Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
Oh wow.
Lucky you caught it in time.
Why would something like that happen?
Is it something you could check before going for a drive.
I hear ya with the fire extinguisher.
My VZ actually came with one mounted in the boot.
It's still good to go.
You dont see everything when inspecting and also valve cover gasket will leak more when at throttle.
But make sure your builder looks over your car real good. Get extinguishers like Micky said
Old 08-19-2020, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mickyinks
bit of drama today. Driving along , look in rear view mirror and see a little smoke. Pull over and as I get out I see flames between hood and windscreen.
adrenalin kicks in big time. Grabbed the front passenger seat fire extinghuiser, I also have 2 in the boot, opened bonnet and it was lit up real good between rear of engine and fire wall. Put it out, luckily not far from home and could roll there.
melted a bit of the engine harness. Started to problem solve and found the valve cover gasket had leaked at very back of the head, oil then went down back of engine onto hot extractors .

Replaced gasket, harness wiring looked intact but no start. Found crank position sensor a little melted so replaced n still no start. Not getting fuel so I'll replace crank sensor and I'm 99% sure thtll fix it
what I will say is if you have a modified car and don't carry a fire extinghuiser, seriously consider getting one.
If I hadn't had mine the car would hv burnt to the ground.
Other than that I'm up to about 70% throttle with street tuning and engines feeling strong
glad to see you was able to save her Mickey.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
You dont see everything when inspecting and also valve cover gasket will leak more when at throttle.
But make sure your builder looks over your car real good. Get extinguishers like Micky said
Yes.
I don't need to worry.
My builder has built hundreds of these engines in the same chassis as mine so he knows what he is doing.
When he did my old 408 there were never any leaks in 3 years of daily driving.
I already have an extinguisher in the car.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bortous
Yes.
I don't need to worry.
My builder has built hundreds of these engines in the same chassis as mine so he knows what he is doing.
When he did my old 408 there were never any leaks in 3 years of daily driving.
I already have an extinguisher in the car.
I believe Mickey knows what he is doing too. Probably would have even got your 408 sorted for you too
Old 08-19-2020, 07:40 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickyinks
bit of drama today. Driving along , look in rear view mirror and see a little smoke. Pull over and as I get out I see flames between hood and windscreen.
adrenalin kicks in big time. Grabbed the front passenger seat fire extinghuiser, I also have 2 in the boot, opened bonnet and it was lit up real good between rear of engine and fire wall. Put it out, luckily not far from home and could roll there.
melted a bit of the engine harness. Started to problem solve and found the valve cover gasket had leaked at very back of the head, oil then went down back of engine onto hot extractors .

Replaced gasket, harness wiring looked intact but no start. Found crank position sensor a little melted so replaced n still no start. Not getting fuel so I'll replace crank sensor and I'm 99% sure thtll fix it
what I will say is if you have a modified car and don't carry a fire extinghuiser, seriously consider getting one.
If I hadn't had mine the car would hv burnt to the ground.
Other than that I'm up to about 70% throttle with street tuning and engines feeling strong
Holy ****, man! ld you're ok and glad the car is OK.

May need to check the intake for meltage if it's composite (I don't remember anymore).

Something else I'll throw at you -- consider adding a vacuum pump. It really helps with miscellaneous oil leaks by drawing air into the case vs pushing air out - especially under load.
The following 2 users liked this post by Darth_V8r:
AINT SKEERED (08-19-2020), G Atsma (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Man Micky. I'm glad you and the car are ok. I had an engine fire in the garage after hours and hours of it running fine and it was terrible. I was just checking things over before loading up for the dyno. Everybody was fine but the fire tore the car engine bay and some other parts up pretty good. The Fire chief was absolutely amazed I didn't burn the house down. Doesn't matter how good the builder is at all. People have engine fires. Stuff happens. My builder is a bad *** too. Builds a couple of the fastest grudge cars' engines in the country. Just lucky Micky was prepared. I actually put a kill switch under the hood now because of it and strapped a fire extinguisher in the car and bought 4 20lb extinguishers for the garage.
The following users liked this post:
AINT SKEERED (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Man Micky. I'm glad you and the car are ok. I had an engine fire in the garage after hours and hours of it running fine and it was terrible. I was just checking things over before loading up for the dyno. Everybody was fine but the fire tore the car engine bay and some other parts up pretty good. The Fire chief was absolutely amazed I didn't burn the house down. Doesn't matter how good the builder is at all. People have engine fires. Stuff happens. My builder is a bad *** too. Builds a couple of the fastest grudge cars' engines in the country. Just lucky Micky was prepared. I actually put a kill switch under the hood now because of it and strapped a fire extinguisher in the car and bought 4 20lb extinguishers for the garage.
I have 5 on my shop as well. Always in reach
Old 08-19-2020, 08:46 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,230 Posts

Good to hear you caught it in time Mick. I’ve seen a few six figure pro-touring builds do the same thing from valve cover leaks. Fire extinguishers are a must in this hobby. I’ve had my Chevelle do this once, but I was running it in the shop and headers weren’t super hot yet. Happens to us all.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 495 Likes on 320 Posts

