Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS1 383 Stroker or LS3 Swap

 
Old 07-11-2019, 06:10 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 383 Stroker or LS3 Swap

I have a 99 Corvette with the, as far as I know, stock LS1 bottom half. It has LS2 heads that have been ported, hardened pushrods with thick wall, triple springs, stainless retainers, and upgraded full trunion rockers, but the cam and cam bearings are shot and need to be replaced.

My goal was to create a 500HP car, and have money left over to do some other upgrades to make it a nice every now and then driver. I planned to keep it NA for now, maybe way down the road do some kind of FI, but for now, NA. I have a budget of about $10,000, really don't want to go over that.

Should I stroke the LS1 which will take about three months or go with a LS3 swap which may take a week?

I would love to see your suggestions, because I am racking my brain and can't make a decision.

Also, does anyone know how to get in touch with Ronnie Pace III, because this use to be his car (not the wrecked one, clearly) and he could tell me what has been done to the bottom half.
Bear Merritt is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:14 PM
  #2  
TECH Junkie
 
Tuskyz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,585
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

A LS3 with a cam and headers make over 550 horse at the crank. Simple and easy....
Tuskyz28 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:24 PM
  #3  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
Darth_V8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: My own internal universe
Posts: 7,348
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Ls3 is easier to hit 500 rwhp than a 383
Darth_V8r is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:42 PM
  #4  
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coast of San Mateo County Between Pacifica & HMB
Posts: 1,549
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Me Three... LS3
NAVYBLUE210 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM
  #5  
Teching In
 
psicko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 16
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

I vote LS3
psicko is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:46 AM
  #6  
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 10,872
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Looking unanimous thus far....
G Atsma is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM
  #7  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: S.A., TX
Posts: 1,849
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bear Merritt View Post
I have a 99 Corvette with the, as far as I know, stock LS1 bottom half. It has LS2 heads that have been ported, hardened pushrods with thick wall, triple springs, stainless retainers, and upgraded full trunion rockers, but the cam and cam bearings are shot and need to be replaced.

My goal was to create a 500HP car, and have money left over to do some other upgrades to make it a nice every now and then driver...….

Are we talking 500hp to the wheels or at the crank? If you're only looking to get 500hp at the crank (about 420 or so to the wheels), I say go the least expensive route.

My daily driven LS3 with heads and relatively mild cam puts out 493hp to the wheels....as a frame of reference.

KW
KW Baraka is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM
  #8  
10 Second Club
 
lazerlemonta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 454
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

LS3 best bang for the buck replacement motor out there right now.
lazerlemonta is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:31 AM
  #9  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just dead curious, why is the LS3 (less displacement) more potent than a 383? Not arguing or disagreeing just trying to understand.
Need4Camaro is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:35 AM
  #10  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Jtm2085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,115
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just dead curious, why is the LS3 (less displacement) more potent than a 383? Not arguing or disagreeing just trying to understand.
Because the ls3 get its cubes from the larger bore. Vs the 383 getting its CI from a longer stroke. The ls3 also has a lot better options when it comes to heads and intakes due to the larger bore
Jtm2085 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
War Prayer (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:16 AM
  #11  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
99 Black Bird T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,388
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

LS3 with 376 cubes and 4.065 bore will make more hp even with the same heads, cam and intake vs the 383 LS1. The LS3 with the stock stroke 3.62 vs 4 inch stroke 383 LS1 is capable of last 300,000 + miles in normal use, a 4 inch stroke motor would with stock LS1 sleeves probably take a several ring and piston refreshes to reach 300,000 miles.

The Lingenfelter 58x 24x conversion box works well if you don't want to change the LS3 reluctor wheel on the crank for your 99 vette.
99 Black Bird T/A is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:05 AM
  #12  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
BCNUL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oskaloosa, Iowa
Posts: 633
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A View Post
LS3 with 376 cubes and 4.065 bore will make more hp even with the same heads, cam and intake vs the 383 LS1. The LS3 with the stock stroke 3.62 vs 4 inch stroke 383 LS1 is capable of last 300,000 + miles in normal use, a 4 inch stroke motor would with stock LS1 sleeves probably take a several ring and piston refreshes to reach 300,000 miles.

