Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Did I hurt my motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I hurt my motor?

Finally got around to doing my cam swap with all the extra essentials. Started it up and no oil pressure. Odd, so I cranked it some more and gave it another go. Ran about 15 seconds each time with no oil pressure. Found my issue after pulling the timing cover off and dropping the oil pan. Pick up tube o-ring was torn. So the question is, did I hurt my motor at all with those 2 startups? When I assembled everything I put oil on it and soaked the lifters and dumped a quart of oil on the valve train before start up. Car will have sat a week this weekend when I can start it up again. Should I just fill it back up with oil, dump some on the valvetrain and go for it?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

If you didn't rev it up or put load against it - unlikely you hurt anything.

The concern would be the main bearings and rod bearings.

Fill it with oil, run it until it is hot (if you have oil pressure lol). Drain the oil and cut your filter open to check for bearing material.

Clean oil and you're good to go.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Thats the plan as of right now, gonna crank the engine a bunch before starting it up, would i see any pressure if i hooked up a mechanical gauge and just cranked it?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Honestly was watching that as you posted, thanks
Old 03-30-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanDjurka
Thats the plan as of right now, gonna crank the engine a bunch before starting it up, would i see any pressure if i hooked up a mechanical gauge and just cranked it?
Cranking it should get a prime. I crank over my ls3 before I fire it. It can take a solid 30 seconds of cranking.

Fingers crossed for ya
Old 03-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks bud, ill be praying at startup
Old 03-30-2017, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just a cam swap correct? Heads and cam? You should be alright, as long as you initially put cam lube before installing cam.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Just a cam from tsp, and all the supporting mods, new lifters as well, cam was lubed up before install, lifters soaked in oil
Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Teching In

started it up yesterday after a few prayers, instant 50 psi oil pressure, engine sounds good, no sewing machine sound either! Question is, a few heats cycles for the springs and new lifters and then off to the dyno. Should i change my oil after the dyno? After a few hundred miles maybe and cut open the oil filter to look for metal shavings? Also is some ok since there are new parts installed or should I see none. I would think small particles are normal, if i see big shavings a bearing is most likely toasted.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanDjurka
started it up yesterday after a few prayers, instant 50 psi oil pressure, engine sounds good, no sewing machine sound either! Question is, a few heats cycles for the springs and new lifters and then off to the dyno. Should i change my oil after the dyno? After a few hundred miles maybe and cut open the oil filter to look for metal shavings? Also is some ok since there are new parts installed or should I see none. I would think small particles are normal, if i see big shavings a bearing is most likely toasted.
Sounds good. As long as the valves are set correctly and you're not hearing any weird noises, you should be good to go. Don't sweat it with heat cycling, and cutting oil filters(unless its a brand new motor). Although, it would be good idea to change oil/filter after dyno tuning. Put some fresh spark plugs before dyno tuning as well.GL

Quick Reply: Did I hurt my motor?