Man that is scary stuff! Glad it didn't get worse.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,216 Likes on 2,512 Posts

One thing crossed my mind reading all this (I hope all gets fixed, Mick!). People within our exclusive little circle (lol!) might tend to have our valve covers off more often than Joe McAverage. I think it's possible that the valve cover gaskets are not always as well attended to as they possibly should. And they're relatively cheap....
Old 08-19-2020, 11:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
One thing crossed my mind reading all this (I hope all gets fixed, Mick!). People within our exclusive little circle (lol!) might tend to have our valve covers off more often than Joe McAverage. I think it's possible that the valve cover gaskets are not always as well attended to as they possibly should. And they're relatively cheap....
Mostly because they are pretty much an after thought when you compare them to the old school gasket. I mean the are pretty much bullet proof as far as what they can take. All you really have to do is make sure they are seated in the cover and clean and you are good to go.
G Atsma (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,216 Likes on 2,512 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Mostly because they are pretty much an after thought when you compare them to the old school gasket. I mean the are pretty much bullet proof as far as what they can take. All you really have to do is make sure they are seated in the cover and clean and you are good to go.
Agreed! I think one major concern is careful handling while removing/replacing valve covers. It would not be hard to nick an O-ring during all the maneuvering of the R/R process.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Agreed! I think one major concern is careful handling while removing/replacing valve covers. It would not be hard to nick an O-ring during all the maneuvering of the R/R process.
It just makes me really remember how much i love these LS motors from working on all the old school small blocks of years past. I really even hate working on that sh#$ anymore because of the gaskets and covers.
G Atsma (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 02:18 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

it just makes me really remember how much i love these ls motors from working on all the old school small blocks of years past. i really even hate working on that sh#$ anymore because of the gaskets and covers.
a-men
Old 08-19-2020, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

It just makes me really remember how much i love these LS motors from working on all the old school small blocks of years past. I really even hate working on that sh#$ anymore because of the gaskets and covers.
Lol! I was just doing some testing on my motor and I did everything I could to not take the covers off. I hate it. Mine are aftermarket and if they're not on just right they leak. It sucks. But stock won't fit even with the thicker gaskets
Old 08-19-2020, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 245 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks guys...
i think it has been 5 days since I last had covers off and I've been street tuning every day so it's just one of those things. Also in the area it caught fire is the clutch fluid cylinder and I'd been bleeding clutch, I do put rags rite around cylinder when I fill but some spillage could have leaked . I also used a cloth wrap for the engine harness and when inspecting the harness it seemed to me it acted a bit like a sponge. It was moist with oil from top of engine down to starter, crank sensor etc
in regards vacuum darth I don't think this had anything to do with crank case pressure, more to do with actual oil pressure. I'm running standard volume oil pump but with priority mains my oil pressure from start doesn't go below pegged at max. My gauge goes to 50kpa , hp tuners shows it around 75kpa
i have a mamo ported msd intake and no damage.
ill say it again ... If you have modified your car, it's a must you have a fire extinghuiser on board ....
this 2nd time with this car, 1st time I blew an oil cooler line, oil poured straight onto extractor , that fire was huge , without extinghuiser it would hv gone
G Atsma (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 754 Likes on 408 Posts

Glad you n the car are ok. Man, I gotta be honest when I say I havent even considerd having one in my car. Anyone have any links to a decent extinguisher for cruise n carry?
G Atsma (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 09:41 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,230 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Glad you n the car are ok. Man, I gotta be honest when I say I havent even considerd having one in my car. Anyone have any links to a decent extinguisher for cruise n carry?
Heres one Ryan priced pretty well...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-mx100b
G Atsma (08-20-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 754 Likes on 408 Posts

^^^not gunna even lie, I orderd one up this morning from summit. This one
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg100c
The following 2 users liked this post by rkupon1:
G Atsma (08-21-2020), Mickyinks (08-24-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 245 Likes on 164 Posts

I pulled the engine harness and went over it, was blackened , no melted wires,02 plug was toast so put new one on, new crank position sensor, new o2s, put it back together and Crank no start.
Its one thing i have no clue about, electrical...
Anyway checked crank position wires for resistance and that was good, pulled plug leads one by one both banks and checked spark, all good
Pulled fuel rails and have fuel and pressure....
Cranked it for a while and pulled spark plugs, no fuel... It cranks, it sparks, but no fuel...
Turned scanner on and map only showing 10kpa, oil temp shows minus 40, when i crank it rpm signal shows 120 odd rpm, injector pulse 1.4ms......
I havnt got test light so havnt tested injectors but know im not getting fuel... changed relays around, pulled fuses and checked......ground wires are all grounded.....
I dont know enough about electrical side to check other things ....
Needing some easy to understand testing procedures to go further....
Any help would be appreciated....
I think im gunna buy a tech2.....

Quick Reply: LSX 454 freshen up