Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

413ci LQ4+L92/L76 Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red face 413ci LQ4+L92/L76 Build

Long time lurker, first time poster so I'm bound to forget at least some crucial information along the way ha-ha. Anyways, I'm trying to get a parts list together for this build I'm considering to put into a pro street 92 GMC Sonoma that we're building and I wanted to run what I have by the more knowledgeable as this is my first experience with an LS style engine. As you'll see, some of the parts are up in the air because I'm unsure whether they'll work with other components but that's what I'm here for! So here goes.
My only option restrictions are the L92 heads and iron block because I was able to get them for cheap some time ago.

Top End:

Stock L76 intake w/ 90mm TB with upgraded injectors (lbs. TBD)

L92 Heads
-Polished with some porting
-Checked for proper heights and milled accordingly if necessary
-3 Angle Valve job
-Manley Intake and Exhaust Valves
-Patriot Performance Gold Springs .650", Valve locks, Retainers, Stem Seals
-Rockers??? (Stock Offset, Stock Reinforced, Yella Terra, others?)
-If aftermarket, what ratio?

Bottom End:

-High Performance Hydraulic Roller Lifters from GM
-COMP Adjustable Timing Chain/SLP Double Roller Timing Chain (Opinions?)
-COMP Cam??? (Recommendations welcome, most likely a custom application)
-LS2 Waterpump
-SLP Heavy Duty LS2 Oil Pump
-High Capacity Oil Pan

Rotating Assembly:

-SDPC 413ci w/ Callies Upgrade
-11.01 to 1 CR w/ 66cc <--- I believe the bare L92 heads are 70cc. Yes/No? What does this affect if true?
-Manley Forged -7cc Flat Top Pistons 4.005" Bore
-Ackerly & Childs Moly Rings
-Callies Comp Star "H" Beam Rods 6.125"
-Clevite "H" series rod and main bearings
-Callies Comp Star 4.100" stroke crankshaft (I'd like to upgrade to the Dragonslayer if possible.)

Obviously the area I'm grayest on is the cam selection and rockers. Since they have to work in conjunction within their parameters, it's important to me to find out what those parameters should be. CR is also a gray factor but I know that head gaskets can help to alter it if it's too high. If I'm missing anything else, internally (i.e bearing kits, etc) feel free to say. I'm not so much worried about lines or hoses right now, I just want to get the engine built and sitting in the engine bay so I can move on to the 4l80e.

I haven't seen a lot of 413 or 418 combos on here so I'd like to know if it's just because other sizes are more popular or there are other obstacles that I'm unaware of. What I do know is that the longer this goes on hold, the higher parts prices get!

The guess last variables are what I'll be doing with it. I would like to spray it with a 200-250 shot of nitrous and my tuner would like to prep it for E85 since it will only be a track/weekend warrior. I think that would definitely be a "cool factor" point but I'm not going to focus on that. I'll probably have large enough injectors to run it anyways.

I can provide part numbers as well if anybody would like them. I'll check the thread regularly to keep things moving along. Thanks guys and girls!

Last edited by Drag SGT; 08-25-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Highlights and stating my purpose for the vehicle.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*Well thats a big build but still. Stock rockers should be fine unless you do some insanely crazy cam.
*L92 heads are 70cc so if you would go with that shortblock setup it would leave your compression LOWER by a little bit. About 10.5 or so i would say or in that neighborhood instead of 11:1 with 66cc heads.
*Cam choice? There are literally thousands of cam spec combinations you can go with that will work well, but the best cam is what you would like to get out of the car. Peak power is one thing 9which will usually mean insanely radical) but if you want a nice driveable car with good broad power throughout the rpm range then it changes the cam choice by alot.
*Also i would just go with a regular heavy duty single or dual roller chain. A heavy duty LS2 timing chain from the chevy dealer or SDPC will also do and they are inexpensive. No matter what chain, as long as its new, it will basically never break unless something REALLY goes wrong.
*Lastly, there is no need to upgrade the crank to a dragonslayer. All these aftermarket cranks will do the job well and there wont be a need to upgrade. Honestly even stock cranks hold 1000hp in some cases so there is no need. (You obviously cant go stock because its a stroker etc)

