Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

how much more can i open these babies up

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much more can i open these babies up

i pulled my motor yesterday out and idk whether to start a new build with different heads and intake or keep what i have and just refreshen the motor.. anyways im talkin about these heads i currently have .. they are the prc l92/ls3 heads milled to 64cc...So i was wondering how much more can i open them up if i get like vengeance racing or mamo or frankenstein to work on them...
Old 02-13-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

More info would be nice. What are your goals? Car? 6.oL or 6.2L? Either way, I'd stroke it. 4.o stroke max.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
More info would be nice. What are your goals? Car? 6.oL or 6.2L? Either way, I'd stroke it. 4.o stroke max.
Im talkin about my heads... my motor is a 408 ci. Iron block... but im sayin to open up the heads a bit more for flow n stuff..
Old 02-14-2016, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the cc on those do you know? I've seen rectangular port heads go up to 280ish ccs on the intake side but those are for max effort combos.

You can definitely have them worked by one of those guys without actually increasing the runners too much. Good porters know the areas to attack and make it more efficient rather than just hogging out the ports.

What kinda power are you trying to make that ported LS3s are not enough for you?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtan
What's the cc on those do you know? I've seen rectangular port heads go up to 280ish ccs on the intake side but those are for max effort combos.

You can definitely have them worked by one of those guys without actually increasing the runners too much. Good porters know the areas to attack and make it more efficient rather than just hogging out the ports.

What kinda power are you trying to make that ported LS3s are not enough for you?
Theae are stock casted and ported by texas speed... i just wanna see if i can have these opened up more before i make a decision to buy after market casting.. if not ill just upgrade.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

These are the ones i have https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1179-p...ted-heads.aspx
Old 02-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xdanny510x
How much power are you looking for? I do motors that make over 625 at the flywheel with stock LS3 heads and CA smog legal cam, you'll likely be just fine for whatever your power needs are with just a fresh valve job and new springs on those heads, maybe a little bit of hand blending.

The Frankenstein heads are awesome though, easily the nicest ones I saw at PRI - I'd love to do a motor with those.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by machinistone
How much power are you looking for? I do motors that make over 625 at the flywheel with stock LS3 heads and CA smog legal cam, you'll likely be just fine for whatever your power needs are with just a fresh valve job and new springs on those heads, maybe a little bit of hand blending.

The Frankenstein heads are awesome though, easily the nicest ones I saw at PRI - I'd love to do a motor with those.
im doin a new build since my 408 got toasted..gotta take to machine shop to see if my block is still salvageable.If it is im going to try this build one more time and do it right.. Im thinkin about 750rwhp to 1000 with either a turbo or supercharger instead of my previous set up which was a hi compression 408.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Banned

im doin a new build since my 408 got toasted..gotta take to machine shop to see if my block is still salvageable.If it is im going to try this build one more time and do it right.. Im thinkin about 750rwhp to 1000 with either a turbo or supercharger instead of my previous set up which was a hi compression 408.
That's a fun build - if you've got the cash, I'd do a Darton Sleeved block to 4.125" along with the Molnar Tech Turbo rods and crank along with some coated or diamondyze ceramic coated pistons with the upgraded turbo pins. Aftermarket heads would be a very good thing to keep the gasket happy with the extra deck thickness.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a fun build - if you've got the cash, I'd do a Darton Sleeved block to 4.125" along with the Molnar Tech Turbo rods and crank along with some coated or diamondyze ceramic coated pistons with the upgraded turbo pins. Aftermarket heads would be a very good thing to keep the gasket happy with the extra deck thickness.
how do the molnar stuff compare to like the callies compstar stuff... or k1
Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Banned

how do the molnar stuff compare to like the callies compstar stuff... or k1
Tom Molnar owned K1 and sold it to Wiseco, the Molnar Tech parts I have used so far have been nicer than the older K1 stuff.

I really like Callies Compstar, I think I'd say they're about equal, but I'm WD with Molnar so I get much better prices than with Callies. We use Callies when going for a domestic Magnum type crank.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtan

im not sayin that there not enough for me.. im just sayin if i step up my game on my motor and before purchasing some aftermarket casting.. i was wondering if i send these out even these where ported by texas speed as there first batch of prc l92 when these heads came out..im just wondering how much more can i get out of them before i start running into issues opposed to the aftermarket prc stuff like there 260cc heads etc...
Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tom Molnar owned K1 and sold it to Wiseco, the Molnar Tech parts I have used so far have been nicer than the older K1 stuff.

I really like Callies Compstar, I think I'd say they're about equal, but I'm WD with Molnar so I get much better prices than with Callies. We use Callies when going for a domestic Magnum type crank.
would u happen to know if the molnar stuff is overseas forging or are they built here in the usa.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Send the heads to Frankenstein!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:36 PM
Banned

would u happen to know if the molnar stuff is overseas forging or are they built here in the usa.
Both Callies Compstar and Molnar, along with K1, Scat, Eagle, etc all use overseas forgings with different specifications and tolerances. The metallurgy of the Molnar parts is definitely superior to Scat and Eagle.

The Molnar parts have better finishing processes here in the US and don't drastically change dimensions when torque is broken and then reapplied like with Scat and Eagle. And eagles metallurgy and finishing is easily the worst.

Quick Reply: how much more can i open these babies up