Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

Why is it called an LT1, again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Holy **** lol. Definitely out of the norm here lol.
Not really, at least for me it wasn't. I owned 7 LTX powered vehicles from 1999-2004 and experienced many of the same issues listed above, as most of the local LT1 guys did too. Don't ask me why I kept buying them, I suppose it to had to do with 'old school' muscle car sound and feel of the car I was hooked on. Now everytime I see an LT1 going down the road (which is rare, and probably for a reason) I cringe. I still have the scars on my knuckles from punching things out of frustration over those damn LT's.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always forget how many pussies claim to be car enthusiasts. This thread was a good reminder lol.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

I always forget how many pussies claim to be car enthusiasts. This thread was a good reminder lol.
The Mustang guys take the lead for that tho..
Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol I've never seen someone so defensive over someone else's lt1.... Not saying I hated the car, just had a lot of issues. I'm not an enthusiast because my car had a lot of issues.... Lol right.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

This thread is lame as ****. 90% of the people posting can't afford a brand new Vette anyway.

I haven't even looked at the architecture of the new motor yet. I'm sure it's good. They can call it whatever the hell they want.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^agreed. A bunch of people talking **** about a name of a motor they wish they had. Lol. I like all three generations of lt1s.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Your post is devoid of all logic.
You sure. LT1 fit into GM's basic V8 RPO usage. It has some name recognition in the enthusiast world (as it was twice used on decent V8 engines for their time). I highly doubt they give to ***** that some people are worried about confusion with previous versions. If you took a random sampling of people that hold a drivers license (say 1000) do you believe more than a handlful would be able to hold a meaningful discussion on this topic. So explain exactly where I was devoid of logic?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Anxiously awaiting a new LT4 & LT5
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
You sure. LT1 fit into GM's basic V8 RPO usage. It has some name recognition in the enthusiast world (as it was twice used on decent V8 engines for their time). I highly doubt they give to ***** that some people are worried about confusion with previous versions. If you took a random sampling of people that hold a drivers license (say 1000) do you believe more than a handlful would be able to hold a meaningful discussion on this topic. So explain exactly where I was devoid of logic?
Because GM isn't selling it to those people. They're marketing to the enthusiast that is at least a little educated on GM powertrain nomenclature. Just like the Z06 and ZR1 where RPO codes most certainly DO matter. Your "motoring public" comment was completely irrelevant.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Because GM isn't selling it to those people. They're marketing to the enthusiast that is at least a little educated on GM powertrain nomenclature. Just like the Z06 and ZR1 where RPO codes most certainly DO matter. Your "motoring public" comment was completely irrelevant.
No manufacture can market to a single group anymore. They have to market this thing to anyone and everyone willing and able to make the purchase/payment.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KonkeyDong
Can some explain to me why they are tagging LT1 on another engine?
Because they want to and because they can. /thread
Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
No manufacture can market to a single group anymore.
Every manufacturer that sells a niche market vehicle targets their customer. You don't market a 450+HP $50K+ impractical sports car to the "motoring public".
Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 PM

So i believe this to be about the new corvettes LT1 and the new engine going into the Z28 they have brought back to smack ford right back into its place... Ford has been dominating with the newer super snake and boasting 650 hp motors... after this engine is set in a corvette, or a z28 camaro, its Name is gonna carry on Chevrolets legacy to be the best competition in performance against ford once again. and if the engine design changes to something better? what ifs and such? its still a Legacy to show that there RPOs from the late 60s and early 70s are the Dominant car..
Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Every manufacturer that sells a niche market vehicle targets their customer. You don't market a 450+HP $50K+ impractical sports car to the "motoring public".
Please, you think all of the Corvette guys are going to have this conversation on the merits of using the LT1 RPO code based on the failings of the previous LT1.

My point is simple. It isn't that big of a deal that the opti issues of the previous version should have any bearing on the use of this name. The LT1 RPO code had enough brand value that they saw it as useful.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please, you think all of the Corvette guys are going to have this conversation on the merits of using the LT1 RPO code based on the failings of the previous LT1.
Have you SEEN how those guys nitpick over stupid **** like taillights? The majority of 2014 buyers will be coming out of an older Corvette, so they're aware of the heritage.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 78QuickSilverTruck
So i believe this to be about the new corvettes LT1 and the new engine going into the Z28 they have brought back to smack ford right back into its place... Ford has been dominating with the newer super snake and boasting 650 hp motors... after this engine is set in a corvette, or a z28 camaro, its Name is gonna carry on Chevrolets legacy to be the best competition in performance against ford once again. and if the engine design changes to something better? what ifs and such? its still a Legacy to show that there RPOs from the late 60s and early 70s are the Dominant car..
Ok, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. You know the new Z28 has the LS7, right? Not the genV LT1? They didn't "bring back" the LS7 either-it never left. They used the LS1 from 2006 through 2013 in the Z06's and in the '13 Corvette 427 Convertibles.

Also, Ford doesn't make the Super Snake. That's an aftermarket package from Shelby out in Vegas that any GT500 owner can have done to their car. Ford has nothing to do with it really, other than make the GT500's to begin with. The new factory GT500 has 662hp, if that's what you meant, but that's different than a super snake.

My point is simple. It isn't that big of a deal that the opti issues of the previous version should have any bearing on the use of this name. The LT1 RPO code had enough brand value that they saw it as useful.
The opti is more of a problem on the internet than in real life.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 05-21-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by mastertomos
ok, so i'm not sure what you're talking about here. You know the new z28 has the ls7, right? Not the genv lt1? They didn't "bring back" the ls7 either-it never left. They used the ls1 from 2006 through 2013 in the z06's and in the '13 corvette 427 convertibles.
ls7..
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a buddy with a 94 (non vented) that he's had for several years and drives it as hard as a person physically can drive a car. He's entered every burnout contest he has been present for and the car has never been in a garage for the last 10 years. It sits outside including the Iowa winters, torrential downpours in spring, and humid *** summers. The car currently sits at over 130k miles. Guess what? He's never had a problem either with his OEM Opti.

And I find it funny how you imply I have a bias scope on things because I currently own a 95 (I've clearly never worked or been around anything other than my own car, right?). Your opinion is correct because you owned the total bastard year '93 car

I've seen Vipers and GT500's that can't get out of the 13's after 10+ runs at the drag strip. There's too many variables to argue about 1/4 mile times and modification responses over the internet and aint nobody wanna read bout dat anyway.

Sorry your old LT1 car sucked, but don't blame the opti son!
The opti sucks plain and simple. A good idea in theory, but just in a horrible spot. And yes some are lucky, but I've seen a whole lot more that were un-lucky. Like I said the newer improved ones were decent motors, but still the ls1's bitch. I could make a 10 page list about why ls1's are better than ls1's and maybe just maybe 1 point on why an lt1 would be better.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So much butt hurt
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Entertaining thread, lol. I haven't owned an LT1, so don't have any direct experience there. I read through the entire thread though and find it amusing how when someone post about issues with an LT1, someone else says it's user error (installed incorrectly/poor quality parts/neglect etc). If someone else post about their problems, but provides enough detail that the aforementioned reasons cannot be blamed, other users reply and say the person who experienced the issues just had a bad car, and that the issues are completely out of the norm. One side won't concede that the engine could've been designed better, and the other won't accept that it was an ok motor, lol.

I don't care either way, and have no bias either way, but just found that trend amusing.

Quick Reply: Why is it called an LT1, again?