Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

DIFFRENCES BETWEEN WARHAWK BLOCK(biggest one) AND THE LSx BY GM PERFROMANCE PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinPro
We are going with 4.000 on the 9.24 and 4.250 and 4.500 on the 9.8.
Anyone ever find out for sure max stroke on the short deck LSX?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 383ss
since they are only recommending a 4" stroke, 427 is the max recommended.
That sucks. Whats the use than? Just use an LS7 block. A 4" stroke is cheezy. You would have thought they would have used a nice long sleeve that can safely and reliably support at least a 4.125 stroke. Unless they're just saying that to totally cover themselves.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quickin
That sucks. Whats the use than? Just use an LS7 block. A 4" stroke is cheezy. You would have thought they would have used a nice long sleeve that can safely and reliably support at least a 4.125 stroke. Unless they're just saying that to totally cover themselves.

I agree. BUT you do get priority main oiling and 6bolt heads, if your worried about either. I would be shocked if a 4.125 wouldn't actually work. you can do that on any stock ls1 block.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree. BUT you do get priority main oiling and 6bolt heads, if your worried about either. I would be shocked if a 4.125 wouldn't actually work. you can do that on any stock ls1 block.
Actually, I don't think it matters anymore, the GM LSX block is a way better choice in every way, shape and form. The extra weight is meaningless IMO. Especially since mine will just be a street car. I can see drag guys wanting the lightest possible weight, but whats the basic rule, 100 lbs = .10 in the quarter.....big deal.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Collections Hold

Default block

I think the overall engineering and design of the Warhawk block is better of the two. not because I have one. Wait and see how they both hold up in extreme boost applications, then make a judgement. I am sorry, but the GM block making 511 inches, yes possible, but not feasable. there is no way that you will keep round bores or seal a head gasket with .100 between the bores. I am still a big fan of iron blocks and surely cannot wait to see what happens when they do run. I think the GM block has a lot to offer with a smaller bore and a high boost application. (like 4.00)
Old 12-20-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thickness between cylinders in the LSX bored out to 4.25" will still be atleast .200 according to the GM people.

Wasn't the warhawk block designed as a cheaper replacement for the C5R block? I mean more in price really with some good upgrades.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Thickness between cylinders in the LSX bored out to 4.25" will still be atleast .200 according to the GM people.

Wasn't the warhawk block designed as a cheaper replacement for the C5R block? I mean more in price really with some good upgrades.
This is what confuses me. How can there be .200 between when the bore spacing is only 4.4. That would seem to me to leave .150????
Old 12-20-2006, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

What is the cost for intake spacers to run tue LS7 intake and custom LG headers for the tall deck?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Actually, I don't think it matters anymore, the GM LSX block is a way better choice in every way, shape and form. The extra weight is meaningless IMO. Especially since mine will just be a street car. I can see drag guys wanting the lightest possible weight, but whats the basic rule, 100 lbs = .10 in the quarter.....big deal.

i don't agree with that at all. I don't think one is clearly better than the other. 127lbs is a LOT of weight, street car or not. far from meaningless. I don't want to hear the typical "you can make up for it with k-member, brakes, etc...' if you've already done that, your stuck.

if your not looking to go bigger than a 454 and want to keep weight off, a warhawk is the best and worth the extra couple $K.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Well from a budget standpoint, the LSX is the better value. It comes down to what you want and how much you want to pay. To me, 125 lbs is not worth $2K. But that's ME, others will be willing to pay it, others will take my route. But, to my original question........ We've talked about the max on the short deck Warhawk, does anyone know the max on the short deck LSX?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Collections Removal

I'll try to make this clear once again.
Months ago I reported here that we put a 4.500 Callies into our 9.24 block and it rotated without hitting anything. The 4.250 was no problem either but we decided to say the 9.8 for both would be our choice. Better angles and pin heights were the priority. We do not have the resources to build and test every possible combination at this time. LS is not all we do.
Our focus is to get these badly delayed parts to market. Our responsibility is to make sure they are the highest quality and accuracy we can build. It is incumbent on those who have extreme or special needs to find their own way with the parts. E/T has done so, for example and made 850 HP, N/A without a sweat.
Katech has posted their Warhawk-based crate packages with the specs they feel best with. Here at World the decision and specs were determined to build shorts with many more parameters than how fricken big we can squeeze 4.400 architecture. We make 4.840 bore-center Merlins with up to 4.750 strokes if you want displacement. The aluminum versions weigh 475lbs. Warhawk will go into roadracing, hot rodding, boating, LSR and sport airplane use, not just street bruiser or 10" tire racing.
The General will have a fine product and if it meets the needs of the masses, the masses will embrace it. People that "get" the extent of what we're trying to accomplish will come our way.
We can't be all things to all people but we're grateful to those who understand our direction.
john-s
Sorry for the above tantrum-the answer to your question is we don't make the spacers at this time because we're planning to make a carb manifold(s) in the future.
I'm sure they do exist or will soon. Try searching HVH, Hogan, Beck, maybe you'll hit it.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

i don't agree with that at all. I don't think one is clearly better than the other. 127lbs is a LOT of weight, street car or not. far from meaningless. I don't want to hear the typical "you can make up for it with k-member, brakes, etc...' if you've already done that, your stuck.

