LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need help with transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with transmission problem

It's an 06 GXP that frequently "freewheels" then shifts hard into gear when going from a stoplight into first and then 1-2 and 2-3.

It's at the dealer getting diagnosed after installing a new transmission. My service guy says the transmission and torque converter are both brand new GM parts with all updates installed and the trans still shifts like it did before the new trans.

Any ideas?

Last edited by LS1>girlfriend; 08-17-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

freewheels?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

RPM builds like it's in neutral but the range selector is in Drive.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if they inspected the flywheel...
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

I sure hope so. Before they decided on a new trans the tech pulled it apart and decided it was too worn to rebuild.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you get the problem fixed then its awesome you got a new trans and torque converter out of the deal
Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

The dealer says the trans needs to learn my driving style. I know the newer Silverados do this and I suppose it makes sense since it is a 4L65E.

Any opinions?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
The dealer says the trans needs to learn my driving style. I know the newer Silverados do this and I suppose it makes sense since it is a 4L65E.

Any opinions?
No. It shouldn't be free revving in Drive. Take it back.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the newer Silverados do this and I suppose it makes sense since it is a 4L65E.

Any opinions?
The 4T65-HD and the 4L65E have nothing in common. The 4T65-HD traces it's roots back to the late 70's and early 80's with GM's first compact FWD transmission, the TH-125. The 4L65E is descendent of the TH700R4.

I think the GM's naming convention is probably what has confused you.

First number (in this case, a "4") designates the number of forward gears.

The next letter designates the format, with "T" being for "transverse" (FWD) and "L" for "longitudinal" or RWD.

The "65" in the name only signifies the relative strength of the transmission compared to other GM transmissions in the same class. In GM's recent past, there have been transmissions like the 4T40-E (basically a TH-125c with overdrive and electronic controls) or the 4L80-E, which is an electronic TH-400 with overdrive.

The last letter is usually an "E" which designates "electronic controls". In our LS4s, the HD is obviously "heavy duty".

Sorry for the rant, but a lot of people don't really understand the relation of GM trannies, so I could not resist.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Teching In

It's an 06 GXP that frequently "freewheels" then shifts hard into gear when going from a stoplight into first and then 1-2 and 2-3.

It's at the dealer getting diagnosed after installing a new transmission. My service guy says the transmission and torque converter are both brand new GM parts with all updates installed and the trans still shifts like it did before the new trans.

Any ideas?
Maybe the electronics didn't get connected properly. The computer controls converter lock up and line pressure. The tech can drive it with star tester connected and determine when lock up is occuring.
Jim
Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
freewheels?
first thing that came to mind was free-*****
Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the explanation LS1 Racing.

Got it back today and it's doing the free rev with a shudder. Called after my drive home and he says I should drive it for a 2-3 days before calling back cause it's a brand new trans and he wants the Teflon seals to "balloon".
Old 08-18-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem when i bought my car it did it for a week and then it completely locked up. I mean didnt more it was a 3600 paper weight. they replaced it with a jasper and had no more problems. since you got a new trans and everything could it be something in the trans computer?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Any ideas?
Under no circumstances should a brand new tranny operate like this. Ever.

First tell us why a new tranny was installed.

Cheers
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

yeah this is definatly not right. a new trans should never do what your experiencing ,
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS4_DeltaV
Under no circumstances should a brand new tranny operate like this. Ever.

First tell us why a new tranny was installed.

Cheers
Before the trans was replaced, the car frequently "freewheeled" then shifted hard into gear when going from a stoplight into first and then 1-2 and 2-3.

After the the new transmission went in I noticed a shudder when leaving a stoplight which seems to have now stopped. The guys say the transmission has to "learn" how I drive and after a few miles it will shift properly which is seemingly true since it's getting better to drive every time.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Before the trans was replaced, the car frequently "freewheeled" then shifted hard into gear when going from a stoplight into first and then 1-2 and 2-3.

After the the new transmission went in I noticed a shudder when leaving a stoplight which seems to have now stopped. The guys say the transmission has to "learn" how I drive and after a few miles it will shift properly which is seemingly true since it's getting better to drive every time.
So, Its safe to assume it was doing the same thing before the tranny was replaced. Correct?

Cheers
Old 08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is very odd. After GM rebuilt my tranny, it shifted normally, like it should. No freewheeling, no shudder.

I did ask a buddy of mine who runs a trans shop if what you're seeing is normal, and he said that freewheling and shuddering is NEVER normal. He did say that the Allison trannies in the Duramax trucks will slip and shudder for a few hundred miles after a shift kit has been installed, then return to normal, but he's never seen that on anything else.

He said to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt, but you'll most likely be taking the car back to have them get it right.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

how long have you driven the car since you got it fixed? mine did it a little bit after i got it back but after like 300-400 miles went to normal.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS4_DeltaV
So, Its safe to assume it was doing the same thing before the tranny was replaced. Correct?

Cheers
Yes, it was shuddering from a red light, freewheeling and hard shifting between almost every gear before the trans was replaced.

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
This is very odd. After GM rebuilt my tranny, it shifted normally, like it should. No freewheeling, no shudder.

I did ask a buddy of mine who runs a trans shop if what you're seeing is normal, and he said that freewheling and shuddering is NEVER normal. He did say that the Allison trannies in the Duramax trucks will slip and shudder for a few hundred miles after a shift kit has been installed, then return to normal, but he's never seen that on anything else.

He said to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt, but you'll most likely be taking the car back to have them get it right.
Thanks for the info. I sure hope you and your friend are wrong

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
how long have you driven the car since you got it fixed? mine did it a little bit after i got it back but after like 300-400 miles went to normal.
Maybe 90 miles and the shudder seems to be happening less and less along with the car shifting smoother.

Thanks for all the info guys

Quick Reply: Need help with transmission problem