Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snapps
True but twice the cost then of parts
probably four time mate (four cams in a V8 DOHC)!!!! hehe

Chris.

PS be much easier to "swing" the cams to give the best performance though!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone keeps talking about DOHS heads flowing more and being better, but are they?

Look at the ford DOHC heads they flow ALOT less than a stock ls1 head
its embarassing
its OHV engines are done right they will make just as much power
Old 05-24-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69firebird
everyone keeps talking about DOHS heads flowing more and being better, but are they?

Look at the ford DOHC heads they flow ALOT less than a stock ls1 head
its embarassing
its OHV engines are done right they will make just as much power
maybe you should look at a 16valve ford V8 and a 32valve V8 and see shich flows better! that would be a better test than a ford (not very good from what i hear) and LSx (very good) test!

Chris.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

agreed,
however i still stand by what im saying, GM has the current 2 valve heads flowing so well, why invest in a DOHC setup. itll cost more, have so much R&D involved, and new training for the techs in the field.

plus, the Fbody engie bay couldnt accomidate a DOHC head. theyd have to re engineer the engine bay of most of their cars to accomidate this new technology
ed
Old 05-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Banned

Blue Devil Is Still In The Works....... Lingenfelter Was Doing The R&d Along With Gm..... Time Will Tell
Old 05-26-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by js3324
Oh god please no. The last thing we need is princess bitch women driving around on their cell phones in 500 horsepower escalades and their guido husbands with road rage having this power.

It would be swee to own but this doesnt bold well for smaller cars out there lol because the situation here in NJ and NY is bad enough. They are too concerned with their phones and their 22's/spinners

HEY I TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT GUIDO COMMENT!!!!

My nickname in high school was "You Guido Bastard"!!!

Don't call a person with a 500 hp factory Escalade a Guido OR a WOP!

Not because it is an insult, it is just inaccurate stereotyping. I don't care about comments like that but Italians that qualify for those nicknames don't have a tenth of the cash to afford a vehicle that expensive.

(my nickname isn't Guido anymore)
Old 05-26-2006, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
HEY I TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT GUIDO COMMENT!!!!

My nickname in high school was "You Guido Bastard"!!!

Don't call a person with a 500 hp factory Escalade a Guido OR a WOP!

Not because it is an insult, it is just inaccurate stereotyping. I don't care about comments like that but Italians that qualify for those nicknames don't have a tenth of the cash to afford a vehicle that expensive.

(my nickname isn't Guido anymore)
i agree with you. any form of racial disrimination of any kind should have no place on a forum like this! thsi forum is about the LSx engines and the cars that uses them/what people put them in!

i find alot of people on here to shallow or narrow minded to see anything further than their own noes! look outside the box and you might find somehting one culture or contry has that you wish you had!

im sorry to go on but there is alot of this **** overhere to and its really starting to get to me! so im starting to stand up and make my feelings know!

sorry to go off topic but this had to be said!

thanks Chris.

PS anyone got any dates when this engine might be launched or what its going to be going in????? insiders????
Old 05-26-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I hear the LS7 is not going to be offered in 2008 because of the new federal emmisions standards that it will not pass...rumor is that the Z06 will get the 6 liter engine with a supercharger...that will put it at the same horse power level as the current LS7 (525 at the crank on average) maybe a little more..it will be easier to pass emmisions with a smaller engine running a milder cam with a SC than the 7 liter..and maintain the perfromance level of the car..sounds like a inexpensive fix..maybe then they will get away from the hand built engine bottle neck which has limited production of the car..they can sell as many as they can build..
Old 05-26-2006, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuntington101
i agree with you. any form of racial disrimination of any kind should have no place on a forum like this! thsi forum is about the LSx engines and the cars that uses them/what people put them in!

i find alot of people on here to shallow or narrow minded to see anything further than their own noes! look outside the box and you might find somehting one culture or contry has that you wish you had!

im sorry to go on but there is alot of this **** overhere to and its really starting to get to me! so im starting to stand up and make my feelings know!

sorry to go off topic but this had to be said!

thanks Chris.

