Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.0 Iron block build up questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 Iron block build up questions

I've been doing some research and have decided to buy a 408 stroker iron block. I have already decided on worked L92 heads and a 232/240 .595/.608 115 LSA cam. The short block is built with boost in mind which is the route that I plan on taking in the near future after the swap. In order to make the swap go a little smoother I need a few questions answered. Some of these questions are going to make me sound kind of stupid but I have to ask them just be sure. First off will an ls1 oil pan work with a 6.0? Will ls1 headers work with a 6.0 or are they strictly built for each ls engine 1, 2, 3, 7 etc? And the biggest problem that I am having is finding out what to do about the computer to run the engine. I've heard some good things about the FAST system but for $2,500 it just sounds a little pricey. Any suggestions? I planned on getting speartech.com to make the wiring harness since this is going to be spliced in with the harness already in my car I figured I start with a brand new one instead of using one out of an older vehicle. Any other helpful advice with doing this build and or swap would be greatly appreciated. By the way the engine is going into a 1996 caprice.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything that fits an ls1 will fit your iron block motor-there is one hole thats not drilled in the frt of the block where the f body alt mount bolts-but that is an easy fix.I would suggest using a factory 01-02 f body ecu and a custom wiring harness.If you have any other questions,feel free to pm me or call the shop
Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

So what would be a good solution for the alternator fix? And also, wouldnt the dropout ecu have to be flashed by a dealership or someone else in order to make it work? And does this mean I can use an F body set of headers on the 6.0 block? Does it matter if its Gen III or Gen IV? Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol lol that damn alt hole i tell ya what. when i did my iron swap i was working at a chevy dealer (GMC now) it was about 3-4 in the morning when i hit that problem and i tell ya after researching the 402-8 stroker swap i had never heard of it. all i did was use my mich and check the depth on my ls1 block drilled a hole and tapped it works great. all headers will work any LSX 1-2-3-4-6-7-9 all will work same bolt pattern ( guessed on the 4)

i as well would use a 01-02 fbody computer. all you do is get the comp get a wireing harness or buy one and then get HP-tuners and you set the dealer wont need to touch it.
good luck on the swap
Old 07-11-2008, 03:42 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help, it should make this swap go much smoother. If there are any other 2 cents anyone wants to put in, please be my guessed.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

One other question, how can I find out "does anyone know" if my 1996 4L60E transmission will bolt up to the new 6.0 block that I will be using? I dont want to have to customize the transmission tunnel or buy a new driveshaft with the addition of a different transmission if I dont have to. If it won't bolt up, is there any kits out there that will allow them to? Thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 AM
On The Tree

where can I buy the hp tuner software to do the retune on the 01-02 ls1 computer?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HERE:

http://www.hptuners.com/products/
Old 07-11-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

My understanding has been that the input shaft of the LT1 and LS1 4L60E trannys are different. There would be no problems if you just switched to an LS1 4L60E. They are the same size. I'd switch to a 4L80E, if it would fit.. Way more reliable of a tranny.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, I'm actually finishing up my swap right now. If you go to Impalassforum.com and register there, there are at least 8 guys that have done this swap. If you have any questions, you can always pm me, and I'll help anyway I can.

For the tranny issue, checkout Street and performance. they have the mounts you need, throttle cable, and othe misc stuff. You can get a set of custom headers from them also. Most that go with LS-based long tubes, have to cut the frame ties, but seeing as that is also one of the attachment points for the lower control arm, I don't really recommend it.

Are you going with ETC or drive by cable? If you're going with drive by cable, then you need to know what year truck your PCM came out of so the tuner (or yourself) can delete ETC off of it. Same thing goes for the harness...you'd have to add wires for the TPS and IAC and delete the connector coming that would normally run to the TAC box.

For your tranny, you can use the LT1 4L60E, but unless its like a recent rebuild, then you'd probably save yourself some money by just getting the engine and tranny combo together and selling your 96 4l60E. If you are hell bent on using it, then you can buy the parts needed from Street & Performance to adapt it.

As far as the harness is concerned, I had to do a little finishing up on my harness due to the fact that there were a good bit of loose wires left floating in the harness. I'm in no way shape or form downing speartech, I just dont like the fact that a loose pink wire almost cost me a new PCM. The harness worked as advertised though.

Like I said before, If you have any other questions just let me know.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

I'm actually a member of impalassforum.com as well. I am familiar with street and performance, though I have had problems locating some of there products on their catalog because I have not called them yet.

As far as the headers for the swap, does this mean that there isn't really as set of long tubes out there that will fit without some cutting and fabricating?

As far as the ETC or the drive by cable, which one is easier to install? And or the least costly? And for the PCM I have actually found a company on ebay that sells salvaged computers from LS vehicles and will customize it for your setup along with the wiring harness that came out of that vehicle. For about $150 it sounds like a deal that kind of hard to pass up.