The Lingenfelter 58x 24x conversion box works well if you don't want to change the LS3 reluctor wheel on the crank for your 99 vette.
I've been debating the 383 vs 376 myself. Looking at cost of short blocks on TSP the 383 with their cheapest 4 bolt as cast heads are about the same cost as a fully forged LS3. If it's 383 with as cast heads vs 376 with stock 241's, LS6 intake, and stock throttle body do you still lean toward the 376? With the 376 it would be easy down the road to switch to a better top end heads/intake so that is a consideration as well. This would be in a procharged application so I'm thinking the 241 heads may not hurt me as bad or limit my rpm as much as it would a NA setup.
BCNUL8R is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 10:40 AM
  #13  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
Darth_V8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: My own internal universe
Posts: 7,348
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
LS3 with 376 cubes and 4.065 bore will make more hp even with the same heads, cam and intake vs the 383 LS1. The LS3 with the stock stroke 3.62 vs 4 inch stroke 383 LS1 is capable of last 300,000 + miles in normal use, a 4 inch stroke motor would with stock LS1 sleeves probably take a several ring and piston refreshes to reach 300,000 miles.

The Lingenfelter 58x 24x conversion box works well if you don't want to change the LS3 reluctor wheel on the crank for your 99 vette.
Yup. Because rpm is hp. Ls3 will rev easier vs a 383
Darth_V8r is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 11:39 AM
  #14  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 683
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

99 said it, bigger Bore size = more fuel in a bigger hole which will make more hp.
Smokey B is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 AM
  #15  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
99 Black Bird T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,388
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

I wouldn't suggest using a 241 head on any motor build given a set of 243/799's can bought for $350 to $400. However, to answer the question the LS3 with 4.065 bore would have advantage over the LS1 with a 3.9 bore using even a stock 241 head.

I'd definitely encourage a set of stock LS3 heads on the LS3 over a set of 241's.
99 Black Bird T/A is offline  
The following users liked this post:
BCNUL8R (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:11 PM
  #16  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 683
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

^^^^^
Smokey B is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 AM
  #17  
TECH Senior Member
 
garygnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,450
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

if you have a good engine machine shop close by ,I would recommend the 383 ls stroker.you already have the block ,if it checks out to be usable .have the heads looked at ,to make sure they are what you need .check out the price of good ls383 rotating assemblies .Tony Mamo built a killer ls383 many years ago .
garygnu is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:44 AM
  #18  
TECH Junkie
 
Tuskyz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,585
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
if you have a good engine machine shop close by ,I would recommend the 383 ls stroker.you already have the block ,if it checks out to be usable .have the heads looked at ,to make sure they are what you need .check out the price of good ls383 rotating assemblies .Tony Mamo built a killer ls383 many years ago .
This is true but to get good power from a 383 is go go require some good money spent on the cylinder heads. Tony heads are nice but they also are north of 3000 after he touches them up amd a Fast 102mm isnt as cheap as well.

Get a LS3 and run the factory LS3 heads and intake but add a cam from a reputable company/person... DONE
Tuskyz28 is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 AM
  #19  
TECH Fanatic
 
MuhThugga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington, De
Posts: 1,307
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Buy the LS3 and sell the LS1. A friend of mine is doing a 440 in his 4th Gen and sold his LS1 for $2500.

You're at a much larger advantage with the LS3's bigger bore, and should you get bored with the power, you can always add a 4" stroke for more cubic inches later on.
MuhThugga is offline  
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
  #20  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
64post's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sonoma Co. Ca.
Posts: 1,030
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
Buy the LS3 and sell the LS1. A friend of mine is doing a 440 in his 4th Gen and sold his LS1 for $2500.

You're at a much larger advantage with the LS3's bigger bore, and should you get bored with the power, you can always add a 4" stroke for more cubic inches later on.
Hes a lucky Guy if got that much for an LS1. LS1s are almost metal scrap status these days. Everyone seems to want the gun drilled cranks from LS1s but little else.
64post is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: