Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS9 DOHC / LS8 / And end of life for LS7

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
If a TVR V12 can acheive 114.3bhp/litre then I'm pretty sure it's within the abilities of the LS9 and still remain very very streetable and probably even meeting noise and emission standards.

So 6.4 x 114.3 = 731.5 potential streetable LEGAL bhp from the LS9

The LS7 WILL NOT likely acheive the same specific output, as it is a LSx engine we can make the assumption that it will acheive similar specific output as the LS1 can (the larger the capacity the harder it is to maintain specific output).

From what I've seen a bolt on h/c stock displacement LS1 rarely produces anymore than 430-450rwhp TOPS (this NEEDS to be on a Mustang Dyno NOT a Dynojet, so we can get a better comparison to SAE Net figures).

So in reality a 450rwhp motor is going to be producing ~500-535bhp at the engine. Giving (535 / 5.7) a specifc output of 93.9bhp/litre for a LS1 engine which is still just about streetable and at least has a chance at meeting emission and noise regs.

We can therefore use this figure for the LS7 to give an estimate of it's potential bhp as a street motor under the same critera, so 93.9 x 7 = 657.3bhp (flywheel).

So even if the LS9 weighs an extra 100lb or so, is it really going to be truly offset against the deficeit in bhp, especially when fitted to a vehicle weighing 3100lb to start with. Is the extra 100lb of engine really going to slow it up?
[/i]
Cause you know, hp/L is what it is all about
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Teching In

This should be badass, I was hoping the C6 Z06 was DOHC, although I am happy with the LS7 motors. It is a bit sad to me that they had to supercharge the motor to get 600hp out of a 6-liter quad cam... Maybe just to meet emissions standards. Let's hope that motor has some bad *** potential. Otherwise I will have little reason anymore to think that DOHC motors more than marginally superior to OHV.

Haha, some of the folks on Digital Corvette seem to think DOHC motors are inferior to their pushrod power producers that are "easily wrenchable by the enthusiast"... "I think the LT5 had to be pulled and sent back to the factory for any more than a plug change" ...if you're too much of a bitch to do it yourself. One guy even bashes the sound of a properly tuned DOHC motor... hahaha... what a moron.

Edit: In response to the argument of weight of the LS9 affecting the ability of the Corvette SS, I honestly would assume that 600bhp is a modest output claim, but even if the motor weighed 150 or 200lbs more, it would take somewhere around another 750lbs to nullify the effects of an increase of 95bhp.

Last edited by ProductionS14; 03-08-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ProductionS14
This should be badass, I was hoping the C6 Z06 was DOHC, although I am happy with the LS7 motors. It is a bit sad to me that they had to supercharge the motor to get 600hp out of a 6-liter quad cam... Maybe just to meet emissions standards. Let's hope that motor has some bad *** potential. Otherwise I will have little reason anymore to think that DOHC motors more than marginally superior to OHV.

Haha, some of the folks on Digital Corvette seem to think DOHC motors are inferior to their pushrod power producers that are "easily wrenchable by the enthusiast"... "I think the LT5 had to be pulled and sent back to the factory for any more than a plug change" ...if you're too much of a bitch to do it yourself. One guy even bashes the sound of a properly tuned DOHC motor... hahaha... what a moron.

Edit: In response to the argument of weight of the LS9 affecting the ability of the Corvette SS, I honestly would assume that 600bhp is a modest output claim, but even if the motor weighed 150 or 200lbs more, it would take somewhere around another 750lbs to nullify the effects of an increase of 95bhp.

It is NOT going to be OHC.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by macky
It is NOT going to be OHC.
True, they decided not to go a DOHC platform before the LS1 was introduced.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firefighter
Yeah the first thing I thought of when I heard DOHC all I could think of was the LT5 a great motor but it wasn't too much better than the LT1 an it cost sooooooo much more it was stupid. The acceleration on thos things was barely better but yes it did have long legs on the top end.
Long legs on the top end but it handled a bit like a pig since it had an extra 200 lbs on the front end.

OK on a road race course but was pretty worthless to autox.

Perry
Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hitchhiker19
Sorry for making a late reply, but what about two cams in the block with a 3-valve setup, one cam runs intake, the other runs exhaust. would that work?
You dont need 2 cams to run 3 vavles. There are 3 valve heads out for gen 1 sbc.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B.W.
Cause you know, hp/L is what it is all about
No, hp/L is irrelevant unless you have tax or insurance laws or racing rules based on displacement.

What matters is emissions, economy, power, power curve, packaging, and cost. Those last two help help keep inline valve pushrod motors alive.

The first (emissions) is at the root of many forced induction solutions; you need to keep the cam timing to conservative to produce power without. For example, the LS7s tortured cam timing (211/230/121) in order to prevent intake from flowing out the exhaust.

State of the art? BMW's new direct injection, 4 valve, continously variable intake and exhaust centerline and lift, turbo-charged 3.0L. Ridiculous state of tune though with only 306hp and 295 (undoubtly computer limited) lbf-ft of torque available from 1500rpm. Very compact packaging, and very light weight. Probably clean as a whisper also. I would expect to see a 350-400hp version within a few years.

Another interesting observation, most modern production engines (DOHC 4v) seem to be 550-600cc/cylinder and slightly undersquare with a low rod/stroke ratio (the LS7 appears to be 1.5 vs a 350 SBCs 1.63). There are very few engines with smaller cylinders (other than the smallest 4 cylinder sub-sub compact motors) and few larger (MB's new 5.5l is the only one I can think of that is larger, and that their V6 oversquare).

My guess is that is a combination of factors. However looking at the Engine Master's Challenge it may be to allow high compression ratios with limited octane.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:42 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

See this post also.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/437433-benefits-32-valve-heads.html

I think the autoblog feature sums it up nicely....
Old 03-28-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

How about overhead inlet side exhaust this uses a cam that acts directly on the valves as well as using puch rods.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I remember reading about that in Sport Compact Car of all magazines. Seems like an interesting idea to me. Nothing will probably ever come of it though, like most of the other variations of the IC engine that have come and gone.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RussStang
Yeah, I remember reading about that in Sport Compact Car of all magazines. Seems like an interesting idea to me. Nothing will probably ever come of it though, like most of the other variations of the IC engine that have come and gone.
Funnily enough it has been well used over the years very popular in the 30's and most Rover engines right into the 70's used this setup (some even used slanted pistons as opposed to roud ones).

Such engines are meant to be very smooth but drink fuel like there's no tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I havent read all 11 pages of this thread but I will say this. Overall both have there advantages, pushrod motors are smaller and sometimes lighter, plus cheaper. doch motors make more power. To me the best motor is one that is of decent size and also has doch heads.

As 300hp/ton has said, a lot of you guys look at what the ford doch motors have done as the best that can be done. here is something to think about for you lsx guys. There is much talk and rumor about a new toyota supra for 07, it will have a v8 as the top of the line model. Rumor is that it will have a 5.0 liter v8 with 450hp and 383bft. Hell the base model will have a 350hp and 275bft doch 3.5 liter v6. The v8 supra should be able to give the regular c6 vette a run with only 5.0 liters. Oh and its rumored to weigh in at 3080lbs.

The above is just to show that even though displacement is nice and needed, you cant ignore hp/liter
Old 03-30-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only got up to page 8 before I gave up reading. At that point more than 50% of the posts were of little technical content anyways, but I'll still weigh in with points I hadn't seen made to that point...

Why do so many production vehicles use OHC?

The vast majority of engine development for most car manufacturers occurs in the racing world, plain and simple. MOST of that engine development is dealing with racing regulations that place restrictions on displacement. As such, the racing development is all in OHC. All that research does not roll over to OHV readily and easily. Plain and simple.

Second, Car manufacturers give their customers what they want. Customers see race cars with DOHC, and they believe OHV is inferior. If BMW were to come out with a performance bimmer that absolutely walked all over every other bimmer ever made, but it used an OHV engine, it would be extremely poorly received, plain and simple. It really is about supply and demand. The customers demand OHC, so the car manufacturers give them OHC. The vette line has sustained OHV because it's customer base is still rooted in the OHV legacy, and thank god for that. I don't necessarily believe it's because they are more educated, it's just a heritage thing for most.

OHC engines cost more?

I don't have hard facts in the form of actual proven production costs, but I do have these hard facts. For each given cylinder, there is a substantial increase in the number of individual parts required for a 3 or 4 valve OHC engine than a 2V OHV engine. Anybody in the engineering world knows that the more parts a given product has, the more complex it is to manufacture. The more inherently unreliable it is going to be, and it will also be more expensive to manufacture and assemble.

