General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stolen Car 1998 black T/A. What deterrent u use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen Car 1998 black T/A. What deterrent u use?

Well long story short. The plant I work at has our particular parking lot off roadand not visible. I was out for about two weeks dealing with staph infection. When I get back the guy that works here with his 98 TA got it stolen in broad daylight. Well I also drive mine here and we both built them to run so they are pretty loud but not to dog his, mine is in a good bit better shape. It helps I have less than 60,000 original miles.

QUESTION: What are your expiriences with lo jack on star-thinks like that. Also I saw something called revco or similar bug don't know what the hell it is. I'm going to have to swap with my wife bad as I hate too. At least they have two automated and one person to person verification before u get in the parking lot.

Please let me know any thoughts guys. I have a general feeling and am familiar with most all of these systems I'd just like to hear real world accounts.
Thanks A Lot
Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lojack,
guarantees recovery of ur vehicle in 24 hours, should lower ur car insurance abit too

http://www.lojack.com/car/pages/car-works.aspx
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

I would take your current fuel pump relay and cut 2 prongs off it. Use the current one so it looks dirty, like the rest of them in the box. Then go buy a new one. When you get out, swap the one with the cut prongs in. Your car may start and run for a minute or two, but it won't go far. Thieves usually carry fuses, but not relays. It may be a pain in the ***, but it's cheaper than a tracking system, and will stop your car from going very far.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EODguyJake
I would take your current fuel pump relay and cut 2 prongs off it. Use the current one so it looks dirty, like the rest of them in the box. Then go buy a new one. When you get out, swap the one with the cut prongs in. Your car may start and run for a minute or two, but it won't go far. Thieves usually carry fuses, but not relays. It may be a pain in the ***, but it's cheaper than a tracking system, and will stop your car from going very far.
Won't help if they tow it away.

Best thing to do is not drive it to work if one has already been stolen.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Problem with lo-jack is that it can't work for you until it's activated, which means if you can't even see the car anyway, someone could swipe it, and then 10 hours later you discover it's gone. The car could be in another galaxy by then, the lo-jack could get yanked out, etc.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
Won't help if they tow it away.
Guess I'll just have to take my chances.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

put a battery on off switch somewhere where only you know where its at and cut it off, not many thieves are ganna try to bother with a car they cant get started. and most are ganna assume a dead battery before they look for a relocation switch
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Problem with lo-jack is that it can't work for you until it's activated, which means if you can't even see the car anyway, someone could swipe it, and then 10 hours later you discover it's gone. The car could be in another galaxy by then, the lo-jack could get yanked out, etc.
assuming they are smart enough to locate it I agree, and if they are that good chances are I don't think they would be jacking old fbodies. The #1 stolen vehicle on the planet from what i remember were escalades, and for good reason lol.

The moment you notice its missing its activated, and the onboard gps tells the cops where its at from what I understand. Plus the 24 hour recovery guarantee is good piece of mind.

Another alternative thats not as low profile as lo-jack would be onstar, they're always linked via satellite and if its stolen they can power the vehicle down and **** like that remotely. Bestbuy sells them now but its a monthly subscription
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
put a battery on off switch somewhere where only you know where its at and cut it off, not many thieves are ganna try to bother with a car they cant get started. and most are ganna assume a dead battery before they look for a relocation switch
haha this is very clever! MY battery is in my hatch, and it'd be a bitch to get the hatch open without the battery connected. So by the time it takes for them to hotwire my car, realize theres no current, pop the hood, realize the battery isn't in the engine bay, go to the back to pick the lock?, open the hatch, unscrew 8 plastic nuts, connect the battery, close the hatch, reattempt to hotwire car he'd prolly get noticed or move on to jack 2 or 3 more cars
Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

You'd think with the gps and all the cell phone apps someone would think to link the two together. So that if you park your car, lock it, and hit a button on a key fob to arm the sytem. Then a place like lowjack, onstar or whatever monitors the vehicles position by gps. If the car moves more than x amount then the owner gets a call or text alerting them. If the owner doesnt respond for whatever reason for x amount of time the cops get called to the vehicle. Ive never checked in to any of those systems. Maybe this already exists. Just sayin.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

The Lojack Tracking has the upgrade for a key fob that stays with your keys (in YOUR pocket!) so if your car starts and moves w/o the fob in close proximity, they get a signal automatically, without the thief knowing. If your car is towed, YOU have to notice it being missing and then call the tracking center. This costs more per month...
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Plus the 24 hour recovery guarantee is good piece of mind.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that only applies during the first year of ownership, or something like that; there's some kind of time limit on that policy...
Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how much is lojack monthly anyways?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

i would like to know this as well
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Website says no fee...

http://www.lojack.com/why/pages/why-...ed-lojack.aspx
and total cost:
https://store.lojack.com/product.aspx?zpid=364
Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it was onstar that had the monthly fee, but thats cuz they have live operators, turn by turn directions, remote shut off and start, and roadside assistance. However its not as low profile as lojack, I use them for my laptops and its recovered one theft recovery from when i was in college. I think for a car it was like $700 bucks, also includes on site installation i think? which is about the price of a high end alarm system plus install if im not mistaken
Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Viper smart start in conjunction with a cleverly wired pager security system and battery back up should do. The smart start provides gps tracking of the vehicle thru a smart phone app, the security system slows a would be thief down (hopefully) while alerting you. And the battery back up is insurance if they make out with the vehicle and cut power you can still track it via gps. If a thief really wants ur car, they are going to get it, this is by no means a magic bullet.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd do the relay trick until I could afford a cheap DD. It'll keep the miles off your car as a bonus.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I feel your pain I just had mine stolen not long ago. What I wanted to chime in about was make sure lojack works in your state. I doesn't in mine.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

Make a kill switch and hide it in your ashtray so they cant hot wire it. Call your gm and ask what color wire is the ignition i help my grandpa put one in his truck