Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 DynoJet Numbers Plus Plan B, C, D, E and F...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It's not easy, but it's doable. Most people can't see spending the amount of money necessary on just heads/cam and bolt-ons to hit that power level. It's easier and nearly as cheap to buy a budget 408, stick shitty heads on it, run the wrong cam, and run it with horribly mis-matched bolt-ons. You see lots of whining in the dyno section with people only making 460rwhp with a 250 duration cam in a 408. "Why doesn't it make 550rwhp?!" Sigh.

There's also plenty of head/cam cars that don't make the number either because of budget constraints and ****-poor combination matching. People who do their homework and are willing to spend cash on each little piece hit the number. My concern with that is this (and it's probably a lot of other people's also): is it worth it to keep adding thousands of dollars to the motor to get another 20-30rwhp? Getting to a certain power level NA does become expensive. Right now, we're seeing 500rwhp L92 combos and they are price advantageous. To get to 550rwhp, it might take several thousand more dollars to optimize it for that level of power. Diminishing returns has to become a factor. Cathedral port heads have their limitations so it's possible to budget with that in mind. In time, the L92s will have the same "knowledge asset inventory," or a backlog of combinations that proves what and what doesn't work.

That's why what WKMCD is doing is great. I may been down on these heads, but people like WKMCD may come across a great combination that makes me rethink the product.

Also, I'm sure WKMCD has spent over a thousand dollars to get 25rwhp and 30rwtq more out of his setup. That's not too bad actually, but someone else may have been happy with the 475/430 number. But that could have been done with a relatively proven head/cam combination for cheaper. To get that H/C combo up 25rwhp would probably have cost more than a thousand dollars, but still may have been cheaper than the 402/L92 build. But, as you pointed out 2c5s, price is not the only concern. Drivability, durability, and other factors have to be weighed as well.

Of course, if budget was not a concern, there wouldn't be this balancing act.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said JAKE FUSION, very well said!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1bigcam
when is some one going to put a real big cam in one of these set ups. waiting to see what kind of power is gained.
I've got a Comp Cams custom grind 236/246 duration, .601/.615 lift, 112 LSA which is a little bigger than they just tested. I'm at 148 miles on the engine and am just waiting to finish breaking it in before I put it on the dyno.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
You see lots of whining in the dyno section with people only making 460rwhp with a 250 duration cam in a 408. "Why doesn't it make 550rwhp?!" Sigh.

There's also plenty of head/cam cars that don't make the number either because of budget constraints and ****-poor combination matching. People who do their homework and are willing to spend cash on each little piece hit the number. My concern with that is this (and it's probably a lot of other people's also): is it worth it to keep adding thousands of dollars to the motor to get another 20-30rwhp? Getting to a certain power level NA does become expensive. Right now, we're seeing 500rwhp L92 combos and they are price advantageous. To get to 550rwhp, it might take several thousand more dollars to optimize it for that level of power. Diminishing returns has to become a factor. Cathedral port heads have their limitations so it's possible to budget with that in mind. In time, the L92s will have the same "knowledge asset inventory," or a backlog of combinations that proves what and what doesn't work.

That's why what WKMCD is doing is great. I may been down on these heads, but people like WKMCD may come across a great combination that makes me rethink the product.

But, as you pointed out 2c5s, price is not the only concern. Drivability, durability, and other factors have to be weighed as well.
I did a search and you're right. The very large percentage of 402 combinations do not make 500rwhp. We did it with the L92's with a baby cam. I'm not sure chasing the peak RWHP number will really move into the 525-550RWHP range until a much better/price effective/street intake manifold is "discovered". It may very well be that the down side of chasing the peak comes at a higher low/mid range preformance cost with this setup than you typically see in other configurations.

You know, this is the kind of discussion I really hoped this build would encourage. We're having fun doing something different.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, a supercharger will give you more power and streetability for less money. 500rwhp h/c cars may not be that streetable to you, but I'm not 65 years old, so I can enjoy a car like that. I made a big fuss with my wife a few years back when I bought the Vette. My rationale was to either have kids and wait to get the car, or to get the car now while I could still enjoy it.

A mid-life crisis is more fun when you're 24.
I don't know man... I have been beating the bushes trying to get my next project worked out... and if you have to replace an aging short-block (and I do... ) the price of doing the supercharger jumps by that much.

