LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Who has a cam and DoD

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has a cam and DoD

Just as the title says. I've heard both ways. Some people say it isn't possible, some say they have done it.
Someone even said Comp has/ making one. Talked to comp, sales guy there said not the case...

I want to get the most out of my car obviously, but I do drive 104 miles a day and mileage is a factor.

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Era makes DOD/AFM cams for the G8's.....drop them a line.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

If you're worrying about mileage then maybe a cam isn't the best option for you.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still want to see one of these cars with a ProCharger on it....Wouldn't be as much power as the turbo options, but the instant power/torque would be a lot of fun

A ProCharger would be expensive though...more so than the Cartuning Kit
Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Launching!

Prochargers are awesome but combined with our FWD application I think it would cause more of a disaster when we launch....
Old 04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Before I got the turbo I had a P1 in my hands and tried mocking a little something up. Not goanna happen. As far as the launch, I would think it would be easier the Procharger makes more boost the faster you spin it. With my little 66 turbo I’m at full boost almost insatiately.

Last edited by Brian396; 04-30-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: I suffer from CRS
Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well darn....

The Trans would have to be upgraded either way too, the Turbo must be fun
Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont expect to much more from my SS but i think imma go with the New Era's Low Lift package. been trying to research it and gunna take a chance and see how it goes as long as i dont lose power well be good.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

A minor dip in mileage wouldn't be a big deal. That just comes with the territory and I understand that. I'm still a good ways away from a cam, just trying to get some idea and direction I want to go and who makes what...

It looks like new era makes a few things which is nice
Old 04-30-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd also be interested in a DOD/AFM camshaft. IIRC, the G8 one will not work.

Maybe someone can get them to make one for us.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why wouldn't it work?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wasn't talking about the G8 cam for use in our cars...New Era makes DOD/AFM cams....so we could get a custom grind cam...most performance shops that make cams will to a custom cam...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
I still want to see one of these cars with a ProCharger on it....Wouldn't be as much power as the turbo options, but the instant power/torque would be a lot of fun

A ProCharger would be expensive though...more so than the Cartuning Kit
CSC used to make a kit for the L36 3800 crowd. However, they stopped making it. BUT, that kit, is excatly the idea we need. The charger is powered by a shaft that is powered by the serpintine belt setup..

Some could probably make it work if they got a 3.8 CSC kit. I know when its on a L36 there a monster...
Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXP25
I'd also be interested in a DOD/AFM camshaft. IIRC, the G8 one will not work.

Maybe someone can get them to make one for us.
you might want to double check on that as NMP has a G8 cam he hasn't installed it yet but I'm sure he's done the research.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I ordered the high lift version of the kit. I talked to them and they said the low lift version had higher ramp rates and more duration at 0.05" than the high lift version, so I figured it was probably a wash as to which cam was harder on the stock lifters. The high lift cam made more power in their dyno tests, and more lift with less duration usually means better midrange too.

The kit comes with the cam, PAC 1218's, 7.45" chromoly pushrods (to account for the reduced radius of the cam base circle), and an LS2 timing chain dampener. The cam is a Comp Cams LS grind. It's a single bolt cam (07+ for us) that was ground not to exceed the lift limitations of the DOD lifters and to still operate when DOD was active. I’ve kinda pieced together from scattered conversations that they tried several grinds that made good power and chose the one that worked the best as a 4 cylinder too. The cam was designed with a 6.0L in mind, but the power peak in the 6.0 was somewhere around 5800RPM, so it’s not going to be too radical in a 5.3L.

I hope to install it towards the end of the month, along with the headers, when I finally get a weekend to myself. Once it’s installed, I hope to make it to the dyno for some WOT tuning and then the track.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Yeah, I ordered the high lift version of the kit. I talked to them and they said the low lift version had higher ramp rates and more duration at 0.05" than the high lift version, so I figured it was probably a wash as to which cam was harder on the stock lifters. The high lift cam made more power in their dyno tests, and more lift with less duration usually means better midrange too.

The kit comes with the cam, PAC 1218's, 7.45" chromoly pushrods (to account for the reduced radius of the cam base circle), and an LS2 timing chain dampener. The cam is a Comp Cams LS grind. It's a single bolt cam (07+ for us) that was ground not to exceed the lift limitations of the DOD lifters and to still operate when DOD was active. I’ve kinda pieced together from scattered conversations that they tried several grinds that made good power and chose the one that worked the best as a 4 cylinder too. The cam was designed with a 6.0L in mind, but the power peak in the 6.0 was somewhere around 5800RPM, so it’s not going to be too radical in a 5.3L.

I hope to install it towards the end of the month, along with the headers, when I finally get a weekend to myself. Once it’s installed, I hope to make it to the dyno for some WOT tuning and then the track.
Are you hoping to get rid of the bottom end torque? How much was the package (high lift)?

EDIT: I ask because my ultimate goal is to deal with the intake and exhaust (headers back) and then swap out the camshaft that will hopefully remove the massive bottom end torque (yet retaining DOD/AFM), thus alleviating the path to the 6T75 six speed automatic transmission swap.

I feel this is a must when going with that six speed (high first gear ratio of 4.484:1). And I will be going to that six speed; money is sitting around and waiting.

Last edited by GXP25; 05-04-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Added some more information.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are you talking about the new era performance kit? and if so is your kit custom or the high lift kit they speak of?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, it's the $750 New Era package: http://neweraperformanceparts.com/de...=E&PKV=dodhi|0

I've posted a couple times about getting rid of the bottom end, but it's not exactly that I dislike it and want it to go away. I just think losing the bottom end won't hurt performance, except for climbing hills in 4th. Actually, the gear change I already did will more than offset any lost bottom end, relative to stock. I think I'll be fine with whatever low end torque I lose, and the extra mid range and top end will really help acceleration. We have a high stall converter already in the car, too. Also, since I'll be able to spin the engine a little more, the RPMs will be a little higher after the 1->2 shift.

While this cam isn't as lumpy as Mixerda's, I think it will still sound pretty good. There isn't a lot of stop and go traffic where I live, so the overlap won't kill my mileage. If there was a lot of stop and go in my life, I might have paired a stock L76 cam with Crane 1.8:1 rockers. That would bump up duration but keep the overlap close to stock.

By the way, the only thing I know about this cam spec wise is the LSA (113) and roughly the lift (something close to 0.57" valve lift). They also claim to have dyno'd an extra 54HP at the wheels of a G8 GT. Sure I'd like to know the specs, but it's not like there are a lot of options.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

just an FYI, if your thinking of making power ditch DOD. While it is very possible to maintain DOD with a cam( i could have done it) there is a MAJOR issue. 4 of the 8 lifters are special DOD lifters. The problem is that those DOD lifters arent made for abuse. They explode.....which is what happened to me.
ditch DOD
just my 2 cents
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

would you still beable to drive daily without hurting anything?

Quick Reply: Who has a cam and DoD