if your not looking to go bigger than a 454 and want to keep weight off, a warhawk is the best and worth the extra couple $K.
$2,000 is not worth it at all to save 127 lbs., drag car or not, (thats like having my sister in the pasengers seat, will never make a difference in a race let alone feel the extra weight) and the LSX is stronger and noone can argue that. I think this whole weight thing is taken way to serious and really just doesn't make enough difference to talk about. I mean jeez, these engines at these upper 400's in cubic inches will have 600+ RWHP. I'd rather make a little more HP with that $2,000 to over come whatever TINY TINY difference that 127 lbs. will cause and have a much stronger, more reliable block.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 280Z28
Warhawk has SBC mounts as well as LSx mounts. And the LSX block by GMPP has a capital X. LSx is used to refer to the LS series of motors as a whole.

OFF SUBJECT:
does this "我很喜欢小玉。" translate to this "I am very happy Happy small jade"?
Thanks
Bill
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

$2,000 is not worth it at all to save 127 lbs., drag car or not, (thats like having my sister in the pasengers seat, will never make a difference in a race let alone feel the extra weight) and the LSX is stronger and noone can argue that. I think this whole weight thing is taken way to serious and really just doesn't make enough difference to talk about. I mean jeez, these engines at these upper 400's in cubic inches will have 600+ RWHP. I'd rather make a little more HP with that $2,000 to over come whatever TINY TINY difference that 127 lbs. will cause and have a much stronger, more reliable block.

For some applications weight isn't that critical...

In road racing, engineers would kill their mother to save 127 lbs. especially off the front end. Not only do you have better power to weight, but you get much better cornering & braking, and longer lasting parts.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
For some applications weight isn't that critical...

In road racing, engineers would kill their mother to save 127 lbs. especially off the front end. Not only do you have better power to weight, but you get much better cornering & braking, and longer lasting parts.
I really don't even know where the 127 lb. figure came from.

Reggie Jacksons 454ci LSX iron blocked engine weighs 80 lb. more than a complete LS7 427 engine in the Z06.

80 lb. is nothing in any application, even road racing, with regards to the strength and reliability benifits it offers over the Warhawk. Its a no-brainer. And a $2,000 difference.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=383ss]basically the warhawk weighs 98lbs and the LSX 225. thats HUGE, IMO.

Here's the block weight info.... 127 lb. difference between the alum. Warhawk vs. GM's steel LSX.

Not sure if it's correct... maybe Merlin will chime in.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

are you kidding me? why do you think people pay 1000 for strange brakes to take 50lbs off the front end?? because it doesn't make a difference?? 127lbs is HUGE on a drag racing car ESPECIALLY on the front end.

I got my weight information from a post by Merlin on the Warhawk block and the 225lb weight of the LSX of its spec sheet.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Collections Removal

227-98 (with caps and sleeves)=127,
Thank you 383.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

are you kidding me? why do you think people pay 1000 for strange brakes to take 50lbs off the front end?? because it doesn't make a difference?? 127lbs is HUGE on a drag racing car ESPECIALLY on the front end.

I got my weight information from a post by Merlin on the Warhawk block and the 225lb weight of the LSX of its spec sheet.
Who cares what the blocks weigh, its the complete engine that matters, and 80 pounds difference ain't much.....FOR WHAT YOU GET IN RETURN and the $2,000 savings which can buy alot of other nice mods.

Key words here: FOR WHAT YOU GET.

And lets not do what most people on this forum do, take everything to an extreme when you and everyone else knows we're talking about all of the regular street car guys and street/strip weekend worriors. Road race guys and serious drag car guys, who cares about them, they go ahead and spend the extra money on whatever they need.

So you're whole disagreement is meaningless, we're talking 99.99% regular every day daily driving, street-strip cars, not competition racers trying to squueze every drop out of their trailored, purpose built all out race cars.

My god, belaboring points is always a chore here

And if anyone is gonna tell me 80 pounds, or even 127 pounds, in a street car or a street-strip car is gonna make or break someones life, they're full-O-****.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting thread. The difference I noticed was the Merlin has the LS1 cam sensor location, that was cool. I kind of like the LSx extra head bolts better, but both blocks will sell for sure.
The LSx block at 4.25 bore would be tough to keep a head gasket in, Cary's .100 wide gasket is probably very close to reality on a 4.25 bore 4.4 bore center block. It would be trouble on boosted for sure and probably give you fits na also. I could see Cary trying to fit a 2.350- 2.400 intake valve though!!

Kurt

Quick Reply: DIFFRENCES BETWEEN WARHAWK BLOCK(biggest one) AND THE LSx BY GM PERFROMANCE PARTS