Hope this helped, good luck with the build!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fenix999
*Well thats a big build but still. Stock rockers should be fine unless you do some insanely crazy cam.
*L92 heads are 70cc so if you would go with that shortblock setup it would leave your compression LOWER by a little bit. About 10.5 or so i would say or in that neighborhood instead of 11:1 with 66cc heads.
*Cam choice? There are literally thousands of cam spec combinations you can go with that will work well, but the best cam is what you would like to get out of the car. Peak power is one thing 9which will usually mean insanely radical) but if you want a nice driveable car with good broad power throughout the rpm range then it changes the cam choice by alot.
*Also i would just go with a regular heavy duty single or dual roller chain. A heavy duty LS2 timing chain from the chevy dealer or SDPC will also do and they are inexpensive. No matter what chain, as long as its new, it will basically never break unless something REALLY goes wrong.
*Lastly, there is no need to upgrade the crank to a dragonslayer. All these aftermarket cranks will do the job well and there wont be a need to upgrade. Honestly even stock cranks hold 1000hp in some cases so there is no need. (You obviously cant go stock because its a stroker etc)

Hope this helped, good luck with the build!!!

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'll start getting in touch with suppliers to see if we can't find the most efficient cam that will take advantage of the cubes.

Yeah, the dragonslayer crank was just kind of a wish list piece. I had heard that it was lighter than the Comp Star series and thought it might be nice to have if budget allowed.

Sweet. I'm excited to do this build and eager to start ordering parts now. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to give a big shoutout to the guys over at Livernois who helped me settle down on a top end and cam for the build. We created a shopping list of everything they could get and if I could find it cheaper for another source, they matched/beat the lowest price: No hassles!

I ordered the ARP Head Studs, Manley Valves, Yella Terra Ultralites, Livernois Dual Valve Spring Kit, JP Performance Double Roller Chain, and the CTSV-R GM Performance Parts Lifters in addition to my intake ordered earlier in the week.

Everything else I can get from GMPD which has made this -BY FAR- the easiest experience I've had so far buying parts. It makes life so much easier when you only have to go to a few vendors to get everything and it helps build strong customer-business relations.

Once again, thanks guys! Especially Andy and Rick!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Did you check with Livernois on their rotating kits? They use callies/manley/diamond very top notch stuff.

I didnt see if you had already bought the 413 SDPC kit or not...
Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
Did you check with Livernois on their rotating kits? They use callies/manley/diamond very top notch stuff.

I didnt see if you had already bought the 413 SDPC kit or not...

No actually I haven't. I know they make a 404 ci rotating assembly but I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem making one up for me to use.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

here goes a cam for a l92/ls2 stroker im using on my 408 . and the specs on that cam is 230/244/.591/.619/114lsa
Old 08-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xdanny510x
here goes a cam for a l92/ls2 stroker im using on my 408 . and the specs on that cam is 230/244/.591/.619/114lsa
Now that I look over it, I see I forgot to mention that I bought their stage 3 cam. It's 242/248 .610/.618 W/114LSA.

That seems to be a little more than what most people are using in their L92 combinations but Andy said it would work well in a larger c.i. motor like mine. I'm not too concerned because cams are easy to swap out in the future if you're not satisfied or even just want to try a different combination.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Drag SGT
Now that I look over it, I see I forgot to mention that I bought their stage 3 cam. It's 242/248 .610/.618 W/114LSA.

