Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Milling L92 heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milling L92 heads

Would you guys recommend milling heads on full bolt-on, stock cam 6.2 L92. Thinking the bump in compression would deliver some good useable power with the vvt and 2800 converter. Looking for some input. Thanks
Old 08-13-2015, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SSP_6.2
Would you guys recommend milling heads on full bolt-on, stock cam 6.2 L92. Thinking the bump in compression would deliver some good useable power with the vvt and 2800 converter. Looking for some input. Thanks
If it's power I'm going after, I'd go with more cam before I'd go with more compression.

IJS.

KW
Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll take more compression before going more cam any day of the week, so yes what you plan on doing should help. Although don't expect a huge difference at least not in peak power.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redtan
I'll take more compression before going more cam any day of the week, so yes what you plan on doing should help. Although don't expect a huge difference at least not in peak power.
With the stock cam....there's not much that more compression is gonna give ya.

We're already at the upper reaches of what's considered optimal DCR. One of the main reasons why these engines (the LS3's) respond so well to cam swaps, is because a 'bigger' cam drops the DCR into a better/more optimal range. If you mill the heads to raise the SCR, you also pull the DCR further away from the engine's optimal point.

IJS

KW
Old 08-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your responses. I'll leave the heads alone on it. I'll probably never cam it, honestly it's wife's daily. Most parts were from my truck i sold on it.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

We're already at the upper reaches of what's considered optimal DCR. One of the main reasons why these engines (the LS3's) respond so well to cam swaps, is because a 'bigger' cam drops the DCR into a better/more optimal range. If you mill the heads to raise the SCR, you also pull the DCR further away from the engine's optimal point.
There's nothing "optimal" or "maxed out" about 10.5 DCR. I've never heard of more compression hurting power, torque and efficiency especially when talking these kinds of levels.

You have it a bit backwards, big cams usually require more compression because they lower SCR too much with long intake duration. Big cams with 10.5 DCR are going to be lazy as **** that's why you see people recommending to increase compression to benefit power and efficiency everywhere ESPECIALLY when going with a big cam.

In the grand scheme of things, leaving it alone is probably for the better as without doing anything else it's not going to gain you that much. Again, compression helps with big lazy cams. If you're not going to do that then don't bother taking the heads off just to mill them for a bit more compression.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Im going have engine pulled tomorrow due to oil pump failure and get crank turned. Just thought it'd be cheap hp while in there
Old 08-14-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

If you're taking it apart then you're going to have to mill the heads anyway a bit to get a flat surface for re-assembly. I would then mill it to get 11:0 compression and be done. Just fine for either 91 or 93 octane.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

There's nothing "optimal" or "maxed out" about 10.5 DCR. I've never heard of more compression hurting power, torque and efficiency especially when talking these kinds of levels.........
I didn't state that more compression would necessarily hurt performance, but with a stock cam it won't really help.

....You have it a bit backwards, big cams usually require more compression because they lower SCR too much with long intake duration. Big cams with 10.5 DCR are going to be lazy as **** that's why you see people recommending to increase compression to benefit power and efficiency everywhere ESPECIALLY when going with a big cam.......
You seem to be confused regarding static and dynamic.

And I recommended MORE cam, not a "BIG" cam.

A cam in the area of 218* to 224* will make for a FAR better performer than a stock cam with 11:1 SDC.

....Again, compression helps with big lazy cams.....
But again, not necessarily so with 'small' stock(ish) cams.

KW

Quick Reply: Milling L92 heads