I priced out a new 383 (forged) short-block and a "used" IC Maggie (plus hood) and I keep busting 10K... In the other corner, a SDPC L92 415 with all my current mods needless to say is cheaper (for me). This assuming I will also have to spend a little to get my AFR205s Mamo'd to support the L92 415.

I know which one is cheaper... but a IC Maggie w/alky on a forged 383 sounds sooooooooooo sweet....

Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SideStep
I don't know man... I have been beating the bushes trying to get my next project worked out... and if you have to replace an aging short-block (and I do... ) the price of doing the supercharger jumps by that much.

I priced out a new 383 (forged) short-block and a "used" IC Maggie (plus hood) and I keep busting 10K... In the other corner, a SDPC L92 415 with all my current mods needless to say is cheaper (for me). This assuming I will also have to spend a little to get my AFR205s Mamo'd to support the L92 415.

I know which one is cheaper... but a IC Maggie w/alky on a forged 383 sounds sooooooooooo sweet....

That's true. I think you can do a 346 + Vortech supercharger with all your bolt ons (LG Headers, AFR 205s, etc) and be in just under $10k for all new parts.

A&A's Vortech kit $6k (with fuel system) + forged blower 346 (let the supercharger make power, not displacement) is $3200. $9200 right there and with the AFR 205s, you can make upwards of 700rwhp on 93 octane with that setup. If you install it yourself, you can basically factor another $1000-1200 for the tune, shipping, and everything else you'll need.

Now, off the hijack.

Originally Posted by WKMCD
You know, this is the kind of discussion I really hoped this build would encourage. We're having fun doing something different.
I'm glad it has remained civil. Keep us posted on what you're planning next.

Of course, to remain in the vein of this post, it might be worth welding up some material to weak spots of the L92s to increase strength and then putting a supercharger or turbo to them. 415 + L92s is just asking for a twin turbo or something.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

An LS2 Crate Engine from Scoggin Dickey is only $5,595.99
http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/4274...e-Assembly.htm

An L92 416 shortblock assembly is $4,499.95
http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/4274...-10cc-Dish.htm

Bottom line is that an IC Maggie would be the bomb!!!

Last edited by cybernco; 03-01-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I think the fact that these are GM parts found on stock vehicles (heads/intake) that the numbers are respectable. Not stellar, but respectable.
The fact that the CNC heads had minimal gain, again, can be viewed two totally different ways. The CNC work doesnt gain much, or are the heads that good from GM?
Yes they are. GMPP says so themselves - their CNC ported L92 won't have the big gains that we saw with LSX heads in the past.
Originally Posted by cybernco
I've got a Comp Cams custom grind 236/246 duration, .601/.615 lift, 112 LSA which is a little bigger than they just tested. I'm at 148 miles on the engine and am just waiting to finish breaking it in before I put it on the dyno.
No need. Get that thing on the dyno! It will break in better there than anywhere else.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm glad it has remained civil. Keep us posted on what you're planning next.

Of course, to remain in the vein of this post, it might be worth welding up some material to weak spots of the L92s to increase strength and then putting a supercharger or turbo to them. 415 + L92s is just asking for a twin turbo or something.
How about a Wilson Billet Intake..
Old 03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Ed's been tuning the car today and asked me to post this.

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Kevin, you are going to absolutely LOVE the low speed driveability. After a couple tweaks, went for a spin. How about 50 MPH in 6th gear at 1200-1300 RPMs? How you like them #s!!! VERY nice low speed manners, and SICK power. You wanted the best of both worlds, well, thats what ya got. I've got some more tuning on it, not much, but I'll be posting a summary late tomorrow.
I really think we knocked it out of the park!!
Ed, That's insane!!!
Who says there's no such thing as a free luch. 500RWHP that drives that well. I know you really wanted to post up a big peak number and had some other cams in mind but I think we got just the car I wanted or more.

I can't wait to drive is on Saturday. We'll be down about 11:15 is any of the local guys want to check this out.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by WKMCD; 03-01-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

When are you dyno'ing ???

Old 03-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That should run pretty damn good. I wanted to go with more lift, at least. The cam was ordered before we ever took the heads off. So we were unsure as to how much lift we could run. Turns out we could have run about .012/.010 more, respectively, without going LSK. Not a bunch more, but it was probably worth a few ponies.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Default Dyno Time

I'm going to wait until I have 3K miles, switch to synthetic oil and then put the car on the dyno. I've had the engine to 4500 RPM's so far, but at only part throttle. I'm cautious not to reach WOT just yet.

