Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Guy 86 300zx, LM7 swap in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy 86 300zx, LM7 swap in the works!

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Well to start off this whole shi-bang, my name is Cameron, I'm 19 and I live in sunny side central Florida(worst county ever "Polk"). I'm currently attending college for Mechanical Engineering w/ Aerospace Track. I love to deal with anything that has to deal with work with my hands, not just cars but carpentry also.

No with the good part. Well this whole thing started just recently. I have had my Z for just about 2 years now and have done things to it, such as na2t, 3" turbo back exhaust, intercooler, boost controller, and misc other crappy things. Well just as of like 3 weeks ago I decided the hell with spending thousands of dollars to build this puny v6and I decided to go with the chevy 5.3L LM7. Got it for a whooping $381. Right now Im just in the process of converting everything from truck stuff to the F-Body stuff(as soon as im able to post a WTB thread i will have a list of parts I need).

Im also pretty sure that when I finish this swap the car should fly like a bat out of hell because of its lightness. Also after I get my camera fixed there will be tons of pics to follow the build up.

Cam
Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Welcome to the site. My ex has an '84 300 and she wants me to restore it. I'm trying to talk her into the LS type motor route as well. I've seen a couple of other similar projects on here that one could use for help. It's always best to let someone else make the mistakes and then use their knowledge. What do you plan for a transmission?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, I had an '87 300zx nonturbo a few years back. Slow as hell but still a cool car.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the warm welcome guys. Yea mine was sitting at just around 260hp to the wheels, so I was whooping up on those 350z and s2ks pretty easily. But I decided this route because I figure parts and HP are easier with these engines and who does not love a V8 powered light car. Also for the tranny I plan on going with the T-56, because I don't like the fact of having an automatic sports car.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My old man had a 84 300Z 50th Anniversary...that he abandoned in Conyers Georgia I may add, I'm thinking of getting a 71' 240Z and doing an LS1/LS6 swap in it... I already found the car...but the engine is supposedly in great shape so then I thought of doing a Resto-Retro thing and updating the interior from that of a mid 90's 300z, different wheels, new exhaust, etc....

When I get back to work and have the money to buy it, I guess I'll see what I can do with it....
Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

yea me and a couple of friends have a 71 240z that is our Z club's project, also have an 50th aniv. edition also.

Z's are great cars and when done right can be awesome little race machines and toys!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Teching In

I had an '85 Non Turbo (164HP) and '89 Turbo (205HP)

Loved them both. Good luck on the engine swap!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Man an 89' turbo, those things are actually really rare! you should have kept it!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Teching In

I regret it everyday. I was 20 and dumb. All my buddys were driving Chevy Trucks with 350's and 3.08 gears telling me how fast and badass the were. So I bought one and brought it back to the dealer the same day. What a turd!!!! I ultimately kept it, but I learned my buddies were dumber than I was.

So the next month, came pulleys, Jet 6-Packs, Air-Raid Intake and Exhaust. Still a turd, but a polished turd.

That '89 was absolutely perfect. Put a San Andres waste gate on it for more boost, filter and replacement ECM. The only real issue I had was with the adjustable struts seizing.

Man, thanks for helping me remember my regrets.

Quick Reply: New Guy 86 300zx, LM7 swap in the works!