LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

New guy - Ripped Off by Thunder Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy - Ripped Off by Thunder Racing?

Hi all. My name is Phil Morrison. I'm own a company in the UK called Driftworks, and we're building an LS powered Toyota AE86 with Winter axle and Jericho gearbox.

I'm really sorry to join for this reason, but I saw a thread here that I can't reply to because I don't have sufficient privileges yet.
In that thread someone mentions that Thunder Racing are no more.
As someone who transferred them $4055.10 3 months ago for an order that should have been dispatched in 7 days, I am really rather concerned.

Up until last week, I just thought that they were the worst company I had ever dealt with by a very long way. But when they stopped answering the phones last week I had a feeling things were about to get a lot worse for me.

Can anyone 100% confirm that they have shut up shop?

Does anyone know where I stand with the debt they owe me of $4055.10? It was paid for by bank transfer on the 1st of February. Am I screwed?

Does anyone know Shane or Angie Personally?

Any help anyone can offer in getting my money back would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Phil
Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Teching In

they also have stuck me for 1200$$ for a set of ls3 t&D rockers. i have called them with no answer for the last 2 weeks. i left angie and shane both message and no one has called me back either. i filled a claim though paypal 2 weeks ago and i hope i can get my money back through them. good luck to u
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

This is concerning news. I placed an order for Pistons back on 2/28 and still have no word from them. Right now I can not get through on the phone or by email.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you pated by credit card I would contact the credit card company and try to get your money back. If you paid by check mailed thru the US Postal service then its a case of mail fraud Federal offence. Go thru the postal inspectors and press criminal charges. You can also contact the local Prosecuter and press charges for theft by deception.

I have been burned before and I take it very seriously. I strongly support pressing criminal charges. Thats the only real way to stop scammers. Many times when you press Theft By Deception the prosecuter will offer the offender the chance to make restitution.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response, funny thing is once I finished posting and doing my google/ls1tech research, I did exactly what you said, I contacted by credit card company and I filed a dispute. Now I wait 5-10 business days, if there is no response I get a 'temporary' refund to my account. They have 90 days total to come through with the delivery.

This just sucks because it puts my whole engine rebuild on hold and missing a lot of the racing season now.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

do a search for Thunder Racing on here and you will see that youre about the 1000th person to be completely fucked over by them, not at all surprising
Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
do a search for Thunder Racing on here and you will see that youre about the 1000th person to be completely fucked over by them, not at all surprising
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
Yup, lesson learned. Waiting on my refund and I will move on.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
JJT
On The Tree

This is messed up...
Old 04-25-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

So glad I went to Futral instead of Thunder.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Tenured Member

It's sad that company's have to borrow from Peter to pay Paul. In the end, someone is getting the big stick sideways wrapped in 60 grit! This really pisses me off!!

I hope you guys get back your money or get what is owed!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

paided though paypal and its been 45 days and they will not do anything after 45 days so that means I am out 1260$$. might be time for a road trip
Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

STAY AWAY FROM THUNDER RACING!!!! I ordered an LS6 valley cover from them before I saw the messages about the original owner leaving and the new people running the place into the ground. If you ordered parts within 30 days, contact your bank and file a claim, they will credit your account and go after the vendor themselves. That's what I did plus filed with the BBB. After 30 days, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Update: Despite being from the UK, I managed to find a very kind person in Baton Rouge to go to the shop on my behalf.
The shop was open and owner Angie was offering discounts on anything bought that week paid for with cash.
I had previously been told for months that most of my parts were there in stock, and they were just waiting for some Mast heads. So I actually spoke to Angie on this guys phone, and she said she would arrange for the parts to be ready that afternoon.
The guy went back, she apologised, and said the parts weren't ready and to come back tomorrow. He went back again and the doors were locked! I can't ask this guy to do any more than he has already, as I don't know him. He's just a really nice guy that's tried to help.

Basically do not trust a word that comes out of Angie Skinners mouth. I have been delayed and stalled to the point where I have no alternative but to think this is a malicious calculated theft of my money.

Unfortunately it was paid for by wire transfer, as is often required when purchasing from companies overseas. Friends have used Thunder Racing for years, so I had no reason to not trust them.

My only real option now is to pursue this with the police, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start as I'm 1/4 of the way around the world.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could contact your bank and speak with a manager or something to detail what happened.

Over the last several years Thunder has screwed people out of tens of thousands of dollars if not more.

Last edited by Patrick G; 04-26-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Do not bring up Geoff Skinner's name in this. Geoff disolved his interest in Thunder Racing 4 years ago.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've said it 1,000,000 times. Just deal with Geoff at eps. Thunder is trash without him. Texas speed is okay but they really delayed my engine being put together. Geoff has always answered any questions I have and is very knowledgable
Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

If they are indeed going out of business and owe you money your only hope is to negotiate a refund or settlement before they are under bankruptcy protection. Once they have been awarded this status the distribution of company assets must follow a prescribed priority of claims, consumer payments or deposits for goods and services are very near the bottom of the list.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

God damn I dont know how companies can run like this. I feel horrible if it takes me an extra day to get a customers order fulfilled, how can these people live with themselves?

Good luck to all those who got burned, I hope it works out!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhilMorrison

My only real option now is to pursue this with the police, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start as I'm 1/4 of the way around the world.
I PM'ed you some information that might/might not help.

I strongly encourage anyone bruned by these people to press criminal charges!!!!! That's the only way to make them stop, plus it's what they deserve!!!!

Frequently when criminal charges are press the Prosecuter will offer the SOB the chance to pay restituion to avoid jail. Why pay for a lawyer when your tax dollars already pay for a prosecuter?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Frequently when criminal charges are press the Prosecutor will offer the SOB the chance to pay restitution to avoid jail. Why pay for a lawyer when your tax dollars already pay for a prosecutor?
Unfortunately this is untrue. Thunder Racing is incorporated, the company's assets and business activities are legally separate from the owners. It may be possible to pursue fraud charges in civil court, but this claim would be against the corporation (not the owners) and any settlement would follow the priority of claims established under bankruptcy protection. Additionally, it is worth noting that any payments made by the company immediately preceding (or during) bankruptcy are subject to a claw back provision, all debtors of higher priority must be fully satisfied before the next class of debt can be addressed (even if you get a settlement the court can force the bank to pull it back); higher priority claims include secured creditors, attorneys, employees wages, administrative fee's etc etc. I suspect the UK has very similar laws. If they are bankrupt, you are in a very tough spot.

I am so sorry you guys are in this situation, it's total ****. If you had used a credit card, the credit card company would have probably refunded you, they would just eat the cost if the debtor was noncollectable.

Keep trying to get a hold of somebody on the ground down there to help you. If I were in this situation I would take whatever they would give up - parts, tools, machines, anything of value. Your odds of coming out whole are very bad otherwise.

Quick Reply: New guy - Ripped Off by Thunder Racing?