Why is it called an LT1, again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013 | 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by the_merv
ls7..
Lmao, oops.

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
The opti sucks plain and simple. A good idea in theory, but just in a horrible spot. And yes some are lucky, but I've seen a whole lot more that were un-lucky. Like I said the newer improved ones were decent motors, but still the ls1's bitch. I could make a 10 page list about why ls1's are better than ls1's and maybe just maybe 1 point on why an lt1 would be better.
The conversation was never intended to be Gen2 LT1 v LS1 at all, I never even compared the two. The LS1 is obviously a superior motor and you'll never hear me say otherwise. That doesn't mean the LT1 is junk like so many people assume.

Originally Posted by nate0031
Entertaining thread, lol. I haven't owned an LT1, so don't have any direct experience there. I read through the entire thread though and find it amusing how when someone post about issues with an LT1, someone else says it's user error (installed incorrectly/poor quality parts/neglect etc). If someone else post about their problems, but provides enough detail that the aforementioned reasons cannot be blamed, other users reply and say the person who experienced the issues just had a bad car, and that the issues are completely out of the norm. One side won't concede that the engine could've been designed better, and the other won't accept that it was an ok motor, lol.

I don't care either way, and have no bias either way, but just found that trend amusing.
I assure you, blowing headgaskets doesn't happen often when you redline an LT1 lmfao, a Gen2 LT1 is just a small block chevy with reverse-flow heads and a different distributor-that's pretty much it. The hate and ignorance is just amplified towards this motor because people don't know what they're doing or talking about.
Old 05-22-2013 | 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The opti is more of a problem on the internet than in real life.
I've helped 5 friends remove and replace the optispark on LT1's. Opti was a terrible design especially if folks drive through standing water. Maybe that's not a lot but it sure seems to be a common failure to me.
Old 05-22-2013 | 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Have you SEEN how those guys nitpick over stupid **** like taillights? The majority of 2014 buyers will be coming out of an older Corvette, so they're aware of the heritage.
True. I am just not convinced any potential nitpicking gave GM much pause when assigning an RPO code. All the complaining over the name is pointless. After the whole GTO naming fiasco, and subsequent bitching, we wind up with a nondescript "SS". Chevelle would have been fine on that car for me.
Old 05-22-2013 | 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Lmao, oops.

The conversation was never intended to be Gen2 LT1 v LS1 at all, I never even compared the two. The LS1 is obviously a superior motor and you'll never hear me say otherwise. That doesn't mean the LT1 is junk like so many people assume.

I assure you, blowing headgaskets doesn't happen often when you redline an LT1 lmfao, a Gen2 LT1 is just a small block chevy with reverse-flow heads and a different distributor-that's pretty much it. The hate and ignorance is just amplified towards this motor because people don't know what they're doing or talking about.
No def not junk by any means. Saying the lt1 was a high 13 sec car and the ls1 a mid 13 sec car is what got to me. Not accurate at all. I had both engines and have 3 different friends that have had both and all the same outcome. None of us could get the lt1's out of the 14's. My a4 ls1 150% stock ran 13.4@104.5.
Old 05-22-2013 | 09:14 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lawhead
So much butt hurt
Agreed..I wonder how many people have owned an LT1 Car.

I NEVER had an OPTI issue with my 95 Z28, and I spun that car to 6500 on a regular basis. Factory GM OPTI.
Old 05-23-2013 | 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

The LT1 was great back in its time as is the LS1 etc, but 20 years from now our children will prolly laugh at us with their 500whp factory beasts LOL
Old 05-23-2013 | 06:19 PM
Launching!