I do think I am planning on using the same tranny and just figure that when it comes down to it and I shred out all the gears, that is when I will do the tranny swap. I really wanted to do the 4L80E swap in the car but I don't know of many if not any people who have installed these into the 91-96 b bodies without extensive modifications. If you or anyone else has any suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks for helpful advice. You'll probably be hearing from me again.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

By the way GA95DCMSS, how are you liking it down there in Camp Lejeune? I spent sometime in Camp Johnson and it was one of the most miserable places I've ever been. Way too humid if you ask me.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For street and performances catalog, I just took it and combined them all into one pdf file with acrobat professional. The way they have it setup niw is kind of a pain. Street and performance can probably make some long tubes that will fit, but right now I have the mid-length headers on my swap. I didn't see them listed in the catalog but that may wanna be a question you ask them. I know roger (2TONCHEVY) is using long tubes, but I'm not sure which ones he's running, he said he did have to do a little modification to one of the primary tubes to get it to fit though. I think they were pacesetter F-body longtubes IIRC.

For ETC, that's really up to you. I personally prefer DBC, just because any adjustment or repairs I need to make I can do right there. You can run etc, but if you do, make sure you get the TB, harness, TAC box, and gas pedal from that vehicle. If you go DBC, I'm sure you'll be using the car intake manifold, which kinda limits the accessories you can use. YOU CAN use the truck accessories, but you have to buy an idler pulley relocation bracket from area 51 motorsports, and you can use the L92 truck water pump with very minimal modification. Oh and the upper radiator hose from a 2003 cadillac deville DTS fits rather nicely if u do use the L92 pump with the stock radiator. I'm not too confident in EBAY harnesses, but if it works out for you, then go for it man. I just had my truck harness modified by speartech, since I knew I was starting with a good base.

There are guys that have done the 4L80E swap before, it just takes a lil trans tunnel clearancing near the top to squeeze that beastly SOB in there. I may be going that route later this year when I do my 402 stroker myself.

As far as Camp Lejeune goes....I've been here since 2003...its time for me to move on...I'm going to be stationed in quantico, va beginning july 23 .
Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

With using the drive-by-cable can I still use my stock pedal? And can the TB, harness, and TAC box be from difference locations if I use this setup. I am going to be using a LSX 90mm intake manifold and a 90mm TB. And I have seriously started considering buying a dropout LQ4 engine and using all of the accessories and electonics off of it to run my new engine. Mainly do to the fact that I can buy a complete dropout LQ4 from oil pan to wiring harness for about $1,500. I plan on getting a shop to start doing the swap and when I return home, helping them with the rest of the project so I'm hoping to keep this as simple as possible. Thanks for the tips on the relocation bracket, water pump, and upper radiator hose. All very helpful.

I also just yesterday bought a precision 88mm "PT88" turbo and other additional parts to go with it. I know it's early for buying a power adder before even having the swap done but I figured if i buy now it will keep me from backing down on my initial intent on doing a single turbo 6.0 swap.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If using drive by cable, yes you can use your stock pedal. You'll have to use the lokar throttle cable though because the stock one is too short. If you can, get the TAC box, pedal, TB, and pcm from the same place, if you go etc.

I went with a pull-out LQ4 and 4L60E for 2200. Both with less than 45k on the clock. Tranny looks brand frickin new! I am using an ls1 oil pan modified to fit by s&p. There are some other pans that fit, but I haven't really looked at them, they are listed somewhere around here.

I'm switching to l92 heads, intake manifold, and a nice cam in the near future. I've even made a little shopping list lol. L92/402 stroker sounds very nice right now.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Oh believe me I already started the shopping list. "correct me if I'm wrong" I can still use the hp tuners software to flash the computer from the LQ4 and I should be able to use that with the 6.0 swap. All together to do this thing right before actually building the engine and installing it. I'm looking at about $12K which gives me $8k to get the engine installed and hopefully get my 88mm turbo fabricated into the exhaust and have the pipes and fuel lines run. And still stay in my 20K budget I was originally shooting for in this build. Either way it should be putting out some serious power compared to what I've got right now. I'm going to try to baby the car until my transmission finally gives and I'll just buy a fully built 4L60E from Dustman on impalassforum. I checked out his website and the stage 4, 4L60E looks promising.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes you can use the HP tuners software on the LQ4 computer. I'm not to sure about Shane's trannys...my homeboy Anthony (big_tugg) is on like his 2nd or 3rd tranny from him, and for some reason his car was always in limp mode. Irked the hell outta me...felt like I was driving a stick when i left parking spaces.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

You know I keep going back and forth with the whole 4L80E upgrade and it almost seems worth it. For a couple more grand I could have a stronger driveshaft and a transmission that is easily capable of handling the power that I will be putting to the ground. I might just have to say good bye the ol' 60E and go with something better. With the guys that are using the 4L80E in their impalas, have you heard of them having to take out the center console or having to cut any of the floor pan to get the transmission into the tranny tunnel? Or is it a fairly simple "hammering" procedure? I really hope that extensive modifications aren't required to do the upgrade.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you actually have to do some cutting to the bellhousing, but I'm not completely sure. The 80E is a pretty big tranny, and to fit it in our transmission tunnels is definitely going to be a tight fit. If you can find someone to build you a 4L60E that will hold up for a while, then that may be a better decision.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Well I do have a while to make up my mind. I'll keep looking into it and hope I come across some good information by the time the build starts. I'll keep posting new info. Let me know if you find out anything yourself.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Iron block build up questions