LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SSC Springs - get'em while they're hot!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSC Springs - get'em while they're hot!

I've been considering lowering the car (probably an unwise move here in Buffalo), but figure what the hell. If I don't like it, I can UNdo it and sell them to someone else.

Anyway, I was searching for the best price on the Eibach kit and swung through SSC to shoot them an email for a price quote. Got an answer in 30 minutes stating that the springs for the Impala are only $208 shipped now, well below the previous quote of $330+. I'm thinking that it's a mis-quote, but when I call to order, at least I have it in writing.(...not that they have to honor it.)

The price is US 167.95 plus $40 for shipping and handling. The drop is 1.6" front and rear. We normally have this spring set in stock as this is a popular set. We have a large number of satisfied customers who rate our springs far better than Eibach in terms of ride and price. You might want to check out some forums on the internet to get more information from satisfied users.
I have a set of KYB GR-2's sitting here in the office that have needed to be installed for quite some time now...and now it looks like I may just add the springs to the setup and call it a day. Install will be far easier if I can put it all together at once and slip them on the car.

What else do I need to put them together off the car? Just new strut mounts and possibly anti-pogo washers?

ANy of you guys with the SSC's have any complaints? I know most of you are still riding on 18's, so it will be a different beast on 20s.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice, I will be getting some this summer.

You also have a Monte Lip at the office you need to let me get! lol
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

The SSCs are one of the favorite mods done to my car. I love them and most of the time they are a complete after thought. The ride is superb and the performance is really noticeable. The great thing is when you are completely mellow driving the car, it doesn't feel lowered at all (no negatives like a bone jarring ride or intense bottoming out). But push the car hard...and its a different story. Combined with the STBs, there is no body roll, the car plants in turns, and it just plain drives better.

Put it this way I was running canyons all this weekend, with tight S turns and 90* doglegs and hairpins and sweepers, the whole deal. I beat two mustang gt's, both with bolt ons and new rubber and a g35 and g37 thru the Mulholland Snake (for the SoCal guys) with ease pushing my car hard...beating all RWD cars.

Let's say I'm a believer in a great company and some great springs.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Eibach vs SSC

same here

Eibach

SSC

Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 AM
Launching!

Default Link

Got a link to website for these springs?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

every time I see a car lowered with SSC springs, the back always seems to have been dropped more. I wish my Vogtlands wouldn't take months to arrive.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CenTexSS

Agree with that, I want to put one on my LTZ bad, also where did you get the kyb's
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Very nice, I will be getting some this summer.

If I DO lower it, I might have no choice but to get rid of the monte lip. I can't imagine the clearance issues I'd have if I installed that afterwards. I already scrape on some of the parking lot aprons in this area, so I have to enter on an angle.

Originally Posted by keviiinn
every time I see a car lowered with SSC springs, the back always seems to have been dropped more. I wish my Vogtlands wouldn't take months to arrive.
I think this is common of almost all springs. My friend just put Vogtlands on his 00-05 Imp on new struts and the rear still sits lower...and yeah, he waited months to get his. It's hard to find a car whose *** doesn't squat afterwards. These are 1.6" drop F&R, so I expect the same as well.

Originally Posted by 06MCLTZ
Agree with that, I want to put one on my LTZ bad, also where did you get the kyb's
I got the KYB GR-2's (not the adjustable AGX...too expensive) lightly used from a guy at NAIOA for half-price $100. They look brand new.

Originally Posted by Tappeter
Got a link to website for these springs?
www.superiorsportchassis.com
Old 05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Just to make sure that was the right quote I checked too. 167.xx + 40 S&H. Pretty Damn Good.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

They told me last year that the spring rate is different, and the springs are heavier-duty on the Impala, hence the (considerably) higher price than the Monte SS. I guess that was either 1. a load of ****; or 2. times are changing and they need to move parts; or 3. the guy was misinformed and provided a quote for the 04-05SS springs, and made the mistake twice.

I'll be calling to place an order (if all goes well) tomorrow. I need to grab the Monroe strut mounts from RockAuto as well, and maybe the anti-pogo washers from ZZP...unless someone says otherwise.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

can't wait to see it all done Buff. if it looks badass enough on your car, I might cancel my Vogtland order and just get the SSC springs.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Just checked the "Impala" account and the bonus check did not (fully) clear yet, so I'm going to take money from another account and deposit cash to cover the small diffference that I need to make up. SSC order will be placed this morning, if I can find the time to hit up the banks.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

The deed is done. Deposited some more funds in the bank and placed the order over the phone. $207.95 shipped to my door at work, and they said they could be on their way as early as this afternoon.

Gotta spend another $150 on strut mounts and camber bolts (@ RockAuto) so that I can have them put together before I slip them on the car, and align it afterwards, but that will have to wait until early next week.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you going to run the anti-pogo washers on it? and if so do you think that they actually work or are necessary? i sent them an email about that and there was no response.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the lower back bugs people they should just lower the front i think that would be badass anyways
Old 05-10-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

I meant to ask nacho and the other guys that lowered theirs if they used the pogo eliminators. not sure if we need them.

since all of the extra parts are so dame expensive...i'm just gonna buy the camber bolts and reuse everything else...mounts, insulators, boots, etc. tht money is better spent elsewhere, imo. it'll take all day to do this way...but it's worth it to me.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I meant to ask nacho and the other guys that lowered theirs if they used the pogo eliminators. not sure if we need them.

since all of the extra parts are so dame expensive...i'm just gonna buy the camber bolts and reuse everything else...mounts, insulators, boots, etc. tht money is better spent elsewhere, imo. it'll take all day to do this way...but it's worth it to me.
Nope, did not use the Pogo eliminators, re-used every single bolt, mount, and insulator....car was lowered at around 3k and now I have 13k with NO PROBLEMS.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Nope, did not use the Pogo eliminators, re-used every single bolt, mount, and insulator....car was lowered at around 3k and now I have 13k with NO PROBLEMS.

thanks N. I think ill be doing the same.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might ride different just because of the weight difference too. Er do they use different springs for the monte and impala?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

the part numbers are different between the impala and monte and the difference in the amount it drops the car is different too

Quick Reply: SSC Springs - get'em while they're hot!