LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

FLT takes the wow factor!!! Lot of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smile FLT takes the wow factor!!! Lot of Pics

This all started when I blew my tranny two weeks ago. I started researching my options and looking at the different sponsors as well as local builders. I had looked into one local guy that's supposed to be pretty good, but he wouldn't tell me what he used in his units. He just told me to pay up and I'd have a good tranny. Sorry, but I like to know what I'm paying for.

Enter Vince at FLT. From the beginning, he's taken time out of his schedule to answer all my questions and respond to all my concerns about these trannies. I've made numerous phone calls and he always answers or gets back to me within hours. And of course their 10% off sale was the icing on the cake. So I made arrangements to pick up my new tranny and drop off my old one since I'd be in the area.

Enter wow factor!! I arrived when they opened this past Tuesday morning and got to meet both Vince and Chuck. They had my new tranny warming up on their dyno, so while we were waiting they took me around the shop and showed me everything! They showed me where they do their machine work, where they keep all the new parts, they even showed me their performance components compared to stock components. I was blown away. They showed me everything that went in to my tranny. I looked at the web page, and they don't list half the goodies that these trannies get.

Enter dyno time! That machine is amazing. They showed me how they can adjust line pressure, then ran my tranny through shift cycle three separate times at low throttle, half throttle and full throttle. It was really neat to see it shifting when he commanded it to. Very smooth and lightning fast!

After all this, I was feeling very good about my purchase and thinking this is as good as it gets. Wrong.....Vince offered to tear apart my old tranny so we could see how it failed! I couldn't believe this. In about ten minutes time, he had pulled it apart and inspected every nook and cranny. He showed me typical failure points and what they do to improve on them. He told me my old tranny failed basically because of improper assembly. Not being familiar with internal tranny parts, hopefully Vince will chime in and explain it better than I did. He showed me the failure area and it made perfect sense, but I can't remember all the jargon . I got to see a unit that's in for a refresh that has 4 years and ~650 horsepower on it. The internals looked pretty damn new to my untrained eye. Vince showed me some components that were worn, but they all looked way better than my old tranny internals.....and my old tranny went in this past January.

In conclusion, I got to spend 2 hours with Vince and Chuck and see one of the neatest operations I've ever seen. Those guys take their trannies very seriously and it shows. I've never been treated like that as a customer and I must say it has left a lasting impression. I wish I had bought from them a long time ago. My wife was with me, and normally she could care less about this stuff, but Vince sparked her interest and answered all her questions too. She was almost as excited as me when we left. It was an awesome experience and FLT has nailed it with their customer service. I'll post a review once the tranny is in, but after seeing it on the dyno I can already tell it's going to perform flawlessly.

My hats off to both Chuck and Vince. You have quite an operation and it's pretty obvious to me now why so many claim you are the best in the business. Thank you both so much for an amazing and very educational experience. I'll be in touch! Here's all the pictures I took.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who's dishpan hands are those in them pics?

g
Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it makes me feel that much better about whats under my baby right now... I knew Chuck and Vince were great guys but this was above and beyond the call IMO... chalk another point up for them top notch service and product... I'll be purchasing transmissions from them for as long as they are around... which should be a while for a respected successful company like theirs.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good to know, Ben. Once I get my tranny start acting up, I'll be looking them up.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:45 PM
8 Second Club

I've said it before and I will say it again... FLT for the win!!!

These guys treated me like gold when I delt with them as well. In fact Chuck spoke to me in ankle deep water when a water line broke in the shop. I asked him if I should call back at a better time but He sloshed around and walked me though everything I needed.

Thanks again FLT.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Just sent FLT my stock tranny to get it rebuilt. I didn't want to do the whole exchange cuz I wanted to keep the car numbers matching. I've had nothing but great service from FLT so far. I can't wait to get my tranny back and get my baby back on the road.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I knew Chuck and Vince were great guys but this was above and beyond the call IMO...
Exactly!! I assumed I would drop off my old tranny and pick up the new and that would be it. They are busy with this sale and all the orders that are waiting to be filled, yet they still spent two hours of their time making me feel right at home. I can't describe how impressed I was. LS1Tech and the LSX community are very fortunate to have sponsors like these two.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

so what kind of sounds was that thing making. Im about to take my old one apart to see what went in it.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:04 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Ben first off I want to say thank you for the kind words here. Your post here truly made my day. I look at it like this, you have done your homework and I truly believe that when you left the shop, there was no doubt in your mind that that the trip to Chicago was well worth it. I figured as you went through all this trouble and started this thread I owed you one. Here are a couple photo's I shot for you tonight to show you some of what is inside of your transmission. I will post up some more tomorrow. If I have time. Vince

This first picture is a picture of an FLT pump prior ro bolting the pump halves to gether.

This picture is a complete break down of an FLT pump assembly. It includes a completely in house machined pump. Meaning that we surface all of our pumps to verify flatness to eliminate cross leaks and imperfections. This is done with our lathe and a fixture that we own for a percision surface. These are the parts that go into this bad *** pump. A new ac-delco 13 vane pump rotor, slide, vane, guide and ring kit. Over sized Sonnax PR valve. Trans-go or Sonnax boost valve. Trans go pressure regulator springs. A Sonnax hi-rev pump slide spring. New bushings, rings and seals.

