Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 402 short block at SDPC!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoLS1
Will LS1 heads work on this? And do ou guys sale the iron block version? If so, is it the same deal but a little cheaper?!
Yes your cylinder heads will work just fine. Keep in mind, the C6 (05' Corvette with a stock LS2) uses LS6 cylinder heads. Perry is exacly correct. A 402ci with a nice small cam shaft would be a blast around town, and would feel realy fast. The bigger the cam shaft the higher your torque is going to be in the RPM range, and torque is hp.

We do offer this 402ci set up in the Iron block. We could sell it to you for about the same price, maybe a little cheaper. The iron set up will not need all the extra parts that I ship with the LS2 set up (front cover, timming set, and valley cover). Keep in mind we are adding about 100lbs to the front of your car if we do that. The iron block has it's ups & downs, as does the LS2 aluminum block, but we will build what suits your needs!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:35 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Perry Kincy
Here is my thinking. We got a 4 inch stroke now. And I ran my 346 with a 3.62 inch stroke to 7000. I will not do that with the longer stroke. Too much piston speed, too much angular force.

So if I want to limit my rpm to 6600 I must have a cam that makes its power down low. And the mega cams won't do that.

90% of what we feel on the street as power is torque. 90% of what we use at the dragstrip is hp. I don't drag race. The beauty of my 383 LT1s is off idle power. The disappointment I had with my higher hp/lower torque LS1 (than the 383 LT1s) was the lack of jump while in a reasonable gear on the street. I will now have that back. How many times are you cruising at 2500 rpm and want to get around someone or hit it? Now figure how many times you are cruising at 4000 rpm and you want to hit it? I am way more in the former and way less of the latter. That was the problem with my H/C car; it was hella slow at 2500 rpm.

And I have been around long enough that I am not at all concerned by the "my d*ck is bigger than your d*ck" discussions over dyno numbers.

So what is good for me is likely not good for all others but it floats my boat.

I am definitely looking forward to putting the car back on the road. Than I got one of my 383s I want to freshen. It never seems to end.

Perry
Perry,

Glad to know that you have your motor & it's going in!! I know it took a little while, but it will be well worth the wait!! If you need anything please feel free to call or email me.

I also was noticing that you are going to want to freshen up your 383. we would be happy to do that for you, and now that you have your 402 you have the perfect shipping crate. I could get you a very good freight rate for the shipping both ways. Let me know if there is anything I or SDPC can do!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Kris,

The motor looks great! We should have it in by Sat PM and I will drive it for a week to break it in and part throttle tune it. Than next week I will add a new fuel pump (decided to go with 42 lb/hr injectors) and we will dyno it and wot tune it. Boy that is quite a rig for the cam sensor wiring up front.

Perry

PS: it was great to get the car out of the garage finally. It looks good sitting by the lift waiting the new motor.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

I wish you had this available before I started my 408 buildup.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I am a virgin at attachments, but the first I will try is the motor partially dressed from the front to see the LS2 Cam Sensor.

Perry

PS, if this works I will try some tomorrow the the KSers and the headers on.

[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Old 02-17-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm, So much for my ability to follow directions and use a computer.

No Image Perry
Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, So much for my ability to follow directions and use a computer.

No Image Perry
Send it to me and I'll post it.

stone4779@yahoo.com
Old 03-04-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

The SDPC LS2 402 is in and running. Working on getting it tuned and ready to smog so I can get the car reregistered than I can get serious about wot tuning.

Just got the idle worked out last nite and was able to run it a little harder.....Seems VERY strong everywhere.

Knock Sensors are working well and seem appropriately sensitive in the block location.

Some install issues that need attending to. Seems that the crossmember got moved over a bit in my install and the steering linkage is contacting the header tube at full lock....that needs attending to.

But overall it has come together surprisingly well. Thanks, Kris.

Perry
Old 03-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Naked AV

You're going to smog a 402 in California? I'm very interested in hearing how this turns out.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Naked AV
You're going to smog a 402 in California? I'm very interested in hearing how this turns out.
I probably should update my Profile, but moved to Vegas over a year ago.

Perry
Old 03-04-2005, 10:40 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

The SDPC LS2 402 is in and running. Working on getting it tuned and ready to smog so I can get the car reregistered than I can get serious about wot tuning.

Just got the idle worked out last nite and was able to run it a little harder.....Seems VERY strong everywhere.

Knock Sensors are working well and seem appropriately sensitive in the block location.

Some install issues that need attending to. Seems that the crossmember got moved over a bit in my install and the steering linkage is contacting the header tube at full lock....that needs attending to.

Perry
Perry, Glad to know your motor is in and running! Let me know how everything goes. Can't wait for you go to the track and show everyone that Perry has a new friend in town!!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Perry
Well, since I am moving to California later this year, I will be very interested in hearing about your encounter with the smog *****.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 89FormulaLS2
Well, since I am moving to California later this year, I will be very interested in hearing about your encounter with the smog *****.
I handled the Republik of Kalifornia smog station by moving to Las Vegas.

We use an ALDL I/M test. You simply need to have no codes and no more than 1 emission monitor not completing. I had been driving around all day trying to get down to 1. Finally did and pulled directly into the smog station.

Perry
Old 03-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Naked AV

I handled the Republik of Kalifornia smog station by moving to Las Vegas.

We use an ALDL I/M test. You simply need to have no codes and no more than 1 emission monitor not completing. I had been driving around all day trying to get down to 1. Finally did and pulled directly into the smog station.

Perry
Yes, you should change your profile.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Perry
I'm taking it that you got the knock sensors to work? How did you do it, and how is everything working out for you?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
I'm taking it that you got the knock sensors to work? How did you do it, and how is everything working out for you?
I'm curious to know about the knock sensors working also. What headers are you running that fit with the knock sensors?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Knock sensors appear to be working perfectly. I don't have excessive knock but I have it everywhere I did on the H/C LS1 motor. And the sensor will retard mild knock (0.4 deg retard) as well as the big stuff (7.7 degree retard). The latter seems to occur when the throttle is closed rapidly after a wot run. So it is false knock but the sensors in the valley cover had the same thing happen. This I will tune out by simply limiting retard to 2-4 degrees.

Perry
Old 03-10-2005, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default 402 shortblock

Are these LS1 specific rods or some other design?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:28 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyclerage
Are these LS1 specific rods or some other design?
The rods we use in our short blocks are for sure LS1 specific rods. You have an option of the Crower I beam rods, or the Callies H beam! Both are very nice.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned

can you get some pictures up?

Originally Posted by KJ@SDPC
We were able to use one of the motor mount holes for the knock sensors, because our engine dyno does not need all of them. Of course when you put the motor in the car that will be a different story. Realy the best thing to do is tap the original hole that GM used for the LS2 sensor.

I will try to get some pics up asap!

Quick Reply: LS2 402 short block at SDPC!