Not sure why so many are pissed at GM for reusing engine names when that's all they've ever done. I'm sure there will be another LS1 to come some day.
Old 05-24-2013 | 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Not sure why so many are pissed at GM for reusing engine names when that's all they've ever done. I'm sure there will be another LS1 to come some day.
it will never be the same ever again.
the only ls1 i will ever recognize is a 5.7 all aluminum pushrod v8
Old 05-27-2013 | 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clearly, calling it an LT1 will destroy Corvette sales and put GM back into bankruptcy. Thanks Obama!
Old 06-08-2013 | 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by X-ray
Clearly, calling it an LT1 will destroy Corvette sales and put GM back into bankruptcy. Thanks Obama!
Old 06-08-2013 | 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
Hello. Are you familiar with the concept of sarcasm?
Old 06-08-2013 | 10:52 AM
Launching!

When are the 2014 trucks released? Im trying to judge when I'll see a GEN V engine in my yard (work for salvage)
Old 06-08-2013 | 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by X-ray
Hello. Are you familiar with the concept of sarcasm?
yep & right back at ya!
Old 06-08-2013 | 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
yep & right back at ya!
Oh...sometimes its hard to tell over the internet.
Old 06-14-2013 | 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zlow28
The lsx name has been well know since the early 2000s. Where the hell did you get 15 years?

And no, it didn't go back to the lt1 name cus of a "bailout." That's got nothing to do with anything.
I hate to beat a dead horse but then you have the nerve to accuse the guy of not comprehending something Shame on you fella.

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
As long as it doesn't have opti crap we're happy. The LT1 was good for its day, but I don't care what you say they are a pain in the ***. lol, we charge extra to work on them.

Sean
Agreed.
Old 09-23-2013 | 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, I felt like I needed to read this thread with a waste basket in my left hand just to pick up all the trash that came out of everyone's mouths (or rather from everyone's keyboards in this case).

I don't think the issue with recycling the lt1 name ought to have anything to do with the performance of the lsx, gen 2 lt1, TPI or whatever other gm platform you can name. I think it ought to have everything to do with the fact that using the same name for 2 or 3 different things is confusing for all of us, plain and simple.

Consider this, from now on every time someone starts a thread asking for help with an lt1 they will have to specify which one. Every time someone calls a performance parts shop, visits their local auto parts store or a dealership parts department order they will have to specify this as well. Reusing the lt1 name is going to be the source of a lot of unnecessary confusion for a lot of people. There doesn't seem to be any reason to reuse the name but there seems to be plenty of reason to refrain from reusing it (this isn't the first thread where people have complained about the name).

If I ever do acquire one of the new engines I'm not participating in this reusing the same name shenanigans; instead if I ever need to order parts or post asking for help on a forum I will simply tell people, "I have a gen 5 engine."

Last edited by RedVertTA; 10-08-2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-23-2013 | 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Great point and well said RedVert.
Old 09-23-2013 | 11:37 PM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
If I ever do acquire one of the new engines I'm not participating in this reusing the same name shenanigans; instead if I ever need to order parts or post asking for help on a forum I will simply tell people, "I have a gen 5 engine."
I'll sell you a "LT1" for cheap. I'm personally waiting for the first LS to LT conversion thread.
Old 09-25-2013 | 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
Consider this, from now every time someone starts a thread asking for help with an lt1 they will have to specify which one. Every time someone calls a performance parts shop, visits their local auto parts store or a dealership parts department order they will have to specify this as well. Reusing the lt1 name is going to be the source of a lot of unnecessary confusion for a lot of people. There doesn't seem to be any reason to reuse the name but there seems to be plenty of reason to refrain from reusing it (this isn't the first thread where people have complained about the name).
Model year is one of the first three questions asked at every parts counter I have ever visited, and have never been asked for the Engine RPO code. Considering that the Gen II LT1 and Gen V LT1 will never be factory isntalled in the same model years, this should be a huge non-issue.

Most forums have sections tiotled appropriately for the Generations of SBC. If poster's would think before they type, which I realize is about as easy as spinning the Earth backwards, there should eb no issues.

Ulitmately, people are making a mountain out of a tiny molehill.

Quick Reply: Why is it called an LT1, again?