Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam selection help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam selection help

im having a hard time deciding what cam to run in my 07 Z. im hoping some of you will have some input. the car is a 2007 with 16k miles. so far, its got kooks long tubes, kooks off road x pipe and borla atak exhaust.
i am leaning towards a black widow r cam from carlos at vette air, but wanted second opinions.
when the cam goes in ill also be installing the following parts: (stock bottom)
prc 285cc heads milled to 68cc (.675 springs) Ti intake valves / stock exh valve)
fast 102 lsxr intake ported by peak speedshop
nick williams throttle body
callaway honker cai
morel 5290 link bar lifters
ati 10% super damper
katech c5r chain
catch can
arp hardware

my goal is to break 600 rwhp, but i dont want to sacrifice all the low end tq. the car might see 5,000 miles a year with an occasional road trip.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BTR Stage 4 is what you want.. it always makes over 600whp with heads and a decent valvetrain.

The fastest Z's run this cam, like Jared who ran 9's n/a and 8.82 with nitrous.. Also, a guy in Canada (LS7bud) ran 9.81 with this cam and made 624whp, 555rwtq.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Teching In

thanks man. i appreciate the input. I had looked at that cam but so many people have told me to staw away from a comp cam. a lot of people say that comp cams grinds can be off a good bit. any knowledge of this?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 581 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by tn231698
thanks man. i appreciate the input. I had looked at that cam but so many people have told me to staw away from a comp cam. a lot of people say that comp cams grinds can be off a good bit. any knowledge of this?
it's best to call Brian Tooley directly. No guess work involve.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give us a call, we can definitely get you fixed up with a cam. We have done 100's of cams for the Z and will help you out. Also, we can use a Callies core for the camshaft so you never have to worry about the quality

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I bet those guys at texas speed could really spec you a good cam, given that you are installing a set of their heads. You could have tsp grind you a clone of the btr stage 4, on their new lobes and on a callies core.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian may have a cam doctor to spin the cam and check the specs so dont worry about it being off the given specs.

By the way, you can even ask Brian to get you the stage 4 on a cam motion 8620 core.. but it will cost a little bit more do the quality difference.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Teching In

thanks all. texas speed ill give you a call monday. couple other questions...is it worth it to install a katech oil pump since im going to be there already? ive got 50/50 responses from everyone else. also, is there anything else i should add that im forgetting? injectors, electric water pump, etc? the car does already have a 160 thermostat, ngk tr6 plugs, granatelli wires, and katech tensioner. its going to Vengeance wednesday to get tuned so i can have a baseline before the h/c/i install. ohh, one more...ive been told arp head bolts will be fine for my setup. do you all agree or should i go ahead and stud it? obviously there will be no boost until i have a new shortblock.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if you have called in yet, but as soon as you do one of the guys will answer all those questions for you!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Cam selection help