Hp/L

Here's the very simple and easy to understand reason one this figure is worthless.

Any given displacement engine is going to have a relatively small band of capable torque it will be able to generate. Roughly speaking, nearly every engine out there will make somewhere in the range of 60-80 ftlbs of torque per liter. Regardless their total displacement, that is where they'll stand in terms of total torque output.

Where that torque is made within the rev range of the engine is directly responsible for the amount of horsepower that engine will make. The farther up the rev range you're able to push your torque, the more power you make. Simple. Now, the more displacement you have, the tougher it's going to be to build a high revving engine. We're dealing with simple mechanical limitations here. The bigger the bore, the bigger the piston. The longer the stroker, the greater the distance travelled per revolution. There is a pretty hard limit on the piston speed you'll be able to sustain in any engine, even the race varieties. Given all that, the larger the displacement, the lower the redline.

You take a Formula one engine and compare it to a similar displacement production vehicle engine. Their peak torque numbers will be the same. The difference will be that the F1 engine pull that torque to a MUCH higher RPM, and thus has MUCH higher Horsepower to boot.

Hp/L means nothing more than how high up in the RPMs you are able to make that horsepower, and it's supporters are really doing nothing more than playing off the simple physical limitations involved with displacement and piston speeds. Take any two vehicles and compare their Hp/L, the one with a higher Hp/L will almost always have a higher redline, and make their peak HP at a higher RPM, and it will also almost always have a smaller PER CYLINDER displacement as well. That's really all it ever means, nothing more.

As for comparing cars, provide me a comparison of this...

Show me any vehicle that makes similar power to any of the LS series vettes, and also gets similar gas mileage ratings. Show me any other car that can pump out 505hp and still pull 24mpg highway. I personally haven't been able to find a single vehicle that comes close.

Hp/L is a technical comparison, at best, but not even one that offers any real comparative value to speak of.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ I must say that is a good post, it kinda sums every thing up!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sp57supra
The above is just to show that even though displacement is nice and needed, you cant ignore hp/liter
Yes I can. It doesn't matter AT ALL in terms of a car's ACTUAL PERFORMANCE. It is only useful for bragging with ricer math. Get. It. Through. Your. Head.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sooooo what are all you guys going to do if GM decide to go ahead with it anyway?????????

are you all going to turn your backs on the future LS engines or will you imbrace them (the the tech they use) and make them as fast as you can?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Chris.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Launching!

GM needs to do what they feel they need to do. I am not a pro OHC advocate, and I am not a pro OHV advocate. I feel they both have their place, depending on the situation. That being said, its not like I am going to have much of a say in which way GM goes with the LS9, and my only possible worry with it going OHC is how it may affect engine component compatibility with the other LS series engines. I wouldn't turn my back on a good engine simply for some stupid reason like being OHC.

I am still interested in seeing how much legitimacy there actually is to the claims of the LS9 being DOHC. The LS engines up to this point have been pretty modular thus far, moreso in many regards than Ford's "Modular" v8s, and I feel that an engine of this calibur would throw away that modular engineering idealogy.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sp57supra
There is much talk and rumor about a new toyota supra for 07, it will have a v8 as the top of the line model. Rumor is that it will have a 5.0 liter v8 with 450hp and 383bft. Hell the base model will have a 350hp and 275bft doch 3.5 liter v6. The v8 supra should be able to give the regular c6 vette a run with only 5.0 liters. Oh and its rumored to weigh in at 3080lbs.
Man, that's a lot of "rumored tos" . Until it comes out and kicks C6 *** (for TWICE THE $$ OR MORE ), that's all they'll be is rumors. I wonder what all of you Poopra s are gonna do when there is NO BOOST involved, and you can't just "do the fish tank mod and run 10s" (if you could even afford the "Nippon God" to begin with)! As for me, I'd take a new ZO6 anyday,anyway (for less $$) over any TOYota!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Always look on the bright side. If GM goes D/OHC, then cams will be that much easier to change.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by technical
Always look on the bright side. If GM goes D/OHC, then cams will be that much easier to change.

True but twice the cost then of parts

Quick Reply: LS9 DOHC / LS8 / And end of life for LS7