LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

FLT takes the wow factor!!! Lot of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default More Pic's...Valve Body Install

This first picture here is a trans ready to have the valve body installed. I have out lined the two holes in red that are required to align the separator plate, valve body/case gaskets, valve body, 1-2 accumulator housing and the spacer plate support. These pictures were taking when refreshing a unit for a customer. This a vacuum modulated unit.

I install these two bolts first to get the spacer plate and gaskets aligned using grease to stick the gaskets to the plate. Here is the Photo.

Then I install the the spacer plate support with the three bolts in the rear of the case along with the 1-2 accumulator housing. Here is the photo.

Then torque the bolts to 8ftlbs. Here is the photo.

ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group)recommends using this same procedure and then install the valve body after cleaning. Then I will remove the two alignment bolts and install the valve body. Make sure to install your wiring harness into the case first and also the lockup solenoid in to the pump. Torque the bolts for the LU solenoid to 8ftlbs. Then install the valve body using the two correct valve body bolts to align the valve body.

Making sure to install the two alignment bolts first, along with the three bolts that have 8mm heads in the correct position.

The bolt second from the right is the one to really watch out for here. These are the ones if they are in the wrong position will lock the gear train. Here is a picture of the different length bolts.

Picture of all bolts placed in the proper positions.

After lightly tightening your bolts down don't forget to do this. 8ftlbs

More photos coming so check back often. Feel free to ask a question or if there is something you would like to see post it. Enjoy Vince
Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.....keep the photos coming. Once again Vince, you're taking time to share more about our trannies with us. I know you've been busy cause you haven't been on the boards a lot. Hopefully your order board is full . Thanks for all the information. FLT ***!
Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Wow.....keep the photos coming. Once again Vince, you're taking time to share more about our trannies with us. I know you've been busy cause you haven't been on the boards a lot. Hopefully your order board is full . Thanks for all the information.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Vince

... just missed the DHL truck yesterday... so its Monday before I can get my goodies

Bill
Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Vince,

Good job on all your hard work recently.

I know how much time you take out of your schedule in order to try and take the collective knowledgebase here at Tech to a higher level. No doubt it requires a lot of forethought to think those pics and related narrative through. Not to mention I know you do it in your spare time, without interrupting the workflow.

I had an opportunity come up this week to do something similar and I thought of what you are doing here. I'll try to put up some pics showing a unique 4L60E tailhousing soon, it might help some guys out who are considering an old school conversion... You never know. We'll see if I am 1/2 as good a photojournalist as you are. You and I will have to compare cameras and techniques soon... LOL

Keep it up buddy, I keep hearing good things about you and Chuck all the way down here in Big D! I wish you guys much success in the future.

Take a minute to have one on me dude!

g
Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Wow.....keep the photos coming. Once again Vince, you're taking time to share more about our trannies with us. I know you've been busy cause you haven't been on the boards a lot. Hopefully your order board is full . Thanks for all the information.
Yes I have been busy. The sale has been good to us and my board is pretty full these days. I will continue what I do here for you guy's because I love doing it. Stay tuned! Vince

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Nice work Vince

... just missed the DHL truck yesterday... so its Monday before I can get my goodies

Bill
Thanks Bill. If you find you need anything else for your project you know how to find me. Vince

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Vince,

Good job on all your hard work recently.

I know how much time you take out of your schedule in order to try and take the collective knowledge base here at Tech to a higher level. No doubt it requires a lot of forethought to think those pics and related narrative through. Not to mention I know you do it in your spare time, without interrupting the work flow.

I had an opportunity come up this week to do something similar and I thought of what you are doing here. I'll try to put up some pics showing a unique 4L60E tail housing soon, it might help some guys out who are considering an old school conversion... You never know. We'll see if I am 1/2 as good a photojournalist as you are. You and I will have to compare cameras and techniques soon... LOL

Keep it up buddy, I keep hearing good things about you and Chuck all the way down here in Big D! I wish you guys much success in the future.

Take a minute to have one on me dude!

g
In fact I'm heading to the shop in a few minutes here to do some testing on a few topic's that have surfaced here on tech. I think I have the answer but I want to perform the real world test first. Always nice when you can back up the facts. If I remember correctly you are probably talking about a certain old school Chevy. From our conversations that sounds like a real fun project with like years of history! IIRC second owner of a car that was made in the 50's and purchased then as well. Very cool bud. Give me a call some time about the camera thing. I will admit it has taken some time to learn how to use it but then again I am just a dumb tranny guy!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:50 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah... that's the one. I think it is a cool thing not many folks have had the chance to see, might give them some ideas for their projects.

Had some down time today myself, needed to go see some family to get recharged today. Dang my nieces and nephews are growing! Then I get home and have some router / internet issues to contend with. SO I wathced some football, the Texas race, cooked dinner and then got the router to see things my way!

I'll work on that little project in the next few days.

g

In fact I'm heading to the shop in a few minutes here to do some testing on a few topic's that have surfaced here on tech.

Uh huh. Save that nonsense for Mrs Vince. We know the real deal, you ran out of cold beer at the house and had a few stashed in the fridge at the shop... we know, we know.... alllllll in the name of research!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad that you are going above and beyond Vince. Many people appreciate what you're doing with the pics and explanations, and know that they are putting their hard earned money towards a quality product that you stand by 100%.

Hope you had a good weekend!
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Default A Few Valve Body Pictures

This first picture is of one of our valve bodies totally disassembled. We do this on every unit that we build.

Here are some random photos of one of our valve bodies assembled.

