Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Strokers w/Knock Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Strokers w/Knock Sensors?

Are there any out there? Can I build a Stock cube LS2 w/Knock sensors. I just want a bullet-proof ride and the knock sensors will add a little piece of mind.

Essentially, I am planning to build a N/A motor this winter, purchase an LS2 equipped car (Vette or GTO) over the summer and just swap em out...

Any help would be great!
Old 12-22-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
Are there any out there? Can I build a Stock cube LS2 w/Knock sensors. I just want a bullet-proof ride and the knock sensors will add a little piece of mind.

Essentially, I am planning to build a N/A motor this winter, purchase an LS2 equipped car (Vette or GTO) over the summer and just swap em out...

Any help would be great!
PM the guys at SDPC - they should have an answer. Let us know what they have to say - please.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was hoping they might chime in... a little help please???
Old 12-22-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

for a non LS2 car you have to turn them off in the pcm. this has been told straight from sdpc.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read through their whole post and that what I understood as well. There has to be a way, or it is coming soon...
Old 12-22-2004, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
I read through their whole post and that what I understood as well. There has to be a way, or it is coming soon...
Nothing yet. SLP is also working toward a solution.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

I think the problem is the LS2 sensors report all "noise" and the PCM determines knock...i.e. the algorithms in the LS2 Pcm interpret the sensor feedback. In the LS1 PCM the there is no knock sensor filtering - all filtering is done by the sensor as it recognises the knock print.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You really don't need the knock sensors.You know I'll tune your car safe I disconnected the knock sensors on my supercharged Vette last summer and still no problems with 12lbs on a stock motor.My new motor will also run without knock sensors
Old 12-23-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You really don't need the knock sensors.You know I'll tune your car safe I disconnected the knock sensors on my supercharged Vette last summer and still no problems with 12lbs on a stock motor.My new motor will also run without knock sensors
Yeah, good point . We didn't have knock sensor protection for years.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
There is some validity to running no knock sensors, especially if you run a lower compression ratio like 10.9 or slightly lower on a mild tune.

But that brings up the questions of: Why leave power on the table by running a lower compression ratio and conservative tune with no knock sensors? Isn't that one of the benefits of EFI; being able to run on the ragged edge and allowing the PCM to manage detonation for you without grenading your $$$ engine? From what ir sounds like, there is no immediate fix in sight and probably will keep alot of people from pulling the trigger on this otherwise killer setup.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Just put premium in the tank and have it tuned by a REPUTABLE tuner and it should never knock anyway. There should be no reason why anyone would try anything retarded with lots of knock potential. Besides, on the point made above, if you run on the edge of detonation where the power is, the KS would just cancel it out. Then you might potentially lose MORE power than if you were running a more conservative tune that would never knock.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

But what about the mere chance of bad gas?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

You might be able to go this route...
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...&part=MSD-8964
Old 12-23-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Now that's neat, an aftermarket KS. I'll probably never use a KS but it's nice to know there's an option out there. Besides, I don't think bad gas would be bad enough to cause detrimental engine knock anyway.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a budy that had is car tune and they turned his KS off. His motor blow 800 miles later. Not weather it was the tuner or his driving style we will never know but i do know he had to get a new motor to get up and running.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it can be done someone will do it.
I saw them talking about possibly using knock sensors from other cars like a
Grand Prix that had the sensors mounted on the side of the block like the LS2.
I'm sure in another month or so we'll know if there's any way to run knock
sensors on an LS2 engine using an LS1/LS6 computer.

At least I hope they find a solution in another month or so since I think a LOT
more people would jump at these LS2 402 combinations if the knock sensors
where usable.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guy's relieze that Mustangs still have no KR sensor's,right?We are mostly a Stang shop and do a ton of superchargers.If you get bad gas and here pinging ,it is your job not to drive the car like an idiot.Yes,I have seen some horrible tune's out there that would wreck a motor very fast if the KR sensors where shut off.
Forged motor's need an unreal amount of detination to wreck the pistons.So I wouldn't worry much about a forged 402 burning up quickly.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

I have asked Kris to include a couple of LT1 (I need to email him to make that LT4 knock sensors) in my 402 build. As best as I can tell from a detailed reading of the Helms manual the circuits for the LT1/4 and the LS1 KSs and the pcm are the same logic. I will try both the LS1 and LT4 knock sensors in block bosses with an extended harness. If that doesn't work I will turn them off until someone builds a box that will convert the LS2 sensor output to something the LS1 pcm can read. I will be happy with any of those 3 possibilities. If my KS circuit is not operating to my satisfaction I simply will run 27 deg total timing at high load/high rpm. I now run 28 degrees in my H/C/LT car. Of course I use gas from the Republik of Kalifornia (even here in Las Vegas) so can't add timing.

Also in my experience way to many folks think more timing is the answer where getting the fuel right is generally way more important. Even with the operating KSers I had the total KR limited to 2 degrees (down from 20 deg) due to false knock from the noise generated by a built motor. So lets don't blow this out of proportion. Order, install and rock!

Perry

BTW, I should have the motor in and the KSers checked out by mid January
Old 12-25-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry Kincy
I have asked Kris to include a couple of LT1 (I need to email him to make that LT4 knock sensors) in my 402 build. As best as I can tell from a detailed reading of the Helms manual the circuits for the LT1/4 and the LS1 KSs and the pcm are the same logic. I will try both the LS1 and LT4 knock sensors in block bosses with an extended harness.
Dude, youre the man! Were the LT1 / LT4 knock sensors located on the side of the block similar to the location of the LS2 sensors? Also, wasnt the LT1 / LT4 an iron block? Maybe were all worrying too much about the sonic fingerprints of knock in different blocks and locations. Maybe itll just work... I mean, has anybody proven that it wont work yet?
Old 12-25-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Dude, youre the man! Were the LT1 / LT4 knock sensors located on the side of the block similar to the location of the LS2 sensors? Also, wasnt the LT1 / LT4 an iron block? Maybe were all worrying too much about the sonic fingerprints of knock in different blocks and locations. Maybe itll just work... I mean, has anybody proven that it wont work yet?
That is precisely the point....the worst that will happen is that it won't work or that it doesn't work as well. However I suspect that either the LT4 sensor or the LS1 sensor will work in the block location.

Perry

Quick Reply: LS2 Strokers w/Knock Sensors?