Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

cost of Z06 with 7.0L LS7= $75,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
Musclecar = RWD
Just buy a set of slicks for the track and try to lift the front wheels off the ground
That may be, but an AWD car with the same amount of power will leave a RWD muscle car so far in the dust they won't be able to catch up.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres a pretty big difference from 11.7 to 10s.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Another_User
That may be, but an AWD car with the same amount of power will leave a RWD muscle car so far in the dust they won't be able to catch up.
That's not entirely true.

AWD is nice, and I would love to see it as an option on more GM cars.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

hmm, does Ferrari offer an AWD vehicles? No? Yes, Porsche does, but it is a bit easier to do that when the engine is in the back behind the rear wheels. The Bentley Continental GT has 550hp and AWD and is considerably slower than the other 500+ horsepower cars available.

Plain and simple, the new Z06 will be at the very top of the bang per buck category the minute it hits the streets. With it's wins in the ALMS and Trans AM series, the Corvette has gained more respect from high-end buyers. Yes, it's just a Chevy, but it's a Chevy with a huge 500+hp engine, aluminum frame, and carbon fiber body panels.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AdioSS
hmm, does Ferrari offer an AWD vehicles? No? Yes, Porsche does, but it is a bit easier to do that when the engine is in the back behind the rear wheels. The Bentley Continental GT has 550hp and AWD and is considerably slower than the other 500+ horsepower cars available.

Plain and simple, the new Z06 will be at the very top of the bang per buck category the minute it hits the streets. With it's wins in the ALMS and Trans AM series, the Corvette has gained more respect from high-end buyers. Yes, it's just a Chevy, but it's a Chevy with a huge 500+hp engine, aluminum frame, and carbon fiber body panels.
:yawn: GM offered the Cyclones and Typhoons as AWD. They were fast as heck. I don't know why people just settle for whatever. Lamborghinis are AWD, so I don't get this Ferrari comparison. Just because one company offered a poopie AWD sports car doesn't mean it wouldn't help.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AdioSS

And the bentley gt weights 5247 lbs too. You dont buy a bentley for speed. All wheel drive is not a bad thing and neither is rear wheel drive. I think we all can agree that, not only does it look stupid with big tires on the front with skinnys on back, but front wheel drive is HORRIABLE for racing. http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/ben...av..6.Bentley*
Old 01-20-2005, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

I have to strongly disagree, awd cars see 25-30% drivetrain losses as opposed to 15-18% for rwd cars. 10% difference is 50hp to the wheels. Not to mention the 200-300lbs extra weight. My bet is a rwd z06 would be as fast if not faster in the quarter mile than an awd z06. The rwd z06 would also tear apart the awd car topend acceleration, top speed, and would bet it on a road coarse.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stik6shift93
I have to strongly disagree, awd cars see 25-30% drivetrain losses as opposed to 15-18% for rwd cars. 10% difference is 50hp to the wheels. Not to mention the 200-300lbs extra weight. My bet is a rwd z06 would be as fast if not faster in the quarter mile than an awd z06. The rwd z06 would also tear apart the awd car topend acceleration, top speed, and would bet it on a road coarse.
Well I guess GM will just have to give me a free AWD C6 vette so we can all find out.

But yes, the top end would suffer a bit.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess that explains why all top fuel cars are awd.... oh wait

ever wonder why all of the fastest DSM's are strictly rwd?
Old 01-20-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSONE
i guess that explains why all top fuel cars are awd.... oh wait

ever wonder why all of the fastest DSM's are strictly rwd?
I hate this apples to oranges poop. Those cars do not see street duty. AWD would be better for 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, around town, in the rain, and in the snow. Heaven forbid it shouldn't follow the same rules as top fuel cars. Why don't we put skinnies on the front and all the other non-streetable things that top fuel cars use. Duh.

AND almost no DSMs are RWD. Very few, and they are not the fastest.

Anybody else?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes, awd is nice for the rain and snow... but who in their right mind is going to be driving their 70k z06 around in the rain and snow?!?!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Default re

Originally Posted by 30th TA 0219
I am greatly concerned GM has created another ZR1 ( a bad thing as far as sales go)
They have priced it out of the average Vette/Z06 buyer's price range, and underpriced it as far as having credibility with "supercar" buyers.
It's already got a strike against it for being American. Even as good as the Viper is, it still lacks world recognition, as it is brutish vehicle.
It's unfortunate, as I think it will be hands-down the best car dollar for dollar in the world.
i didnt read the whole thread BUT, the reason of a car like this is so it can compete in LeMans. the homology says 50-75 cars i believe but gm is actually doing the right thing. it should be a limited car and there should not be a lot of them. the 04's and below shouldve been more limited. with so many out there it takes away the presteige of what its suppose to mimic.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Default re

Well I guess GM will just have to give me a free AWD C6 vette so we can all find out.

