LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Turbo project and more..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo project and more..

I have decided to keep the impy and just completly rebuild everything. I will be purchasing the Cartuning turbo kit, a completly rebuilt transmission (possibly a 6 speed if possible), HP Tuners, a cam, rockers, heads, headers, DR's and plan on having a 4 door car in the 10's **on spray and very low 11's w.o spray. Goal is to have between 600-650 whp w/ spray. Project will begin at the end of the year. If anyone has any suggesstions please feel free to comment.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a great plan. Let me know what you find for a tranny
Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

you're nuts. I can't wait to see the results...will you rebuild the drivetrain too and made it RWD?? k thx.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is going to be yet another LS4 patrolling the streets(even though we already do)!! Good luck to ya bro!!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

These cars are great, but just not worth the 10k+ plus you are going to put into it. Save your money and get a new Camaro SS or something like that.

If you really want to upgrade the car, then do minor stuff and be done with it.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck
Old 06-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Doooooooooo it!!! brooooooooo
Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

im excited to see someone go all out on one of these if you dont mind i would love to see the costs..... especially on the trans

good luck
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by IMPALA SS 07
I have decided to keep the impy and just completly rebuild everything. I will be purchasing the Cartuning turbo kit, a completly rebuilt transmission (possibly a 6 speed if possible), HP Tuners, a cam, rockers, heads, headers, DR's and plan on having a 4 door car in the 10's **on spray and very low 11's w.o spray. Goal is to have between 600-650 whp w/ spray. Project will begin at the end of the year. If anyone has any suggesstions please feel free to comment.
There is a 600 plus whp GXP in southern Ontario or north states, and he didn't need N20 to get it there just a bigger turbo than the one that comes in the kit. With weight reduction, custom 15" rims, Dr's and everything else you said and if you can drive you will be in the 10's

These cars are great, but just not worth the 10k+ plus you are going to put into it. Save your money and get a new Camaro SS or something like that.

If you really want to upgrade the car, then do minor stuff and be done with it.
Maybe he doesn't want to be like everyone else with a stang or camaro.. Everyone knows a ton of stangs, camaros, gtos, vettes etc than are in the 11's but how many ls4's? i know of 2,
Old 06-23-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, if you are going to go the turbo route, it would be terribly inefficient (cost per horsepower) to do the heads/cam, etc. While you will gain with turbo friendly cam, it is a considerable extra expense and how much power do you think you can get to the ground? Of course if you are making a track only car and are not worried about longevity....stronger axles, slicks, boost, and the occasional replacement of broken hard-parts will get you an exciting ride. For a car that you intend to drive on the street, I would stick with standard compression (some weaker head gaskets, so that if you do detonate/explode something, it is a cheap gasket instead of a piston) and get a serious dyno tune from somebody who has a lot of experience with aluminum block turbo'd cars.

Most will tell you that lowering your compression and raising boost is the way to go to make that kind of power. While I generally disagree and feel that lower boost with careful tuning and standard compression makes for a better package. Crisp throttle response off the boost and the like, however maybe going with lower compression pistons and upping the boost might be just the ticket for a front-driver. Less power down low where we already have too much and into the boost at the top of first and carrying it to second where there would be enough RPM/load to get right back into where it would really shine! Plus, you could always hit the button and get that extra 75 shot if you ever really needed it.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StealthV8
Maybe he doesn't want to be like everyone else with a stang or camaro.. Everyone knows a ton of stangs, camaros, gtos, vettes etc than are in the 11's but how many ls4's? i know of 2,
I hate to tell you this, but most people if they had a choice between a car that has very little to no aftermarket parts vs. a car that is above anything out there. Most people would go the route of buying the Camaro SS and doing mods to that.

10K+ trade in on the Impala SS would get you damn close to more HP/TQ with a better end result of add ons later down the road

10K+ on a FWD LS4 car is just going to be a lost project after everything is said and done. Dont get me wrong, these are great cars but not great enough to spend that kind of money when there are better options out there.

BTW, how many new Camaro SS cars have you seen on the roads? VERY LITTLE.... So he wouldnt be like all the others since most people do not have them yet.. He would become one of the few to have a great product car with alot of aftermarket support.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Why not have the new SS Camaro & a 600hp GXP

My wife is planning on trading her 2006 Mustang in for an 2011 SS Camaro.

Future plans for my GXP include a LS9 crate motor (supercharged 640hp), 6 speed auto (I'm getting old & this is my DD) & RWD.

Modding cars is rarely a sound investment but the thrill of having something different that you built makes it worth all the sleepless nights, busted knuckles and a little thinner bank account.

I say go for it!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heslekrants
Why not have the new SS Camaro & a 600hp GXP

My wife is planning on trading her 2006 Mustang in for an 2011 SS Camaro.

Future plans for my GXP include a LS9 crate motor (supercharged 640hp), 6 speed auto (I'm getting old & this is my DD) & RWD.

Modding cars is rarely a sound investment but the thrill of having something different that you built makes it worth all the sleepless nights, busted knuckles and a little thinner bank account.

I say go for it!
And you only live once So drink up
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

I would love to see the pics of a GXP with an LS9 with a procharger on it, but I just still do not get it..... Then again when I look at my Monte and think about this body style was only made for 2 years and thats it. It really makes me enjoy the car that much more and I want to do more. IE Rockers, better tune and maybe get Headers made.

We can always dream.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MCSS07

BTW, how many new Camaro SS cars have you seen on the roads? VERY LITTLE.... So he wouldnt be like all the others since most people do not have them yet.. He would become one of the few to have a great product car with alot of aftermarket support.
I've seen about 15, I've seen more G8s (about 25) and Camaros than GP GXPs, MCSSs, ISSs, and LSs combined. I've seen 9 GP GXPs, 7 ISSs, 2 MCSSs, 1 LS.

The new Camaro is just too big, I like it, but I'd never buy it. I like the WTF faces I get when people see my car. 14,000 GXPs, 10,000 MCSSs, probably around 12,000 ISSs, and probably around 10,000 LS, I'll keep my LS4. You can have an LS3/L99 if you want.

I say go for it. Be nice if we could twin charge...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

You could twin charge, but you would be driving from the back seats. LOL

I really do think, with the right money you could get a sweet Eaton blower on these cars and mod it enough to be around 400-410hp
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Need to make it AWD
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would an LS9 even fit? I'm all for thinking outside of the box and doing something different but seriously? Sounds like you can do alot of work yourself, but for arguments sake, lets look at having some of it professionally done.

Price of the GXP new(assuming you bought it new): around $30k
Price of a RWD and tranny swap with all the major custom fab work that would be needed to done: probably about $20k
Cost of an LS9 crate motor: $25k-$30k
Right there you have a $75k Grand Prix. Different? Surely. Remotely worth that? No.

You could save $20k and buy a CTS-V that would be a greatly superior car in every single aspect. Sure you didn't built it yourself, but you also said it's your DD. Tearing into a DD that much just seems foolish to me. Hell you could even snag a good deal on a G8 GT and get the APS twin turbo for it and still have an infinitely better vehicle for less than $40k.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why we fighting on his thread
Old 06-24-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this Club GP or something? I had to... lol... J/k guys.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Turbo project and more..