TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More info on the LS9! DOHC or not?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
More info on the LS9! DOHC or not?
doch when did that hapen? gm hasn't build a dohc v8 since the lt5 i think, and that dint go over to well. I did hear though that the supercharge engine was going to have the camphaser thing
Old 02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

I'd love to see them try and fit a dohc motor in a vette, not going to happen, especially with a blower in there.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stik6shift93
I'd love to see them try and fit a dohc motor in a vette, not going to happen, especially with a blower in there.
damn...didn't even think about this as i was reading. that will be tough. hope to see some hard facts pretty soon though
Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8100hammer
Pick up the march Issue of GM High tech performance.

ls9 HO SC IC = 650 vette ss($100,000 est)
ls8 SC IC = 500 Escalade
ls? non-IC = ??hp Escalade
Oh god please no. The last thing we need is princess bitch women driving around on their cell phones in 500 horsepower escalades and their guido husbands with road rage having this power.

It would be swee to own but this doesnt bold well for smaller cars out there lol because the situation here in NJ and NY is bad enough. They are too concerned with their phones and their 22's/spinners
Old 02-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by js3324
Oh god please no. The last thing we need is princess bitch women driving around on their cell phones in 500 horsepower escalades and their guido husbands with road rage having this power.

It would be swee to own but this doesnt bold well for smaller cars out there lol because the situation here in NJ and NY is bad enough. They are too concerned with their phones and their 22's/spinners
LOL!!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The best part of the LS series engines is their small size, low weight, less moving parts, ease of production, and low production cost..GM might build a low volumn specialty motor for the much speculated blue devil (a $100K+ car) but I doubt that the very successful LS series motors are going to be replaced...they my continue to refine it but the LS series engine isn't going to be replaced with a DOHC engine.. especially considering GM's current financial situation..
Old 02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
The best part of the LS series engines is their small size, low weight, less moving parts, ease of production, and low production cost..GM might build a low volumn specialty motor for the much speculated blue devil (a $100K+ car) but I doubt that the very successful LS series motors are going to be replaced...they my continue to refine it but the LS series engine isn't going to be replaced with a DOHC engine.. especially considering GM's current financial situation..
x4

All of those advantages are from being cam-in-block. I hate the crowd that thinks an OHC engine is necessarily "more advanced" almost as much as I enjoy blowing their doors off with my "primitive" LS1. It would be a HUGE mistake to go DOHC; an act of caving in to popular belief, rather than sticking to the FACTS.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by black_knight
x4

All of those advantages are from being cam-in-block. I hate the crowd that thinks an OHC engine is necessarily "more advanced" almost as much as I enjoy blowing their doors off with my "primitive" LS1. It would be a HUGE mistake to go DOHC; an act of caving in to popular belief, rather than sticking to the FACTS.

The C5R and the C6R Corvettes have been showing all the fancey euro DOHC 4 valve per cylinder iron their taillights for the last 6 years in the American Le Mans Series..I love going the ALMS races..when the C6R's go by it sounds like they are going to eat the world..when the euro trash goes by it sounds like someone is using a weed eater on my yard... .. The DOHC configuration is heavier and physically larger and will not fit in the engine compartment of the Corvette...nothing wrong with the compact American cam in block push rod technology...it sure wins a lot of races..wait till June and see who wins the 24 Hours of LeMans again..ooops I forgot no need to wait that long next month is Sebring...go USA go Corvette racing!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

As a former owner of a 1997 Cobra, working on it was the biggest bitch in the world! Good luck with LT installations on DOHC's... *cough drop K member cough* I had a KB on my old Cobra, but that blower was showing IAT of 230 degrees+. It was non-intercooled though.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:57 AM
TECH Resident

am i the only one disapointed that gm made the LS9 a DOHC, i mean DOHC is awsome. but I think chevy should have done OHV stick w/ tradition. LSX should = OHV not DOHC. just my opinion. when i first read that ls9 was gonna be a DOHC i was dissapointed. I was hoping OHV SC and 650hp.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:54 AM
11 Second Club

Default Can you eat Chinese every night?