That seems to be a little more than what most people are using in their L92 combinations but Andy said it would work well in a larger c.i. motor like mine. I'm not too concerned because cams are easy to swap out in the future if you're not satisfied or even just want to try a different combination.
haha yea i luv the ls motors cause they are very easy to get around into and swap cams. thats what im gonna do if i dont like it over the period of time and im gonna swap to a similar cam . 240/254/114 lsa
Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The guess last variables are what I'll be doing with it. I would like to spray it with a 200-250 shot of nitrous and my tuner would like to prep it for E85 since it will only be a track/weekend warrior. I think that would definitely be a "cool factor" point but I'm not going to focus on that. I'll probably have large enough injectors to run it anyways.
When I checked into getting a short block from SDPC they told me that if I was staying NA then the 413 was the ticket but if i was going to spray it go with the 402/408. The ring land isn't that big on the 413 pistons. They told me that I could probably get away with 100-150 shot at most. YOu might want to check with them about your goals.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1ORANGEWS6
When I checked into getting a short block from SDPC they told me that if I was staying NA then the 413 was the ticket but if i was going to spray it go with the 402/408. The ring land isn't that big on the 413 pistons. They told me that I could probably get away with 100-150 shot at most. YOu might want to check with them about your goals.
Definitely. I'm not going to order any rotating assembly until December/January so I have plenty of time to hash out any small (or large) details concerning my goals.

Do you know if the ring land size is common across all brands of pistons of that size or just the Manley ones? That's probably a hard question to answer but maybe one of the experts knows...
Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely. I'm not going to order any rotating assembly until December/January so I have plenty of time to hash out any small (or large) details concerning my goals.

Do you know if the ring land size is common across all brands of pistons of that size or just the Manley ones? That's probably a hard question to answer but maybe one of the experts knows...
The issue with the 413 is with the stroke, the wrist pin has to be moved further up the piston and the ringland will be made smaller. I think if you plan on spraying it with a big shot I would go with a 402/408. You're not going to lose much HP if any at all going with a few less cubic inches and you should be able to spray the heck out of it. I would still talk with the guys at SDPC to see what is possible.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

415 LQ4, Lunati crank, Lentz Rods, Weiscos, 10.5:1 CR, 226 cam ( G7x1) really built for boost, but it came out pretty nice NA

This is with an UN ported LS3 intake, UNported LS3 heads, STOCK 5 layer gaskets .054, thru an M6 with 4.10s in Pure SD, no maf.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Louis

415 LQ4, Lunati crank, Lentz Rods, Weiscos, 10.5:1 CR, 226 cam ( G7x1) really built for boost, but it came out pretty nice NA

This is with an UN ported LS3 intake, UNported LS3 heads, STOCK 5 layer gaskets .054, thru an M6 with 4.10s in Pure SD, no maf.
Louis,

I wasn't going to play along on this one. They seem to have in under control.

Kevin
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

I couldnt resist Kev I like the 320 rwtq at idle, and 400 rwtq @ 1600...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

I couldnt resist Kev I like the 320 rwtq at idle, and 400 rwtq @ 1600...
Louis, how well would that work with stock cubes lq4 and a bit more compression. See similar numbers?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Teching In

I talked to Andy today over at Livernois a little more today and he says we can put together their 404 kit with different domed pistons to raise the compression over their standard kit and it shouldn't cost much more than standard.

My assumption is that the only hurdle will be making sure the PTV clearances are still there.

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Hopefully -10 or so cubes won't affect my HP goals but the higher compression should make up for any shortcomings.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

Bore matters with these heads. Go as big as you can go
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
Louis, how well would that work with stock cubes lq4 and a bit more compression. See similar numbers?
Close, it would be like an 6.0L LS3 ( I call it that, its an LS3 top end on an LS2 short.) 460-480 rwhp and 420-440 rwtq This cam is a lot more mild than the setups we normally do, but they still produce killer numbers.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So I guess I was wrong about the ringland? I'm no expert I was just going off of what I was told about a 200-300 shot nitrous application.

Quick Reply: 413ci LQ4+L92/L76 Build