Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Working for GM...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working for GM...

Hey guys, first post here...looks like a great site. I have a question that I'm not sure anyone can answer, but hopefully someone around here can. I'm about to graduate from college (I'm a mechanical engineer at GA Tech), and I just got an offer for a job from GM Powertrain up in Detroit. I don't know if I'm going to take it or not, but I want to know if anyone here has worked for them, and what the culture is like there. I did a tour of the proving grounds and some engine testing facilities, but I didn't get a good feel for what it would be like to actually work there. Any insight? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dbrunone; 12-11-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, I wish I had the opportunity to take that job. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

take it so all of ls1 tech can have the hook up
Old 12-11-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome. I have no idea what the work will be like, I just hope you' re ready for some cold *** temps and a WHOLE lot of crime being in Detroit.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Send a PM to Matt Harlan, y2khawk, he is a moderator here and works for GM in their computer/diagnostics area. Probably has some good insight about the other departments also.

I wanted to work for GM when I graduated Mech Eng. too, but the oil/gas industry paid way more and the weather down here is much nicer.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Send a PM to Matt Harlan, y2khawk, he is a moderator here and works for GM in their computer/diagnostics area. Probably has some good insight about the other departments also.

I wanted to work for GM when I graduated Mech Eng. too, but the oil/gas industry paid way more and the weather down here is much nicer.
Thanks for the contact. I see your profile says Houston...what company do you work for in Houston? I went there to interview with Shell a couple weeks ago....still waiting to hear back from them... :-/
Old 12-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Banned

That would be an awesome job!! Good luck to ya'
Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Send a PM to Matt Harlan, y2khawk, he is a moderator here and works for GM in their computer/diagnostics area.
Is that the same Harlan as Harlan' s shift light, and of 1000cc crotch-rocket smoking fame?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been a test engineer at GM's Desert Proving Grounds up until 2000 I would have to highly recommend the experience for a GM enthusiast. Like many people on this board I am a hard core GM guy and would die for the chance to jump on a position like this right out of college. From a corporate culture stand point, GM is like any other large company, you are just a small part in a big machine. A lot depends on the group you go to work for.

I would say, if it's just a job or your not into GM vehicles I would say pass.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

lol, I was a lotguy once for GM dealer out here on Long island-but wait, it gets better!!! I was then promoted to salesman! LOL!
(All kidding aside, you will have the time of your life, its very rewarding and fast paced..)
Old 12-26-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome
Old 12-26-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dam man take it b/c then u will really learn about cars and then u can tell us how they fix things which in turn might help us fix things that goes wrong in our cars! Deff take it!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a dope job, I went to Unigraphics class with some guys who work for ford, they did the transmissions, valve bodies mostly they said. They said all their software was being upgraded to unigraphics NX2 at the time.... I god damn hate unigraphics though, I much preffer Pro-E which we learned in college or even Solidworks which I am currently using now, did GM have a paticular software, maybe something to ask.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

And oh yeah, according to a fortune cookie I once opened many many year ago... "A hobbie is a lot of work that you wouldnt do for a living"

My father was big into cars until he bacame a mechanic... more food for thought...

I started out designing extruder parts, but our extruders extruded CATV wire, a dieing industry, we lost out to a bigger fiber optic company, now I design surgical implants, you know hips, spine stuff, if I told you some of it is a no brainer you probably wouldnt believe me, but there are no major assemblies, just pieces... its not like gear drives and coefficents and mass properties and interesting stuff like that, buttttt... the medical field is thriving, now especially for orthopedics with all the baby boomers getting older and all, google companies like Striker, Wyeth, Johnson & Johnson Becton Dickenson, Wright Medical, Boston Sientific just to name a few, you get in with something like that make 100k a year and have all the F-bodies you want, i wish i looked into medical whan i first came out of school, just my 2 cents, ill shut up now

PS: If you do decide to work for GM can you do something about the ****** heater blower motors, the last three cars i bought they all squeel... thanks man

Last edited by alamantia; 12-27-2006 at 12:11 PM.