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
am i the only one disapointed that gm made the LS9 a DOHC, i mean DOHC is awsome. but I think chevy should have done OHV stick w/ tradition. LSX should = OHV not DOHC. just my opinion. when i first read that ls9 was gonna be a DOHC i was dissapointed. I was hoping OHV SC and 650hp.

Maybe they are just trying something new. Yes we've all grown fond of the OHV, but maybe they wanna test the waters and try the LSX Engines with a DOHC setup and see what kind of numbers they can punch outta them. SC'ed with 650HP doesnt sound bad, and we all know GM underates the power, so who knows it could be a 700HP beast.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
"Tradition" pales in comparision to the facts that OHV is cheaper (and therefore can make more power), lighter, more compact, etc etc.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah the first thing I thought of when I heard DOHC all I could think of was the LT5 a great motor but it wasn't too much better than the LT1 an it cost sooooooo much more it was stupid. The acceleration on thos things was barely better but yes it did have long legs on the top end.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cars are getting stupid fast.

I'm at a loss for words that looks out of this earth.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Isnt the supercharged vette motor called the BLUE DEVIL? Welcome to 3 months ago! OHV from what i have heard! also if not mistaken i believe the first IC engine was OHC the push rod engine came shortly after, so we actually are high Tech(ls1 and other push rod engines) In theory ofcourse
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H8Mac
Isnt the supercharged vette motor called the BLUE DEVIL? Welcome to 3 months ago! OHV from what i have heard! also if not mistaken i believe the first IC engine was OHC the push rod engine came shortly after, so we actually are high Tech(ls1 and other push rod engines) In theory ofcourse
no no the LSx engine are high tech! but the tech involved in new DOHC engines like the Honda K20 (i think) and the ford Duratec (quoted as have a head that an F1 enginer would be proud of!!!!) is amazing! also DOHC offers more areas for development and easier running for things like veriable vavle timing and thing like the BMW system that uses the vavles as throtles.

Chris.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by black_knight
"Tradition" pales in comparision to the facts that OHV is cheaper (and therefore can make more power), lighter, more compact, etc etc.
Look enough with all this BS, PROVE that OHV is cheaper. And remember 99%+ of the worlds production engines are OHC, all of the 4 cylinder ones, nearly all the V6s, all the V12 and most of the V8's.

If OHV is SO much BETTER in every respect why do they do it? BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Toyota, Ferrari, Porsche, TVR.

Come on show me some REAL cost figures per unit for each type of engine. If you can't put up, shut up!

As for OHV out performing, remember this is only due to capcity NOT efficency. Show me ONE single production OHV V8 that is producing 90-100bhp/litre STOCK n/a, come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't know what the benefits of 4 valves per cylinder are read this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/437433-benefits-32-valve-heads.html
Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter
Yeah the first thing I thought of when I heard DOHC all I could think of was the LT5 a great motor but it wasn't too much better than the LT1 an it cost sooooooo much more it was stupid. The acceleration on thos things was barely better but yes it did have long legs on the top end.
Yeah because every LT1 Vette was a 12 second car @ 110mph like the ZR1
Old 02-23-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Yeah because every LT1 Vette was a 12 second car @ 110mph like the ZR1
You know it is a good thing we have 300bhp/ton to save us from out non-wrenching, non-tech, knuckle dragging, OHV selves... Do you ever not complain or have some cynical critique of every GD thread on this forum... Just another Fing know it all who has no first hand experience with anything you comment on, just always quoting other sources from here or there... Want to impress us??? Build a street/strip car and bust some 10s. Break some parts, fly-cut your pistons, change a ring & pinion DO something yourself, stop quoting crap...

You think I am the only one who has noticed this…

Now for your witty English come back...

Quick Reply: LS9 DOHC / LS8 / And end of life for LS7