Why is it called an LT1, again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Great point and well said RedVert.

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'll sell you a "LT1" for cheap. I'm personally waiting for the first LS to LT conversion thread.
So am I.

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Model year is one of the first three questions asked at every parts counter I have ever visited, and have never been asked for the Engine RPO code. Considering that the Gen II LT1 and Gen V LT1 will never be factory isntalled in the same model years, this should be a huge non-issue.
You're right about this when it comes to cars that came with one of these motors from the factory. The same cannot be said for anyone with an engine swap. Looking back at the lsx legacy we all should realize that swaps will probably be just as commonplace with its successor, if not more.

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Most forums have sections tiotled appropriately for the Generations of SBC. If poster's would think before they type, which I realize is about as easy as spinning the Earth backwards, there should eb no issues.
You're right, we can avoid mistakes by being careful but its still an extra step that could have been avoided. I don't see how this was necessary. It seems to me like someone at GM with considerable pull has a real hard on for reusing old RPO codes and we're all being made to jump this extra hoop for their satisfaction.

On another note, it should be important for any company, most especially one like GM recently recovering from bankruptcy, to send a message which gives people the impression that they are advancing, making progress, leaving old ways behind and moving forward. Reusing old RPO codes probably does not send a good message as many are left thinking: "Great, more of the same."

Last edited by RedVertTA; 10-08-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedVertTA

So am I.

You're right about this when it comes to cars that came with one of these motors from the factory. The same cannot be said for anyone with an engine swap. Looking back at the lsx legacy we all should realize that swaps will probably be just as commonplace with its successor, if not more.

You're right, we can avoid mistakes by being careful but its still an extra step that could have been avoided. I don't see how this was necessary. It seems to me like someone at GM with considerable pull has a real hard on for reusing old RPO codes and we're all being made to jump this extra hoop for their satisfaction.

On another note, it should be important for any company, most especially one like GM recently recovering from bankruptcy, to send a message which gives people the impression that they are advancing, making progress, leaving old ways behind and moving forward. Reusing old RPO codes probably does not send a good message as many are left thinking: "Great, more of the same."
For real? If you have a Gen V LT1 swapped into any other car that has ever been built, you are sophisticated enough that there will be no confusion. In addition, why would or should GM care about this percieved inconvenience.

Most buyers wouldn't know an RPO code is it slapped them in the face. This whole arguement is in the enthusiast realm, which seems to believer that everyone else is a knowledgeavble and care as much as they do. Overall, the RPO code is a non-issue being made into an issue in small community for no good reason.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While all this bickering makes for interesting reading (not), I'm amazed that nobody has noticed that T comes after S in the alphabet, it seems that it could have been that simple the fact that the LT rpo's have heritage just made it that much easier.

Joe
Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Motoracer838
While all this bickering makes for interesting reading (not), I'm amazed that nobody has noticed that T comes after S in the alphabet, it seems that it could have been that simple the fact that the LT rpo's have heritage just made it that much easier.

Joe
Interesting point but if GM was going for alphabetical order all along then the LS1 would have actually been called the LU1 engine when came out in the 90's and the recent gen5 would have been called LV1
Old 10-24-2013, 01:09 AM
gnx
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
GM really messed up by calling the new power plant an LT. They spent the last 15 plus years getting people used to the name LS, weather it be LS1, LS2, LS6, LS9, LSX you name it. People hear "LS" and they automatically know what it is, this took GM 15 years to accomplish. A sort of pavlovian response one could say.

So why after 15 years and finally achieving name recognitions for the LS did GM change back to the LT? Same reason they needed a bail out I suppose.
well if those that really know their GM history go back to the late 60's & 70's and you will find all of those names used before,but i am sure its been said i just wasn't going to waste my time and read everyone's post's,lol as soon as i started reading the f u and fu that for no reason other than its kids that's have not grown up enough to talk like a grown up, I just dont waste my time.. have a great day.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

You're right about this when it comes to cars that came with one of these motors from the factory. The same cannot be said for anyone with an engine swap. Looking back at the lsx legacy we all should realize that swaps will probably be just as commonplace with its successor, if not more

All they have to say is

its a 6.2l LT1.
That by itself should prevent any and all of this "confusion" for you people. I mean seriously. Think about what you're saying. If a guy told me he was doing a 6.2L LT1 swap into his '66 Chevelle, there would be no question in my mind about which engine he was using. I definitely wouldn't be thinking of the anemic 5.7L from the early 90's. Even if he didnt say what size it was. Saying the engine size is commonplace, so don't even try to give me some half-@$$ed argument about how no one does that.

Quick Reply: Why is it called an LT1, again?