Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam bearing install by shop. These even runable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cam bearing install by shop. These even runable?

Runable

Old 12-27-2020, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If you don't trust the cam bearings they installed, would you trust anything else they did? Pictures are hard to decipher, but those look to be a mess.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joyridin'
If you don't trust the cam bearings they installed, would you trust anything else they did? Pictures are hard to decipher, but those look to be a mess.
all I did was have them clean block and install bearings. 212 bucks
Old 12-27-2020, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 680 Likes on 554 Posts

Damn hope it's just the pictures.......

For your own piece of mind 🤫
Compare a New Cam bearing Photo vs what you've got.

A new Cam bearing Installed or OTB looks the same ..

If you Feel any Scratches to the Touch so will the cam 👍
Maybe a Very 👉Very 👉very, light clean up could help if you feel anything. 🤔 KCS type of question.

Anything Deep👎, btw don't use the same people if those are scratches seen in the pics. 👍

Last edited by Corona; 12-27-2020 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Woodylyf767 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

That 1st picture looks terrible. I would make them redo them or get your money back.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Is it possible to get better pictures? What I am seeing is not something I would feel confident with...

Do we have a master list of trusted shops? Sorted by zip code, or something? More importantly, do we have a list of shops not to trust...?

It's cam bearings, not rocket surgery... if they can't do this right the first time, it might be best to find a different shop to do the fix. And possibly alert others to avoid BS in the future.

Everyone can make mistakes, and maybe the problem is the pictures. But if your shop doesn't do freaking backflips to ensure this is right, it is time to find someome else, me-thinks...
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidBoren:
G Atsma (12-29-2020), Woodylyf767 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Is it possible to get better pictures? What I am seeing is not something I would feel confident with...

Do we have a master list of trusted shops? Sorted by zip code, or something? More importantly, do we have a list of shops not to trust...?

It's cam bearings, not rocket surgery... if they can't do this right the first time, it might be best to find a different shop to do the fix. And possibly alert others to avoid BS in the future.

Everyone can make mistakes, and maybe the problem is the pictures. But if your shop doesn't do freaking backflips to ensure this is right, it is time to find someome else, me-thinks...

I agree
Old 12-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake33
all I did was have them clean block and install bearings. 212 bucks
$212 just to clean the block and R&R the bearings?????

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Yes, everybody makes mistakes. And I suppose sometimes even the best shop will nick a cam bearing. But when you see THIS kind of damage done to multiple cam bearings in the same block, it ISN’T just a mistake. This is beyond mere carelessness.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

The scratches in the 3rd picture look normal. I've seen drips in whatever coatings they put on new bearings that look a lot like those scratch marks.

Picture 2 is hard to see and picture 1 looks like the scratched it up pretty bad.

Did they have the dimensions of your cam bearing journals? Or the cam?

It's possible that could have been their way of clearancing the bearing for the cam.

You can get very fine steel wool and clean up the scratches to a point... But you'd have to check the ID and make sure it doesn't get too out of round or spec.

The proper way is to test fit with the cam you run and polish down the cam journal
Old 12-31-2020, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

After looking at it again those notches where the X are are concerning. That stuff in the middle is most likely normal.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Woodylyf767

After looking at it again those notches where the X are are concerning. That stuff in the middle is most likely normal.

Okay. Maybe I'll try and smooth them out he was gonna use a lathe to turn new bearings down
Old 12-31-2020, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Default B

I told him I'd take it back refund the money
Old 01-02-2021, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should be fine, they will get more marks on them when u install the cam.
just smooth with steel wool as someone else said.
so long as the cam turns freely no dramas.
Cam bearing clearances are not usually subject to the close tolerances as rods and mains.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:43 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendall Whiting
They should be fine, they will get more marks on them when u install the cam.
just smooth with steel wool as someone else said.
so long as the cam turns freely no dramas.
Cam bearing clearances are not usually subject to the close tolerances as rods and mains.
I disagree with this. Operating oil pressure...not peak pressure...in an engine is determined by bearing clearances and oil temps. If cam bearing clearances are too big, you’ll always fight a low pressure issue. I spend a ridiculous amount of time setting all my clearances, including cam bearings, to ensure oil pressures are proper for the build and usage. It takes boxes and boxes of bearings to get this right if your looking for a certain number. I like my cam bearings to be .0028 to .003 for a hydraulic street build. Rod and main bearings will drastically vary depending on hp level and usage.
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (01-02-2021), Kendall Whiting (01-03-2021), tblentrprz (01-04-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Ever go to an old machine shop and see camshafts hanging on the wall for various engines and the bearing surface has slots ground in it? If your bearings were a bit too tight due to whatever reason, they would take one of these camshafts and run it through the bearings opening them up to the correct size.

That is what it looks like happened to your bearings.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts

WOW!!!!
First, stay far away from that hack shop.
2. Take to a better shop and have them put new bearings in it. That first pic looked terrible. The others weren't too great either.
Also where ever you take it, Hopefully they don't install wrong bearings. Certain early model Gen 3 engines used different cam bearings. So there will be two different part numbers available.
Good luck.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joyridin'
Ever go to an old machine shop and see camshafts hanging on the wall for various engines and the bearing surface has slots ground in it? If your bearings were a bit too tight due to whatever reason, they would take one of these camshafts and run it through the bearings opening them up to the correct size.

That is what it looks like happened to your bearings.
Some sand down the backs of the bearings before install also. And if they clearanced it the way you speak they should still polish or at least clean up the scoring imo

Quick Reply: Cam bearing install by shop. These even runable?