Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Introducing Katech's new crate engine packages

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave F
I used to be a big fan of Katech (built my past 3 WC engines), but they don't seem to want the business of the little guys anymore. The doubled the prices on my last engine build, and were over a month late in getting it to me.

Obviously a reputable company IF you've got unlimited TIME and MONEY!
6 weeks ago i finished a warhawk 454 build up, with sheet metal intake, dry sump, etc,etc. It was 19k in parts the result was 718 hp and 622 tq, after the new sae norm(hydraulic roller). Got 640 hp at the wheels. The parts has become expensive, and i dont know your case but there probablt is a reason to the pricejump. If not get a new engine builder, there is enough of them.
Good luck racing, nice to see another track racer, we are not so many here.
DoC
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96-speed
What exactly does "balanced and blueprinted" mean? I've heard this term for years and years, and never really thought twice about it. Balancing a rotating assembly, sure, makes sense. Blue printed? Please explain what these two terms mean to a Katech customer.

Wondering why it cost a couple grand for a seemingly stock motor...

Ryan
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Katech
Rods were a little delayed. We just got them. We are going to finalize some details and start assembling.
Waiting for the budget 427 ,with the good parts
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blktie8
Waiting for the budget 427 ,with the good parts
Add me to the list.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

warhawk-block+heads, bigcam, longblock possible? very interested, if the price is right.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

KAT-A4715 Crate Engine - Katech 427 C5-R 7.0L
The most radical Gen 3 crate engine yet. Includes a genuine C5-R case, forged crankshaft, Katech forged piston-rod assembly, Katech CNC-ported LS6 cylinder heads featuring 2.1” inlet valves, and CNC-ported throttle body.
Starting around $24,000

KAT-A4720 Crate Engine - Warhawk 7.4L
The biggest displacement crate engine offered by Katech Performance. Package includes a Warhawk 7.4L (454ci) block, Warhawk LS7X heads outfitted with LS7 valvetrain, forged crankshaft, and Katech forged piston-rod assembly.
Pricing and power levels pending Warhawk availability and testing

as far as the warhawk goes, are we talking like $26,000+
Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duke of cruel
6 weeks ago i finished a warhawk 454 build up, with sheet metal intake, dry sump, etc,etc. It was 19k in parts the result was 718 hp and 622 tq, after the new sae norm(hydraulic roller). Got 640 hp at the wheels. The parts has become expensive, and i dont know your case but there probablt is a reason to the pricejump. If not get a new engine builder, there is enough of them.
DoC
How did you get your hands on this stuff? I thought that none of it would be available until august at least?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Regular

any recent news?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Collections Removal

Duke
Originally Posted by duke of cruel
DoC

From Stang's Bane:

How did you get your hands on this stuff? I thought that none of it would be available until august at least?

Please explain how you completed a Warhawk build when we have not released a single part, as of today. You posted that on 7-08, and I missed it.

Stang's Bane rightly questions your comment.

Now if you're planning such a build with Katech, fine - but that's not what you said. How did you make 718 HP with our parts? Please clarify whose parts you are using in this build.

We're trying hard to get our parts out after a long delay and stop the spread of bogus information.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Correction: 12 THOUSAND bucks for a stock rebuild . Please...this isn't an attempt to make a cheap shot. Why would anyone spend 12 grand for a stock rebuild with Katech, when other sponsors are doing way more for way less? More power under the curve? How?

I'm not the only one thinking that this is...well...I'm not ogin to say anything until you explain. Its only fair .

To me, it just sounds like a surcharge to have a Katech sticker put on the car. Please, prove me wrong.

Without further comment.
Ryan
Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 AM

Smile

Correction: 12 THOUSAND bucks for a stock rebuild . Please...this isn't an attempt to make a cheap shot. Why would anyone spend 12 grand for a stock rebuild with Katech, when other sponsors are doing way more for way less? More power under the curve? How? (Shoot, there's a ton of ways someone can go and a million little details that all add up to a desired outcome in engine build ups.)
Without further comment.
Ryan
It's like alot of things. Even though there may be alot of people that build what they call "race engines", there's very few of them that actually know what they're doing.

There's also been quite a few former sponsors that have built up some guys wet dream in cubic inches only to screw him over or for him to drop valves and rods with little time on the engine. He then either never sees his money or gets run around excuses and unanswered emails with money already spent that he'll never see again. I think it's impressive to have a company like Katech even sponsoring a forum board.

That's the difference in dealing with a high caliber builder like Katech and some burger stand shade tree build-upper who claims the he's an "expert". It's always been that way in racing. Engines aren't cheap.