Hey has anyone had experience with Wilson Billet Intakes? I was reading about their products & it seems like they have some really serious stuff. Thanks for the post WKMCD.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WKMCD, I saw mentioned in an earlier thread that this thing still has the stock cats on it. Did I read that correctly? If so, a free flowing exhaust will net much better numbers and may allow another few degrees of timing w/o kr.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I posted this on another forum but I wanted to complete this thread.

Well, I picked up the car yesterday from Ed Hutchings at Automotive Technologies in Chesapeake, VA. Five of us made the trip. ALOHAC5 (thanks for the ride down), KIDCID, MCLEOD and LOWCASH. It was a great day for the cruise from Northern VA. Ed has a great shop and DynoJet setup.

Ed drove up and picked up the car last weeked. He swapped out the stock L92 heads and installed the WCCH Stage 2 CNC'd heads and changed the cam to a 234-240 112. A baby cam for for a 402. This is not a max build.

We got there and the car was freshly washed and looking good. Ed was excited about how the car turned out and I couldn't wait to drive it. I took Mike - ALOHAC5 - for a ride. I COULDN"T BELIEVE HOW THE CAR RAN! (Yes, I'm yelling) We drove through the parking lot - just like you would drive a stock motor. No clutch slipping, no lurching, no bucking..nothing but smooth. We eased out onto the roadway and pulled away. Up though the gears there wasn't a hint of any cam stuff - SWEET. Of course I had to hammer it a couple times just to remind myself that this is a 500RWHP car with 466RWT. The throttle response is instantaneous. A slight tip in and the rears light up not a little but until I backed off. I let MIke drive the car just to make sure I wasn't imagining how the car ran. He confirmed my impressions. The car makes sick power but drives like stock.

I know a lot of people say there H/C cars drive like stock but not many making 500RWHP do that are being honest. My My H/C 346 with a 230-236 112 had cam stuff going on. Nature of the beast. WIth the setup I can crawl through parking lots and cruise as low as 1100RPM. I put it in 6th gear and left it there the entire ride home running from 40-80MPH (the 80MPH part was on a closed circuit we stopped by on the way ).

I now have the "Gentleman's Cruiser" that I wanted. I can use the car to commute in DC Rush Hour, take on long trips and drive it for a long time. The MPG also went up to 20.5 on the way home. Up from 14MPG with the high overlap cam.

Did I mention that is makes 500RWHP and 466RWT. Hell it makes 380RWT at 2300RPM. - SWEET!!!

GARY - GB VETTE - stopped by with his sweet ride. If you haven't sen that car in person you should make a point of it.

Thanks guys for a great cruise down and back. Ed - you done good!!!

I've already got my next mod decided.....My *** in the driver's seat!

Last edited by WKMCD; 03-04-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
WKMCD, I saw mentioned in an earlier thread that this thing still has the stock cats on it. Did I read that correctly? If so, a free flowing exhaust will net much better numbers and may allow another few degrees of timing w/o kr.
They are hi-flow cats. I could run cat-less, 3.90's, lighter wheels, EWP, etc. But this is how the car will be driven everyday. Ed tells me his dyno is stingy. I'm not chasing every last HP. I'm very happy with how it turned out having driven it 175 miles home yesterday. Driving impressions posted here.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

CONGRATS on the experiment and the results!

Enough cannot be said for BIG power combined with part-throttle quality and low speed response.

I am headed there ASAP!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just re-read this entire thread....

Let me get this right... your current cam has 13 degrees of overlap at .050 lift and it has that kind-of throttle response and low-rpm quality???

Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Default Drivability

Congratulations WKMCD!!! Wow, killer results, your cars sounds perfect. Loads of power and the drivability of a daily driver was actually my goal, but I’ve definitely got loads of cam issues going on now. Thanks for sharing your results. It seems like we never quit learning more about the 400+ cid, L92 setup.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I just re-read this entire thread....

Let me get this right... your current cam has 13 degrees of overlap at .050 lift and it has that kind-of throttle response and low-rpm quality???

Kind of hard for me to believe also.. but 2 other people have driven it and feel the same. It just came out great. I won't hesitate to take it out on 66 in rush hour.

Last edited by WKMCD; 03-04-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: L92 DynoJet Numbers Plus Plan B, C, D, E and F...