PS anyone got any dates when this engine might be launched or what its going to be going in????? insiders????
are you being serious? If so take the P.C. bullshit somewhere else.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OmniRex
are you being serious? If so take the P.C. bullshit somewhere else.
enough saidd i think! lol

Chris.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

wonder if GM will ever go the turbo route with the LSx engines???

it semas alot of manufactures that are stuck in NA or superchagring, ie bmw ad merc, are going down the turbo route.

just a thought Chris.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
probably four time mate (four cams in a V8 DOHC)!!!! hehe

Chris.

PS be much easier to "swing" the cams to give the best performance though!!!
eeeek lets just drain my wallet

Thanks for the heads up chris.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Banned

wooo haaaa!!!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 03:31 AM
TECH Addict

Snapps, no worries man. i dout that the price for new cams would be four time what someone pays a A cam now, but it WOULD be more! as said beofre though, on of the inherent advantages of DOHC where tuning is conceren is that it lets you 'swing' the cam timing! now on a FI einge this means you can dial down the overlap to help cylinder filling. and on a NA set up you can open out the overlap to get better cylinder filling!

now you might think that swing the exhaust or inlet cam a coupke of degrees would make that much of a dif but it does! lol

i just really want to see a mock up or a prototype of one of these things.

thanks Chris.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

Hmmm what would 4 cam's cost -vs- 1 cam

Uh how about looking at replacement cam's for the DOHC 4.6 Ford Cobra

Summit show's the quad cam kits to be around $1200 -vs- a single cam for a GenIII/IV motor which is around $400.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by old and good
yes i agree let take this discusion to a other place. i was only meaning that if the ls1 had 24 valves a stock 350hp to wheels culd be a reality
If an LS1 had 24 valves, it would be larger and heavier. To make it fit in the engine bay, they would have to take down the displacement. Then it wouldn't make 350hp to the wheels.

Now, look at the LS2. They upped the displacement without changing the external dimensions. The result was 350 to the wheels. OHV allows you to run more cubes in the same sized engine.

It is the superior design when you look at the whole picture. OHC impresses newbies with flow #'s and theoretical HP limits. But when you take into account the added size and weight, it's a different story.

Old and Good, you should read this thread. It's a real eye opener.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:54 AM
TECH Addict

ohv is great where you can get the CC, or where big torque is not a problem. but where thoes things are not suitable then a higher reving DOHC engine would work much better!

as for the LS getting multivavles, i dont think size would go up that much! the heads would get wider to aomadate the extra rocker, but you could still use a cam in block design.

what i would like to see is a 32 vavle LS2 with a similar design (but more valves) head to the Mopar! would give you the best of both worlds IMO.

Chris.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

just a quick thought i had, could gm use oval valves?????

they would get the skirt area upto nearly that of a 4 valve setup but would need no more valvetrain 'space'!?!?!?!?!?

thanks Chris
Old 07-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Teching In

The LT5 was a better motor then the LT1 by far, i have an LT1 and they do not have nearly the power of an LT5. Yes they are the same displacement and the compression is only .5 higher on the LT5. But ur talking 285 hp compared to 400 in later model LT5s. And the torque, 385 lbs and 400 hp. The LT5 dominates the LT1, the only thing that stands in the LT5s way is the LS6. But even so the LS6 never had anywhere near 385 lbs of torque, so now we have an engine that is the same displacement that has more bottom end and the same top end as an LS6. Also the LT5s powerband goes to 7k rpms, and hp is flat from 5 to 7. So you are NEVER out of your 400 hp powerband. As soon as u shift ur still making the same power grandted u fall to 5k rpms. An LS6 would get beat by a ZR1. There was a magazine that test drove both on the track and the Zo6 only won by .3 in the quarter, and thats cause the ZR1 car was crappy and couldent hook in comparision to the new vett, they even said an LT5 would have been better then the LS6 in that car.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93LT1
The LT5 was a better motor then the LT1 by far
Comparing limited production engines? Try the LS7. Oh, but you want to up the displacement on the LT5 to compete?

What's that? You can't?

Yeah, that's why OHV wins. You can run more displacement.

Quick Reply: LS9 DOHC / LS8 / And end of life for LS7