I mean this in a friendly manner too.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no doubt you can buy cheaper, but i think you would have some comeback if things went wrong with a extreamaly well known engine builder!

and technically you could say you have a race engine!!!

Chris.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Correction: 12 THOUSAND bucks for a stock rebuild . Please...this isn't an attempt to make a cheap shot. Why would anyone spend 12 grand for a stock rebuild with Katech, when other sponsors are doing way more for way less? More power under the curve? How?

I'm not the only one thinking that this is...well...I'm not ogin to say anything until you explain. Its only fair .

To me, it just sounds like a surcharge to have a Katech sticker put on the car. Please, prove me wrong.

Without further comment.
Ryan

First let me say that this is not a stock rebuild. This is a special circumstance. I'm not suggesting this package to anybody on this website really because I know it's not what you guys are looking for. Hopefully a different engine in our lineup would better suit you folks. Yes I have had a customer buy this engine package from us and he is very happy with it. So much that he is buying a second (different) engine from us.

There is no Katech surcharge. We charge competitive labor rates for engine assembly and dyno. The only difference is we take more time because we build to more exacting specifications and that is why we are known for our durability. Also, our street engines are built by the same engine builders that build for ALMS, World Challenge, and Grand Am. Our engine builders have a minimum of 8 years of race engine building experience. Most have 20 plus.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Collections Removal

Jason,
I've no intention to hi-jack your thread, but I'd really like to know DoC built such a powerful and costly Warhawk with NO parts. Any ideas how to get the real answer, whether mistake or mischief?
Doesn't look like he cares to set the record straight.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MerlinPro
Jason,
I've no intention to hi-jack your thread, but I'd really like to know DoC built such a powerful and costly Warhawk with NO parts. Any ideas how to get the real answer, whether mistake or mischief?
maybe he's just a dreamer..
Old 07-17-2006, 07:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MerlinPro
Jason,
I'd like to know too. I'm guessing that was a joke.

August is around the corner. How about an update to the Warhawk thread?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Collections Removal

There have been positive developments within the timeframe we stated, but we don't want to be premature again. We learned that lesson.
Will know more in a week or so and decide if/what to post at that time.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Merlin Pro I am worried about the quality of machining tollerances in this new Warhak block
Unfortunatly World products is not known for the best tollerances
I want to build a twin turbo setup to pump out around 1300 + hp
I have a few friends that own reputable machine shops and build very high HP engines and they warn me to use dart instead

And I have a set of merlin BB Chev heads as well
they took 6 months to deliver, and I cant say as I am really happy with the quality
They Had RAZOR sharp edges that cut our hands eveerywhere
The small amount of deburring that was done was done by an idiot that ran the bit across the deck surface from a water passage to the edge

the guide plates were not what was specified in the ad they have made in Canada stamped all over them

feel free to PM me and ashure me I want to buy from world again
Old 07-19-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Katech, are there any planes to use the wet liners when they boecome avaliable?? how much more would that block be??? also what would a FI 427 longblock set someone back using your budget shortblock???

thanks Chris.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Collections Removal

MadSpeed,

Since you've aired your concerns in a very public manner, the members here need to see the other side of the story. There will be no PM.

If your friends have urged you to turn to Dart for LS blocks, you're not completely informed. Dart offers no cast block in this case. We build a $4000 cast block which will be capable of the power levels you intend. Your alternatives are C5R (not up to this power level) or billet at 2.5 times our cost.

All our machining is done to QS 9000 spec and we have a mechanism to handle damaged or mis-machined parts called Return Material Authorization.
If the procedure is followed, we will repair or replace defects at our discretion.
The information was in the box.

You only needed to follow that procedure when you opened your box of heads, instead of consulting other experts.

Your head guide plates are stamped "Made in Canada" because that's where our supplier makes them. GM is that supplier.

I'm not sure what block tolerances you're concerned with, but if you carefully inspect and measure before you start a 1300 HP build, (a prudent procedure), and should you find a defect, follow the above instruction, we will gladly address the issue. All reputable mfgs. have these problems and these solutions. We are all subject to foundry delays and machining issues as well.

We are really busting our asses to bring exciting new product to the marketplace and improve the QC of our whole line. We want very much to please customers who have problems, and don't take the responsibility lightly.

If you had just called us first, you would have had a satisfactory answer to your Merlin concerns, and been less prone to worry out loud here about Warhawk.

The rest of the forum deserves to know that.

Quick Reply: Introducing Katech's new crate engine packages