But yes, the top end would suffer a bit.
gm DID build an LT5, twin turbo, transverse mounted awd vette concept.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate this apples to oranges poop. Those cars do not see street duty. AWD would be better for 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, around town, in the rain, and in the snow. Heaven forbid it shouldn't follow the same rules as top fuel cars. Why don't we put skinnies on the front and all the other non-streetable things that top fuel cars use. Duh.

AND almost no DSMs are RWD. Very few, and they are not the fastest.

Anybody else?
umh, almost every awd dms that compeditivly drag races has been converted to rwd only. do some research. AWD is NOT faster than RWD in the quarter. by putting an equally powerful engine into an awd car and a rwd car, the rwd car will be faster. awd cars weigh more and lose more power through the drivetrain, in fact almost twice as much as the rwd. with slicks the launching advantage an awd car has over a rwd car become null, whats the advantage? if you're talking about auto crossing, the sti and evo both posted an amazing .90 in the skidpad, whereas the f-bodies posted a .87, and both AWD cars are slower.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im going to really p**s some of you guys off now. here in the UK we exspect the new Vette to cost about £75K. dont ask why it will be that much (it coz we always get f**Ked like that, blame our stupid goverment), it just will. now you can buy some very fast cars for 75K over here. for starters (and this isn't that fear coz you people cant get them) but we have a small company called TVR that build cars that are stupid fast and pretty cheap. then we (and you guys now can get these to) also have kit car builders like Ultima. the Ultima just broke the world record for 0-60mph (2.6sec) and the 0-100-0 (cant remember) times. and the car that did it cost less than £75k to build!

now on the topic of 4wd, rwd and fwd. some of the most entertaining race series in the world are with low power front wheel drive cars. also the WRC is very entertaining and they use 4WD. and then there is F1 that uses RWD, but thats boaring coz no one overtakes, but you get my drift. so it all comes down to taest. me, i like all three in there own rights. fwd is great when throwing a car down a narrow, twisty back road. 4wd can be great for throwing around on a track and producing stupid angle power slides (and being able to get them back). and RWD for the putirty that it gives you.

i personal think that to be entertained by a car does not have to mean doing close to 200mph in the fasest time posiable, but its more about getting the most from the car,and yourself, for as long as you can. this is why hire cars can be sooooo much fun. you can thrash the nuts off them (ie run them right at their limit and yours) at reasonable speeds! and i would much proffer to hit the Armco at 80 as oppoed to 180!!!!!

just my thoughts and i have no dout that you guys and girls will have a lot to ay on it! but atleast its friday!

Chris
Old 01-21-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chuntington101
im going to really p**s some of you guys off now. here in the UK we exspect the new Vette to cost about £75K. dont ask why it will be that much (it coz we always get f**Ked like that, blame our stupid goverment), it just will. now you can buy some very fast cars for 75K over here. for starters (and this isn't that fear coz you people cant get them) but we have a small company called TVR that build cars that are stupid fast and pretty cheap. then we (and you guys now can get these to) also have kit car builders like Ultima. the Ultima just broke the world record for 0-60mph (2.6sec) and the 0-100-0 (cant remember) times. and the car that did it cost less than £75k to build!

now on the topic of 4wd, rwd and fwd. some of the most entertaining race series in the world are with low power front wheel drive cars. also the WRC is very entertaining and they use 4WD. and then there is F1 that uses RWD, but thats boaring coz no one overtakes, but you get my drift. so it all comes down to taest. me, i like all three in there own rights. fwd is great when throwing a car down a narrow, twisty back road. 4wd can be great for throwing around on a track and producing stupid angle power slides (and being able to get them back). and RWD for the putirty that it gives you.

i personal think that to be entertained by a car does not have to mean doing close to 200mph in the fasest time posiable, but its more about getting the most from the car,and yourself, for as long as you can. this is why hire cars can be sooooo much fun. you can thrash the nuts off them (ie run them right at their limit and yours) at reasonable speeds! and i would much proffer to hit the Armco at 80 as oppoed to 180!!!!!

just my thoughts and i have no dout that you guys and girls will have a lot to ay on it! but atleast its friday!

Chris
us americans are just obcessed with speed. that plus the room to do it makes things interesting. dunno bout you but formula 1 and nascar is pritty good racing. see top fuels are ina whole new catagory cuz those are the fastest "cars" on the planet. it takes one hell ofa driver to drive onea thoase things, and whenever they run they run right on the edge of disaster... literally. just because the cars are fast as crap does not mean the driver and cars arent taken to their limits because they actually are..a lot. not all the drivers or cars make it through every race. it kinda seems like different countries have diff tastes in racing and its all good. hell id love to go see a good rally race or the 24 hrs of LeMans, which is i thinkk, the most physically and mentally demanding race thought up.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your so concerned with traction, daily drive with ET streets. it'll kill any awd ricer out there. I for one would be sick if the vette went AWD.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
If your so concerned with traction, daily drive with ET streets. it'll kill any awd ricer out there. I for one would be sick if the vette went AWD.
LOL. Oh well.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 01-21-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Is that symbolic of this thread?

Quick Reply: cost of Z06 with 7.0L LS7= $75,000