LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tire Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Dilemma

Falken Ziex 912 or Firehawk GT?

I need all season due to the awesome weather we get here in the midwest but obviously need some grip too while trying to not drain my wallet

open to other suggetions as well...trying to stay under $175 per tire as I need alignment and a new battery as well
Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Teching In

14 views and nothing?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The all season tires, in my opinion, will do nothing for you in the winter...I am from Michigan and my all season BFGoodrich KDW's spun in the snow like no one's business.

If you want winter time traction get some winter tires...and cheap wheels. Blizzacks work well, or so I hear.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS

The all season tires, in my opinion, will do nothing for you in the winter...I am from Michigan and my all season BFGoodrich KDW's spun in the snow like no one's business.

If you want winter time traction get some winter tires...and cheap wheels. Blizzacks work well, or so I hear.
how do they wear during non winter conditions? how's the grip?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Opps didn't see you had an Impala SS. But search ebay because they have a lot of great deals. The only thing you have to ask when your looking at the tires on ebay email them and ask them what year the tire was manufactured. Same thing I'm going through right now but I decided to do seperate winter and summer tires for the fronts and then just some all seasons for the rears. I just bought a used set of these off of ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-New...Q5fAccessories and now on a hunt for some summer tires. Best price for performance I have seen are the Goodyear F1 Supercars at tire rack for $129. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...8&startIndex=0 Which is an amazing deal because these tires are normally around $300 a tire. Reviews look decent but looks like they came stock on the 300 SRT8's and with that car being so heavy and rwd it ate through the tire so I'm gonna ignore all those reviews and probally pick this tire up. Called around a few shops and looks like most places have this tire for around $155 if you don't want to use tirerack.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are alot of decent summer tires for cheap. And good all season wil work great in snow. ITS THE ICE that they will FAIL
Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speedoffastness
how do they wear during non winter conditions? how's the grip?
The Blizzacks work great in the winter for the 1st 1/2 of tread life then they are only as good as a regular tire.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cderry
but I decided to do seperate winter and summer tires for the fronts and then just some all seasons for the rears.
I may be wrong but I thought I heard that FWD needs to have snows on all 4 corners. Had bald rear tires before I got the F1's and the back end was always sliding out earlier than the front.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whatever you do dont put two winter and two all season tires on a car. That is just asking for trouble. Think about why you dont want to put a tire that has less grip on the rear of a car. If you cant come up with the answer you shouldnt be giving advice.

Also, get a set of summer tires and then winter tires. Especially if you see snow a good bit of the winter. All season tires usually get hard around 40 degrees while winter tires with their different rubber make up get hard around -15 degrees. Tirerack runs great deals on steelies and winter tires come fall.

For the money you spend on a good all season you can usually get a set of summer tires and half a set of winters.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

u actually want the worst tires on the front so the rear end doesnt come around on u.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Whatever you do dont put two winter and two all season tires on a car. That is just asking for trouble. Think about why you dont want to put a tire that has less grip on the rear of a car. If you cant come up with the answer you shouldnt be giving advice.

Also, get a set of summer tires and then winter tires. Especially if you see snow a good bit of the winter. All season tires usually get hard around 40 degrees while winter tires with their different rubber make up get hard around -15 degrees. Tirerack runs great deals on steelies and winter tires come fall.

For the money you spend on a good all season you can usually get a set of summer tires and half a set of winters.
So get all 4 summer tires and then when winter rolls around throw on 2 winter on the front?

I've never had to buy tires for the Impy before, just my old car....a Saturn SC2....no real worries about traction there haha
Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speedoffastness
So get all 4 summer tires and then when winter rolls around throw on 2 winter on the front?

I've never had to buy tires for the Impy before, just my old car....a Saturn SC2....no real worries about traction there haha
NO!!

Sorry, got to make sure you see that. Whatever type of tires you run they all need to match! If your rear tires dont grip as much as the front what will happen when they break traction first when you arent expecting it?

Seriously, get some steelies for winter with good winter tires and youll be blown away how good they are. They seriously are worth the money and are a huge upgrade.