LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering question

So I got my R1 concept rotors....now I'm ready to lower my car. I have a couple of questions before lowering.....With the SSC springs, is there any additional hardware I need to install for camber or any other issues; or can I just put on the springs, get a 4 wheel alignment and be okay?

Also, anyone have any rubbing with the springs?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

I'd advise you to get the Moog camber bolts at Rockauto, or any parts store nearby. There are two kinds at rockauto. I got the bolt with a separate nylon camber adjustment bushing, but probably should have gotten the one-piece unit. All 4 ran me about $55, and they install just like a normal bolt would, with the exception of having to adjust the bolt head when torquing it down (it will probably tell you to set the adjustment line between 3 and 9 (as if on a clock)...with one side giving you neg camber, and the other positive.

This setting isn't important if you're going to get an alignment immediately after. However, the bolts are a must...having them in place will save you money when getting the alignment, since they have no way to do it otherwise, and will charge you up the *** to provide & install them.

Other parts you may need are the mount components, if they're worn. I probably should have replaced mine (46,000mi), but didn't want to spend the extra $100+ on them. I couldn't tell how worn they were until we took the springs off the struts. Mine are not too bad, but I probably would have been better off, long run, doing it anyway.

My rears rub, but only b/c I'm running 255/35ZR20's...245's would have been fine, and Nacho is still running stock wheels & tires with no issues.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I'd advise you to get the Moog camber bolts at Rockauto, or any parts store nearby. There are two kinds at rockauto. I got the bolt with a separate nylon camber adjustment bushing, but probably should have gotten the one-piece unit. All 4 ran me about $55, and they install just like a normal bolt would, with the exception of having to adjust the bolt head when torquing it down (it will probably tell you to set the adjustment line between 3 and 9 (as if on a clock)...with one side giving you neg camber, and the other positive.

This setting isn't important if you're going to get an alignment immediately after. However, the bolts are a must...having them in place will save you money when getting the alignment, since they have no way to do it otherwise, and will charge you up the *** to provide & install them.

Other parts you may need are the mount components, if they're worn. I probably should have replaced mine (46,000mi), but didn't want to spend the extra $100+ on them. I couldn't tell how worn they were until we took the springs off the struts. Mine are not too bad, but I probably would have been better off, long run, doing it anyway.

My rears rub, but only b/c I'm running 255/35ZR20's...245's would have been fine, and Nacho is still running stock wheels & tires with no issues.
I will definitely get the camber bolts. What mounting components do you think I would need?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Are you installing them yourself, or having a shop do it? How many miles on the car? I'd hold off on buying mounts & insulators, but you may want to use this time to upgrade your endlinks (which I did). I bought the poly endlinks for the front, and had to replace the rears due to a torn boot/stuck nut, and went with greasable units. If you can find swaybar bushings, you could do those, too, but you're not necessarily taking off the swaybar (from the chassis), so that would be add'l work.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Are you installing them yourself, or having a shop do it? How many miles on the car? I'd hold off on buying mounts & insulators, but you may want to use this time to upgrade your endlinks (which I did). I bought the poly endlinks for the front, and had to replace the rears due to a torn boot/stuck nut, and went with greasable units. If you can find swaybar bushings, you could do those, too, but you're not necessarily taking off the swaybar (from the chassis), so that would be add'l work.
I am at 47,7xx right now. What is the benefit of the poly endlinks?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Okay If you need the camber adjusted you do not need the camber adjustment kit but it is the most proper way to do it. You can take a grinder to the outside edge of the strut bolt holes where it mounts to the steering knuckle itself. It is completely safe many manufacturer's slot the struts in this way from the factory and i do this on a regular basis at my shop. It is a cheaper alternative
Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pro_performer
I am at 47,7xx right now. What is the benefit of the poly endlinks?
Upgraded and/or poly endlinks (which connect to the sway bar) allow for less movement in the bar when turning/maneuvering. The OE's are rubber, and therefore flex more (just like the motor mount bushing).

There's not a rear poly setup, but you can get greasable units so that you can maintain them over time. Check rockauto for the best price, but I got a pair from my local Carquest for ~$33.

The front Poly kit is the 1" kit from energy suspension, and <$20.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/endl.html

P/N 9.8122 if you can find them local/online.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Moog makes some suspension pieces too.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've purchased the lowering springs. I am looking @ rockauto for a caster/camber kit. For Moog, they have 2 kits:

MOOG Part # K5330 - found under suspension then cam bolt kit
MOOG Part # K90474 - found under suspension, alighment kit

here are 2 other kits:
RAYBESTOS Part # 6161036 - found under suspension, alighment kit
RAYBESTOS Part # 6161050 - found under suspension, alighment kit

2 questions:

1) will the kit be necessary or will the caster/camber/toe able to be adjusted to the correct specs w/out it?

2) if it is necessary, how do I know which one to get?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

K90474
Moog alignment camber kit

MOOG K5330-Rear Rear Camber Adjustment Kit
MOOG K5330 Front Camber Adjustment Kit
Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you need all 3 of these?

K90474
Moog alignment camber kit

MOOG K5330-Rear Rear Camber Adjustment Kit
MOOG K5330 Front Camber Adjustment Kit
Old 07-24-2009, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, but I'm not sure how many bolts are in each of the other kits because the site said two required per vehicle for both items... K5330 and K5330-Rear. I would assume the other item is different bolts for a different ammount of adjustment.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where this P/N (K90474) came from, it is a special order part and you do not need it.

Here is the MOOG web page for the official problem solver parts, just scroll down and read.

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com....asp?cat=11264

They are the same P/N for your car, you can use 1 bolt per strut in the top position BUT, it is adviseable to put 2 per axel as recommended for stability of the alignment (as in potholes and sort)
Old 07-28-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is what I found at O Reilly auto parts -

MOOG - Cam And Bolt Kit
Item #: K90474
2 Per Vehicle
FRONT SUSP, REAR SUSP
14MM CAMBER BOLT
-1 TO +1 DEGREES

SPECIALTY PRODUCTS COMPANY - Cam And Bolt Kit
Item #: 81260
1 Per Vehicle
4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT
FRONT, REAR
EZ CAM XR
14MM

Both basically look the same; they are like a bolt w/ a nut and some type of washer. below is a link where you can look at pictures of both:
http://oreillyautoparts.com/EW3/Disp...ycleCount=1898

This may be a stupid question; where would the camber bolt be installed?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Upper strut spindel bolt. Eibach 81260 is the same thing also.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The MOOG-K5330 gives you +/- 1 1/4 degrees and if you use 2 per axel as recommended it gives you +/- 4 degrees to play with.
You can order them directly from mthe web site:
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com....asp?cat=11264[/url]
or NAPA,AdvanceAuto
As for where they go:
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...amberbolts.jpg
Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok...so how many sets would I need to purchase....4, 8? it doesn't seem to say how many bolts come per set. Also, would I be able to install these on all 4 wheels to adjust the camber (the picture shown seems to only be for the front wheels)?

Last edited by pro_performer; 07-28-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you are going with the MOOG each kit has 2 in it for 15.24 and that would be 2 kits for the rear and 2 kits for the front. That would give you 8 bolts all together, 4 kits.
That is to do it correctly as MOOG states, or you can put 1 bolt at each axel in the top position. 1 in each axel is all I have due to the MOOG Problem Solver kits were unavailable at the time (2006) but I do have my kits ready for my next alignment/Tires.

Quick Reply: Lowering question