LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

ls6 Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ls6 Intake Manifold

We need to find somebody to make the ls6 intake swap for us, any ideas?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing that could be made is the valley cover. On that note, all you need is a DoD VC and re weld the OPSU at an angle to clear the TB. make the appropriate spacers for the fuel rails, and if you have headers chop up the cross over.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

don't forget the mods to the manifold and a TB spacer.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JDMC5
don't forget the mods to the manifold and a TB spacer.
True. There's a lot of little stuff to be buttoned up.

I'm just not sure any shop would produce a bolt in kit that would be cost effective for us. If it could happen, I'd be all for it. I just don't see it. Maybe start emailing sponsors?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe we could get a list of parts and changes made to the manifold. With a quick write-up on the process etc and what changes were needed. Then you have a list of parts needed and a list of modification work that's needed and can send that to sponsors or shops? They could look over the plans and decide if they have the resources and tools available to tackle the project.

We might even be able to get a couple shops to do certain steps? Maybe One shop would be willing to modify the manifolds in bulk. Another machine shop might be able to crank out the adapters? etc.

Who has done the swap that would have some time to list the parts and modifications needed? at the very least, that would give us a sticky post of the details of this swap since many people would like to try it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 207 Likes on 100 Posts

Maybe I am just a cheap fiero guy, but I just do not think people will pay what a vendor would need to make a kit. I could easily see a vendor kit being in the $800 to $1200 range.

For a vendor to supply the kit, they will need a good supply of intakes that will meet the demanding quality expectations of their customers. Sure used works for the DIYer, but a scratched, blemished, faded or worn intake isn't going to make paying customers happy... so they would most likely be looking at buying/supplying the intakes brand new.

Similar issue with the valley cover, they probably would prefer to buy new and modify the new units.

Fit & finish of the fuel rails will also be a concern and they would have the most repeatable results with a new set that can just be bolted in place. Expecting the end user to bend or tweak the rails for proper fit will not have conistant results (and people will blame the kit, vs. their skills).

Then the throttle body adapter plate. An adapter already exists to mount a 3 bolt throttle body on a 4 bolt intake, but we need the opposite version. So they either need to design and make a new one, or modify the current one by drilling the 3 threaded holes oversize and countersinking for the bolt head and installing threaded inserts for the non-threaded 4 bolt pattern, it should be usable.

Lastly, you get into all the small stuff, like coolant crossovers, the PCV plumbing, and the sensor that needs cut apart/wires lengthened...

Using all new parts every step of the way will make this upgrade expensive in a hurry. There might be an opportunity for someone to do the intake/valley cover work via mail order (using the customer supplied parts), but then you have the additional delay and shipping both ways.

I will be installing an LS1/LS6 intake and fully documenting all the steps/modifications... but I am probably 6 months away from that point (gotta finish some other projects).
Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be interested in putting together a kit. I've already have an adapter that will clear the headers. For pics check out my thread.https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...r-adapter.html I'll be selling this one as soon as I hear from Supercatrx7. He has been working with me on the R&D, and I want to make sure he is happy 1st. Anyway I'd have to get a LS6 intake and modify it, relocate the oil sending unit, make an extension for the plug. I'm not sure about the valley cover, alternator bracket, or the fuel line. I want to have the intake in my hands first.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian396
I'd be interested in putting together a kit. I've already have an adapter that will clear the headers. For pics check out my thread.https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...r-adapter.html I'll be selling this one as soon as I hear from Supercatrx7. He has been working with me on the R&D, and I want to make sure he is happy 1st. Anyway I'd have to get a LS6 intake and modify it, relocate the oil sending unit, make an extension for the plug. I'm not sure about the valley cover, alternator bracket, or the fuel line. I want to have the intake in my hands first.
That would be great. A DoD kit of course. If you could, please make it so that the engine cover could still be mounted.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

that would be sweet
Old 07-08-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

If you have something that will clear the headers, I'd be interested in your services.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Launching!

I second that
Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
If you have something that will clear the headers, I'd be interested in your services.
Check the other thread.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXP25
Check the other thread.
He mentioned is 3 posts up. I was saying I was interested in all of it if he decided to do a kit.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

He mentioned is 3 posts up. I was saying I was interested in all of it if he decided to do a kit.
Huh? So why did you say "if you have something that will clear the headers" when he clearly stated that he has "an adapter that will clear the headers?"

Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, great job. Very professional looking.

-Mike
Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

You just aren't reading the correct intonation into that. Don't worry about it.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

You just aren't reading the correct intonation into that. Don't worry about it.
Again, tone in written language. The best way to avoid confusion and ambiguity is just to be clear upfront.

With that said, Brian396, would this kit have different options? Such as purchasing the entire kit from you or purchasing different components to send in for modification, etc.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

That adapter looks nice.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GXP25
Again, tone in written language. The best way to avoid confusion and ambiguity is just to be clear upfront.

With that said, Brian396, would this kit have different options? Such as purchasing the entire kit from you or purchasing different components to send in for modification, etc.
I don't see why not. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I would love to have one