Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7/LS2 Intake Manifold Porting and Tuning Results Inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7/LS2 Intake Manifold Porting and Tuning Results Inside

Hello All, We have been tuning the LS7s and LS2s and porting the intakes to optimize the cars. I have been porting the LS2 manifolds for quite some time now and seeing about 11RWHP and 13RWTQ gains over the span of 70+ manifolds. We have done about a dozen 06 Z06s and seens excellent gains from opening up these sloppy ports. We are seeing about 17RWHP and about 18RWTQ from the LS7 manifolds average with a low of 10RWHP and a high of 30RWHP. I know what works from testing on the dyno before and after real world results that you can feel and see. I have had intakes shipped to me from all over the country and just wanted you guys to know that I can also offer Thorough tuning to optimize the car. I have a Very aggressive yet safe tune that will pick up a substancial amount of power and work to optimize the timing and fuel for the manifold. I have tuned over 650 LSX vehicles. Typical tuning is $375 and Intake manifold porting is $300. I can tune ECM and port the manifold for $600 total, mail order only. (If I have to pull the manifold and clean, its obviously more work and would be the typical price.)

The manifold is one of if not the most resctrictive bottleneck on these vehicles. It is some of the best money you will spend on the vehicle, especially when coupled with a tune.

We have done some testing of a Bolton C6 with a ported LS2 intake vs a ported LSx intake. The car went from 389 RWHP to 395RWHP and 385 RWTQ to 392RWQ. Now a car quipped with a LS2 manifold vs a LSx should take just one moment to think which is the better buy. LS2 manifold ported about $300. vs a FAST 90mm $875 plus modification to fit on a vette about $100-200. and porting about $200 just to gain an additional 7RWHP and 7RWTQ er so?

Typically the LS7s are in the neighborhood of about 480RWHP (w/ or w/o headers, high of 500RWHP and 470RWTQ) after the tune and porting and the LS2s are in the 375RWHPish area with headers (High of 393RWHP and 390RWTQ).

I Offer the most thorough tune that you can buy from mail order. Give me a call if you would like to discuss anything with me.
Thank you all and God Bless
Jeremy Formato

813-476-7364
Shipping address:
4717 W Tambay ave
33611 Tampa, FL
Old 09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, I can buy a ported LS2 mani for around $300?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The cost of the porting is $300 which typically the manifold on the vehicle is the one being ported. If you are intrested in a core exchange program, there would be a core charge until your stock manifold is recieved.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

not to kill the fame here, but i paid $895 for a ported fast 90 shipped to my house, new and yes it had dyno proven results as well.

i dont understand why there is such a large cost involved with porting these plastic intakes, from what i could see when i received mine there isnt that much material taken out and is most likely trimmed with a dremel tool.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown04Z06
i dont understand why there is such a large cost involved with porting these plastic intakes, from what i could see when i received mine there isnt that much material taken out and is most likely trimmed with a dremel tool.
Ha! Roll the video......
Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to kill the fame here, but i paid $895 for a ported fast 90 shipped to my house, new and yes it had dyno proven results as well.

i guess you should try to do it yourself on that 900 dollar intake. lets see the results

give me a set of 10K dollar bare casting C5R heads and a dremel. i will hook you up!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

I port matched my FAST 90 to my new heads. I also ported and polished the LS2 throttlebody which is a must if you have one.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

The 300 dollar intake is a good deal for 90% of the folks out there. What someone on the forum stated that everyone will buy a 750 to 1000 dollar catback exhaust system for that miniunm gain of 5 to 7 rwhp but know one will spend it on that Fast intake that proves itself everytime. The ported intake for three hundred is a great deal and I have a fast sitting in the floor from another application and I'm still in a debate as to which one I should do.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

I'm curious to see how these fair against the 96mm Professional Products Intake and throttle body when they are released. They will cost roughly $600 for both.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I'm curious to see how these fair against the 96mm Professional Products Intake and throttle body when they are released. They will cost roughly $600 for both.
There is always someone out there building a better mouse trap. Hey if you look at the LS2 90mm throttlebody, they mount on an upward angle, so that the air bridge duct clears the top of the radiator. If you look at it square in the face though, you will see that the butterfly valve is partially shrouded by the top and bottom of the mouth. Might as well stick your hand over the end of it and block flow. I ported the hell out of the upper and lower mouth. It's like driving a totally different car. I swear it was more restrictive than my stock throttlebody. That Professional Products unit sounds interesting. I'll try to get a look at it soon. 96mm should flow 1200cfm easily.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Where can we see the Professional Product Intake?
Bob
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.professional-products.com...oldsLS1LS2.php
Old 09-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Banned

I will answer some of these question's for my buddy Jeremy as he dosen't get on here as often as some.
First 895 is a hell of a deal for a ported Fast 90 since most places sell the manifolds for 850+ plus shipping without porting.
Next is who ported the manifold? Part of the price is due to the fact that the porter knows what works, and can port the manifold better then 99% of the people out there dur to experience, and real life results on the dyno.
(That in itself is priceless.)
Sure maybe it only takes him 1 or 2 hours to port the manifold, and clean it, but the countless hours finding the best results don't come free.
Very similar to porting heads. I am sure I could port a set of heads by hand in a day with some tools and a lot of work, but I would much rather pay TEA/TSP etc 500-600 bucks to do it right.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003
I port matched my FAST 90 to my new heads. I also ported and polished the LS2 throttlebody which is a must if you have one.

