picking the gasket is probably doing the job when there is no water pressure, but when the engine is in the car obviously it is going to build pressure.

I am also thinking that we might have created our own problem, by pressure testing [30 psi] the whole cooling system when the engine was dead cold and at around 10º C [50º F]

Finally, I have heard that some Ls engine racers leave the pressure cap of the system until the engine has warmed up, and that sounds like a good start up practice because we know that alloy block's and head's expand significantly when they are at operating temperature [80ºC]

Thanks to all of you have posted helpful thoughts on this thread, its most appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.
I thought this picture of the my Mosler MT900R- GT3 car that the engine is fitted to might be of interest to some.

For those of you that have followed my "big bore short stroke 400Ci thread on this forum, this is also the car that that engine will be fitted to once we have further developed the car.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything could of of happened to block when it was out eg dropped, head bolt pulled a thread and cracked etc etc. Very hard to rule out crack with a block that others have had issues with. Find it difficult to think had gasket on 6 bolt would blow through on n/a motor. I hope for your sake it is though
Old 05-30-2015, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

I thought this picture of the my Mosler MT900R- GT3 car that the engine is fitted to might be of interest to some.

For those of you that have followed my "big bore short stroke 400Ci thread on this forum, this is also the car that that engine will be fitted to once we have further developed the car.

Sorry about your troubles with this engine. Been following your other build and excited to see the results. Can't even imagine what it's like in that car!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Help, water in the oil of my new RHS 435ci build......and discovered very creamy coloured engine oil in the reservoir.....
Damn.....hope it's a blown head gasket and not a cracked block ...

KW
Old 05-31-2015, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell you where to go look first....

Sorry to hear Mark do not ran your engine again.

Take heads off and look for piston hitting the heads there's 95% chance your head gasket let go as the result.

On large bore as yours .053 compressed head gasket thickness is minimum.

Last edited by CAMSTER; 05-31-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 131 Posts

Camster
Could you elaborate on your recommendation for not going below
.053 head gasket thickness for large bore. I was planning .040
Gasket with my 4.175 Bore 11.75:1 Comp Build. Also did you
Mean piston hitting the head vs heating the head?

Kiwi
Regarding pressure testing with 30 Psi and 50F temp
Would this perhaps be another benefit to circulating and
Preheating Coolant (as well as oil) on these very High
Investment Engines?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am curious about the same thing, that 0.053" recommended thickness... Not that I know a ton about LS engines, but I haven't seen that before. I can guess that the thinking is that you need the thickness to make up for the thin distance between the bores, but I'd like to learn more.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Camster
Could you elaborate on your recommendation for not going below
.053 head gasket thickness for large bore. I was planning .040
Gasket with my 4.175 Bore 11.75:1 Comp Build. Also did you
Mean piston hitting the head vs heating the head?

Kiwi
Regarding pressure testing with 30 Psi and 50F temp
Would this perhaps be another benefit to circulating and
Preheating Coolant (as well as oil) on these very High
Investment Engines?
Hi NB,

We have an oil heating blanket on the dry sump tank, and I recently ordered a New Zealand made water heating circulator, as I believe that bringing the block up to temperature before you start a race engine is a good thing, so yes I agree with you, all good practice's, and in particular leaving the pressure cap backed off while circulating the water, also seems like a logical thing to do.

Steve@RED, told me the that the LS blocks grow as much as .012" which equals a lot more squash on the gasket, so using that sort of growth before you start the engine has to be a good thing.

Camster, I would and will be extremely surprised if the pistons are hitting the head surface, we run .036" squish, with a flat top piston, but thanks for your suggestion we will definitely check this if we do decide to pull the head's off, but first we will run some Moroso Ceramic engine sealer through the engine, as per Steve@RED suggestion.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Well only where for water to get in is from the heads and or block issues. Can't pressure test the cooling system and inspect?

Quick Reply: Help, water in the oil of my new RHS 435ci build