More photos coming so check back often. Feel free to ask a question or if there is something you would like to see post it. Enjoy Vince
Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Any way we can get these photos put into a sticky? It's so informative as far as what's in our trannies, it'd be good to keep it at the top for those new to the A4's or just unsure of what's inside 'em like I was.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I like the idea as well. Make this a sticky!!! I will continue to add photo's as I get a chance to edit them. I have a bunch of pic's of the internal hard parts that I have been taking. On a side note here are some pic's of a finished trans along with a couple pic's of the dyno. I will put up some more photo's of the dyno in the next couple days. Vince

These are all pictures as to exactly what our transmissions look like when you receive them.

As you can see the unit comes complete ready to be installed. The only things that need to be transferred are any brackets, mounts and the speed sensor.

Here is a picture of a LS1 300mm bell, 300mm pump/stator and 300mm input shaft. Our units to come with the bell installed for you.

As you can see in these photo's of the transmissions, they are built like new right down to the oil pan. Every piece is addressed on every unit we build. This is just the way I believe it should be done.

This is where we put our ID mark. It includes the date the trans was built, the builder and what level it is. We have been doing this for the past couple of years.

Here is a photo of the transmissions cooler fittings. We install these for you before the transmission leaves FLT. They are a push in style fitting. Which means all you need to do is to push the lines into them until they snap in place. Always make sure that the clips are on the fittings before doing this. The bottom line is the cooler pressure out to cooler and the top line is the return from the cooler.

This is a picture of the 4th servo cover. This is where the 2nd and 4th servos are located on the transmission. The servos are what is used to apply the band in 2nd and 4th gears.

This is a picture of the transmission case connector for the 4l60e. We use new harnesses in every unit we build new.

All 2wd Drive units come with the correct tail housing. This is a picture of a F-Body tail.

All units come with the correct linkage. Either new or like new.

Couple pictures of the Dyno.

This last picture is one that is on our machine that I find funny. Enjoy Vince

More photos coming so check back often. Feel free to ask a question or if there is something you would like to see post it. Enjoy Vince.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

And see guys, if Vince takes all this time and effort to take and put all these pics up, imangine what they do to your trans when they get it!!

FLT for president!!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

I can attest to the like new finish on these trannies. I had some exhaust work done yesterday and the owner commented on my tranny while he was under there. Said it looked damned good!

I can also attest to all the new parts Vince puts in these. When he disassembled my old transmission, most of the internals were thrown away in the garbage....including the complete wiring harness. Most builders reuse those...but Vince says why not replace while in there...just another example of FLT's commitment to quality and the best tranny on the market!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Hopefully it's not a trade secret, but Vince told me that with all of the machining, assembly and dyno time, it required something like 10 hours or longer to build one tranny. My last tranny was thrown together in one hour while I watched. What's that tell you!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this one. When I was there, Vinnie and Chuck were riding it, trying to see who could stay on the longest.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

What is the flow rate coming out of the cooler line? What kind of pressure is seen there when connected to a cooler? What is acceptable?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
What is the flow rate coming out of the cooler line? What kind of pressure is seen there when connected to a cooler? What is acceptable?
This is a very good question and with the use of our dyno's gages, I have the answer. I actually have done this test and recorded the readings. Most transmissions depending on where the line pressure is at, the cooler flow and cooler pressure will change accordingly. Minimum is about 30psi cooler pressure with a flow rate .6 GPM(gallons per minute) and max is about 100psi cooler flow with 2.0+GPM. These reading obviously change as the transmissions line pressure increases. At an idle with the transmission line pressure at 70psi in drive, the cooler flow is at .6 of a GPM with about 30psi cooler pressure. As you increase the line pressure of the transmission the cooler flow and cooler pressure will increase. Also when the torque converter clutch is applied these cooler pressures will increase as well. For example in OD TCC unlocked with the transmissions line pressure at 150 psi, the cooler flow is at about 50psi with 1.2 gallons per minute cooler flow. With the TCC locked at 150psi main line pressure, the cooler pressure is at 65psi and 1.6 GPM cooler flow. I hope that my answer was what you were looking for and also that you have a better understanding now. Thanks for the reply. Vince
Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
This is a very good question and with the use of our dyno's gages, I have the answer. I actually have done this test and recorded the readings. Most transmissions depending on where the line pressure is at, the cooler flow and cooler pressure will change accordingly. Minimum is about 30psi cooler pressure with a flow rate .6 GPM(gallons per minute) and max is about 100psi cooler flow with 2.0+GPM. These reading obviously change as the transmissions line pressure increases. At an idle with the transmission line pressure at 70psi in drive, the cooler flow is at .6 of a GPM with about 30psi cooler pressure. As you increase the line pressure of the transmission the cooler flow and cooler pressure will increase. Also when the torque converter clutch is applied these cooler pressures will increase as well. For example in OD TCC unlocked with the transmissions line pressure at 150 psi, the cooler flow is at about 50psi with 1.2 gallons per minute cooler flow. With the TCC locked at 150psi main line pressure, the cooler pressure is at 65psi and 1.6 GPM cooler flow. I hope that my answer was what you were looking for and also that you have a better understanding now. Thanks for the reply. Vince
Great analysis. Just what I was looking for. Another question. What is a good running temp and what is too hot?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Matt D
I love this one. When I was there, Vinnie and Chuck were riding it, trying to see who could stay on the longest.

LOL! I used to date a chick that could do that!!!!

g
Old 11-08-2007, 06:06 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Great analysis. Just what I was looking for. Another question. What is a good running temp and what is too hot?
I like to see trans temps between 175*-225*. Any thing above 250* is really pushing it. Good question and thanks for asking. Vince

Quick Reply: FLT takes the wow factor!!! Lot of Pics