LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Strange clackety noise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange clackety noise...

My '06 Impala SS has about 52K miles on it now... I know I need brakes soon (still original) but it still stops decently and doesn't squeak. However, at times I have to roll past concrete construction barriers at around 30 mph through a work zone and every time I do, the wall being close to the car bounces the sound back to me so I can hear this... it's a rotational clickety clackety sound, somewhat random, sounds like something loose rattling around as the wheels turn. I can't figure it out. It seems to go with the rate of rotation and doesn't go away when I brake but disappears around 5 mph. Some things I'd guess it might be is loose centercap, pressure sensors in tire? ... never heard anything like it. Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still got the original tires on? Might be the wear bars.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never mind just read you have F1 A/S in another thread.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:03 PM

What about the steering shaft? Mine is loose and making a noise that sounds like your description...although you'd feel it in the steering wheel when it happens.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpeedMike
What about the steering shaft? Mine is loose and making a noise that sounds like your description...although you'd feel it in the steering wheel when it happens.
No, nothing in the steering wheel, pedals, floor boards, etc. I can only hear it when the sound bounces off something so it's pretty quiet.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know... I just remembered seeing a screw that holds the rotor to the hub last time the wheels were off. I bet one (or more) of them backed itself out and is flopping around between the rotor hub and the wheel.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed the same thing and it only happens when its in 4 cyl mode. Shift into 3rd gear so that the DOD is disabled and I guarentee the sound goes away. DOD lifters is my diagnosis cause the sound goes away. Some guys say it sounds like marbles or something but your sound seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing too. The sound goes away at 5 mph cause thats when the engine goes back into 8 cyl mode when coming to a stop. Give it a try and let us know.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nicksblown71SS
I noticed the same thing and it only happens when its in 4 cyl mode. Shift into 3rd gear so that the DOD is disabled and I guarentee the sound goes away. DOD lifters is my diagnosis cause the sound goes away. Some guys say it sounds like marbles or something but your sound seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing too. The sound goes away at 5 mph cause thats when the engine goes back into 8 cyl mode when coming to a stop. Give it a try and let us know.
Yuppo X2.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nicksblown71SS
Never thought of that one. Is it a problem or normal?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Its just lifter noise. My cars done that since new and burn oil lol. I brought it to the dealership 3 times and each time it was said its just the noise the lifters make. Its possible its something else. But since i had a tune and disabled DOD it only makes thats noise for the first say 30 secounds when the cars warming up.

07 GXP

Quick Reply: Strange clackety noise...