I agree there is some work to be done on the TB.
Port matching can defentially help but there is some more power in the manifold.
Glad to se a big gain, did you get any before and after dyno numbers?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MAC4264
The 300 dollar intake is a good deal for 90% of the folks out there. What someone on the forum stated that everyone will buy a 750 to 1000 dollar catback exhaust system for that miniunm gain of 5 to 7 rwhp but know one will spend it on that Fast intake that proves itself everytime. The ported intake for three hundred is a great deal and I have a fast sitting in the floor from another application and I'm still in a debate as to which one I should do.

Your damn right.
Or the best is the guy who will spend 2500 plus labor/pushrods/gaskets/etc for a set of heads but thinks the LS6/stock ported TB is fine.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snketr
So, I can buy a ported LS2 mani for around $300?

Normally you can find one of these for 125-150 if you look around.
So you would only have 450 in a ported LS2 manifold which should compete very well with a NON ported LSX manifold that costs 850+ from most places.

A very good deal.
If your looking for every last HP then the ported Fast is the way to go. But for 80-90% of the guys on here the ported LS2 manifold is perfect and much cheeper then the LSx.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
I will answer some of these question's for my buddy Jeremy as he dosen't get on here as often as some.
First 895 is a hell of a deal for a ported Fast 90 since most places sell the manifolds for 850+ plus shipping without porting.
Next is who ported the manifold? Part of the price is due to the fact that the porter knows what works, and can port the manifold better then 99% of the people out there dur to experience, and real life results on the dyno.
(That in itself is priceless.)
Sure maybe it only takes him 1 or 2 hours to port the manifold, and clean it, but the countless hours finding the best results don't come free.
Very similar to porting heads. I am sure I could port a set of heads by hand in a day with some tools and a lot of work, but I would much rather pay TEA/TSP etc 500-600 bucks to do it right.

i came off sounding a little harsh about the cost to port these manifolds. $300-$500 seems to be the going price because that is what the consumer is paying.... im a bargin hunter what can i say, i have had 9 months to review everything i wanted to do to my car, i looked at all of the great results and i looked at what people said were bad results or failures in their cars, talked to dozens of people about different setups, heads, cam, intake, exhaust and the combination of putting all of the right parts together.

Dave from Dave's Total Performance ported the manifold. he has back to back dyno tests on this site the thread is ported LS2 vs non ported fast they are so damn close that its not worth the cost of going to a non ported fast 90. he sells LS2's for $450 ported and shipped after seeing this i called dave to see what the difference was in HIS ported fast vs non ported fast ON a 402/403 which is what i have. they ran this on a customers 408 with a 12 bolt, 4:10's, a4 and it made 534/491 SAE. the torque came on strong at 400wtq @ 3500 rpms, 400whp at 4300 rpms, and just tons of power that climbs from there, that is what i was looking for. 23X/24X 112 cam.

ported fast 90 vs non ported, im going off of rough memory since this was a month ago, 22 hp and 30 ftlbs and it wasn't just peak it raised power under the curve up and over the entire RPM band, that was impressive enough for me to sell the LS6 intake and Ported LPE TB. Before i found Dave's post, 90/90 wasnt an affordable option for me, it became one when i was quoted $895 ported/shipped to my door. LS6 was gone in 2 days. Fread Beans sells the LS2 tb for $280 shipped so i jumped on that buy as well. Porting the TB $125.00. So for $200 less than Tony Mamo's Fast 90 with port work, i had a complete ported intake/tb set up. Not to knock Tony, pay his prices and get his results, which are excellent, i cant afford him. JeremyF and Tony you should get a shirt made that says "You cant afford me". Cause i can't lol.

another one of Dave' clients has a LS2 403's picked up 40whp and 50wtq from his ported fast 90 alone. that post is on this site from the buyer. I quote, i unbolted the LS6 took it off and put the DTP ported fast 90 on and that was it.

so once again not to steal the glory in someone else thread, but i do understand it takes time when designing a port that works. Anyone that R&D's should get paid for it. Dave did say it takes him about 2 hours to do it. i can say this, I paid them, they ordered the fast 90 from comp same day, it was dropped of UPS 2 days later to them to port, they ported it the same day, shipped it back out and at my door UPS 3 days later frm ohio and im in Texas. I guess he just knows how to do them quick and doesnt see it as being a task which converts into charging the crap out of people or what i like to call an inconvenience fee.

And I agree with the LS2 tb design, GM's engineer on that one must not have been at the top of his graduating class. that thing had so much extra material in the front AND rear, you my as well just weld it up and call it a day. airflow has to be disrupted pretty bad with those tb's. port work will be done by mark shanner he lives 10mins from me, im picking it up tomorrow. www.s2performance.net if you want to check out his work $125 cause im local and could drop it off.

so any any case having people like dave and mark in this business makes dreams for people like myself that want to have the best but dont want to starve their family in the process to make a dream come thru.

Last edited by Blown04Z06; 09-27-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Is the LS7 manifold taken apart to port?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 427 LS1
Is the LS7 manifold taken apart to port?

Not normally.
It would be hella expensive to do that since it would take some time to get all the glue off and put it back together once finished.
the fast 90 is taken apart however.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
I agree there is some work to be done on the TB.
Port matching can defentially help but there is some more power in the manifold.
Glad to se a big gain, did you get any before and after dyno numbers?
No, I had a slipping clutch around 5000rpm with the new heads and FAST 90 and LS2 throttlebody. Filled the shop with smoke, but still managed over 440rwhp @ 5000rpm . My tuner said that in itself was something to be proud of. Installed a new SPEC Stage 3+ and getting it dynoed Sunday 10/1/06. Finally I will know where I am with these latest mods.

Quick Reply: LS7/LS2 Intake Manifold Porting and Tuning Results Inside