This picture is a picture of the reverse input drum and the clutches for it. Also you can see a picture of the wide band that we use in our level 5 units. This is the carbon lined band. A very nice piece.

Picture below is of the input drum with the internal pistons and spring cages already installed. Also the 3/4 clutches, over run and forward clutches have been laid out with the pressure plates and the sprag assembly.

Picture below is a picture of a fully assembled input drum.

More photos coming so check back often. Feel free to ask a question or if there is something you would like to see post it. Enjoy Vince
Old 10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

I felt confident in my decision before to go with these guys, now I feel even better about it. Top notch customer service!

Matter of fact, I just recieved my Level 4 yesterday and its going in tonite! Yes Chuck and Vince go way above anything I expected and I'm in retail sales myself.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

Awesome stuff.....definitely post some more if you get a chance.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Banned

i cant wait to get back and buy me a level 4!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 AM
11 Second Truck Club

oh snap!
it's an acdelco rotor pump kit.

good trans from these guys.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:08 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

A couple more photo's for you guy's. The first pic is of the case with the servo bore buffed with scotch bright and ready for assembly of the servo. Also you can see the way we return our cases back to the original virgin aluminum finish. It's not paint it's raw!

This second picture is a front shot of the case. Flat stoned sanded and also the 3-4 accumulator bore has been prepped with scotch bright as well.

Third picture here is another photo of a new reverse input drum, frictions and steels. Most of our units come with a new drum or a very good looking used one. I check these drums for wear on the inside and also verify that the band surface is flat. If it does not meet my standards it gets thrown away.

More photos coming so check back often. Feel free to ask a question or if there is something you would like to see post it. Enjoy Vince
Old 10-20-2007, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

What does the number 43 denote on the side of the tranny? Mine says 33 I believe. Is there a difference?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

That is just a number of the mold or something. Not very important as far as I'm concerned. More photo's coming. Vince
Old 10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

I have said it before and will say it again, Vince and Chuck are one of THE best in the business when it comes to transmissions. I too searched around and talked to all of the sponsors on LS1Tech, as well as a few local builders and others like Rossler & RPM which were a few states away. After talking to Vince on several occasions, sometimes after hours and on the weekend, I knew FLT would not let me down. I was able to see what actually went into my own personal transmission while he built it and was thoroughly impressed. I knew my transmission was built to the utmost quality, using the best parts, and that it would be able to handle everything I threw at it! It's good to know that it is not some assembly line built unit hacked together quickly just to get it out the door, but actually a one on one build that takes time and is built right so there are no problems down the road. Combine the great craftsmanship of the transmission with the in-house dyno that ensures the unit functions properly in all aspects before it leaves house, and the wonderful customer service provided by Vince and Chuck, both before and after the sale, it's no wonder why everyone across the world praises them for their great business!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

I'll definitely check with FLT when I tear down my car in 4 months. Looks like a great company to do business with.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

What does a rebuild cost from these guys? Im in need of a rebuild myself?? I just need a mild rebuild bc its going behind a stock motor?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:25 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Matt D
I have said it before and will say it again, Vince and Chuck are one of THE best in the business when it comes to transmissions. I too searched around and talked to all of the sponsors on LS1Tech, as well as a few local builders and others like Rossler & RPM which were a few states away. After talking to Vince on several occasions, sometimes after hours and on the weekend, I knew FLT would not let me down. I was able to see what actually went into my own personal transmission while he built it and was thoroughly impressed. I knew my transmission was built to the utmost quality, using the best parts, and that it would be able to handle everything I threw at it! It's good to know that it is not some assembly line built unit hacked together quickly just to get it out the door, but actually a one on one build that takes time and is built right so there are no problems down the road. Combine the great craftsmanship of the transmission with the in-house dyno that ensures the unit functions properly in all aspects before it leaves house, and the wonderful customer service provided by Vince and Chuck, both before and after the sale, it's no wonder why everyone across the world praises them for their great business!
Well Matt you know first hand as to the hours I put in every week to give you just what you payed for. The best that there is. Chuck and myself work very hard to keep that quality up to the highest standards in the industry and that will never change. Quality control comes before production around here. We also probably give you the customer more in parts than anyone else out there. Our level 4 unit exceeds most of the competition in the new parts alone. I guarantee it. Not to mention the years of RND behind a well known proven product. I know you have seen it for yourself as you did ask to sit in when I built your unit. Thank you for the kind words as always. Vince

Originally Posted by DanWS6
I'll definitely check with FLT when I tear down my car in 4 months. Looks like a great company to do business with.
Chuck the owner of FLT has been a sponsor here for almost as long as this board has been around. ProStockJohn can confirm that. We will be here when you are ready. Thank you for considering FLT. Vince

Originally Posted by bjamick
What does a rebuild cost from these guys? Im in need of a rebuild myself?? I just need a mild rebuild bc its going behind a stock motor?
I did send you a PM to discuss your situation. Thank you for your time. Vince

Quick Reply: FLT takes the wow factor!!! Lot of Pics